The Future of the Florida Panthers Blue Line is Bright

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Because Weegar entered juniors a couple years later than most and is 20 years old already, when will he be eligible for the AHL? He doesn't have to play four years of junior does he?
It would be kind of ridiculous if he can't join the Rampage when he is 21.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
Luckily for Panthers’ fans, Tallon has done a superb job of drafting Grade A defensemen during his tenure as the Panthers General Manager.

Grade A. Yeah.. about that..

Ghoste

#JustGetIn
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2005
San Diego, CA
Because Weegar entered juniors a couple years later than most and is 20 years old already, when will he be eligible for the AHL? He doesn't have to play four years of junior does he?
It would be kind of ridiculous if he can't join the Rampage when he is 21.

I would imagine that he starts there next season.

-ghoste

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
I don't think he's being negative... there's nothing to back that claim.

What defenders under Tallon have seen the NHL? Gudbranson. How has he faired? Really poorly.

Everyone else? To be seen. Defensive prospects are hard to judge. They look good but hardly Grade A.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL

What defenders under Tallon have seen the NHL? Gudbranson. How has he faired? Really poorly.

Everyone else? To be seen. Defensive prospects are hard to judge. They look good but hardly Grade A.

And maybe you are taking "Grade A" too literally. Next time she should say "Grade B" so we aren't blinded by our rose-colored glasses.
I know this team needs work and I'm not happy with the product on the ice, but nitpicking every little thing all the time is not going to make a lick of difference.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida

Ya. And to response to the other poster.. I'm really not trying to be negative or nit-pick as you put it. But, I think the phrase "grade A" is simply sugarcoating these guys. Hockey's Future certainly doesn't share the same opinion. They're pretty reputable. No? I like the positive articles, but I mean aren't we overrating our d prospects a bit. That being said, I'm done with Petrovic and Robak. They are the same road to obscurity as Keaton Ellerby. They both didn't show a single thing since their callups with this year. Looks like they will toil in the minors for a couple more years and then maybe if we're lucky one of them changes and evolves into an NHL'er.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Ya. And to response to the other poster.. I'm really not trying to be negative or nit-pick as you put it. But, I think the phrase "grade A" is simply sugarcoating these guys. Hockey's Future certainly doesn't agree with that. They're pretty reputable. No? I like the positive articles, but I mean aren't we overrating our d prospects a bit. That being said, I'm done with Petrovic and Robak. They are the same road to obscurity as Jacob Markstrom. They both didn't show a single thing since their callups with this year.

I thought Petrovic was ok (although the constant injures are a concern), bur Robak reminded me of Ellerby.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Matheson was also spectacular in the playoffs. The future of the blueline is bright. No, they're not all Ray Bourques, they may not all be NHLers(that may have been a bit extreme), but there is definitely a ton of potential there. More than most teams have. Anyone would have to agree with that.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Matheson was also spectacular in the playoffs. The future of the blueline is bright. No, they're not all Ray Bourques, they may not all be NHLers(that may have been a bit extreme), but there is definitely a ton of potential there. More than most teams have. Anyone would have to agree with that.

Yes.

But surely we will potentially trade some of these guys.

Android 16

Jun 23, 2011
Florida
I think I like Weegar the best out of those three. Matheson a close second, if he can crank the puck in the NHL like he can in college. Weegar seems like the closest to a true powerplay QB with the best vision and highest ceiling of offense. He plays with a load of offensively gifted players in Halifax and some other that talent has to rub off on him. However, he is a project. I'd say at least 2-3 years away from sniffing the NHL.

EnforceTheLaus

In the Year of Our Hatter
Nov 3, 2013

Definetly. Matheson looks amazing from what I've seen and he's checking off the boxes on what you see in great D men coming up. Petro has had an up and down year beasting in the early part and injury problems in the second. He is going to be very good, watched plenty of him during the early season and he has made great strides is choosing where to be agressive and where to make the finesse play. He just needs to shoot more with his cannon of a shot but I'm thinking he hasn't because there really isn't a wheelman in SA. Which should change with Weegar and Matheson (if he turns pro).

We also have kids like Raccine who will fill out the depth part of the D corps. What really is great is one thing is in common: size, strength and skill. All these kids are going to make one of, if not the toughest blue-lines in the league.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Yes.

But surely we will potentially trade some of these guys.

Oh of course, we have to. We'll have some good trading chips to add the finishing pieces.

I think I like Weegar the best out of those three. Matheson a close second, if he can crank the puck in the NHL like he can in college. Weegar seems like the closest to a true powerplay QB with the best vision and highest ceiling of offense. He plays with a load of offensively gifted players in Halifax and some other that talent has to rub off on him. However, he is a project. I'd say at least 2-3 years away from sniffing the NHL.

Matheson has a defensive game that Weegar will never have. I think you're severely underrating him.

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
Definetly. Matheson looks amazing from what I've seen and he's checking off the boxes on what you see in great D men coming up. Petro has had an up and down year beasting in the early part and injury problems in the second. He is going to be very good, watched plenty of him during the early season and he has made great strides is choosing where to be agressive and where to make the finesse play. He just needs to shoot more with his cannon of a shot but I'm thinking he hasn't because there really isn't a wheelman in SA. Which should change with Weegar and Matheson (if he turns pro).

We also have kids like Raccine who will fill out the depth part of the D corps. What really is great is one thing is in common: size, strength and skill. All these kids are going to make one of, if not the toughest blue-lines in the league.

Yeah I think Petrovic will be OK. Big d-men take a long time to develop. He's progressing, maybe not to where we wanted him to be at this point, but he's getting there.

Robak however...meh.

FrolikFan67

Apr 29, 2012
i see matheson at least being a strong #4 to a solid #2. mccoshen i see at the least being a solid #4 to a solid #3. mathseon and mccoshen both have potential to be solid 2nd pairing D, with matheson having a chance to be on our top line. gudbranson i see at the least being a solid #4 to a solid #3 at best. if we draft ekblad, and gudbranson develops like we know he can, and matheson and mccoshen end up being as good as we think they realistically can, having a top-4 of…

Matheson-Ekblad
McCoshen-Gudbranson

could potentially be very very solid for us. hoping matheson makes the jump to the ahl this coming season. petrovic I'm still confident in, he can still be a very solid #5 or #6. robak is nothing though, he's an ellerby.

Howboutthempanthers

Thread killer.
Sponsor
Sep 11, 2012
Brow. County, Fl.
I have been as critical of Robak as anyone in the past, but in his recent call up, I thought he was looked decent. He had his bad moments, yes, but overall I thought he looked fine to me. Willing to wait until training camp to see how he does.

JP Mick

Sep 24, 2008
Homestead, FL
Ya. And to response to the other poster.. I'm really not trying to be negative or nit-pick as you put it. But, I think the phrase "grade A" is simply sugarcoating these guys. Hockey's Future certainly doesn't share the same opinion. They're pretty reputable. No? I like the positive articles, but I mean aren't we overrating our d prospects a bit. That being said, I'm done with Petrovic and Robak. They are the same road to obscurity as Keaton Ellerby. They both didn't show a single thing since their callups with this year. Looks like they will toil in the minors for a couple more years and then maybe if we're lucky one of them changes and evolves into an NHL'er.

Fair enough, I respect your opinion and sorry if I seemed a little harsh.
I agree with you on Robak but I think Petrovic just needs some more time in the minors to develop.

Dr Beinfest

Jun 11, 2012
Washington, DC
And maybe you are taking "Grade A" too literally. Next time she should say "Grade B" so we aren't blinded by our rose-colored glasses.
I know this team needs work and I'm not happy with the product on the ice, but nitpicking every little thing all the time is not going to make a lick of difference.

It's not nitpicking, though. You said it yourself... rose tinted glasses. Not every player the Panthers draft is going to mount to their full potential, much less make it to the NHL.

Ellerby is a great example, for whoever brought him up. Neither Matheson nor McCoshen nor any of the Panthers defensive prospects are considered top quality. Even so, if they were, you could always get an Ellerby. Or a Robak. Neither of those guys are considered league top defenders.

The problem here is that people are tossing around words like they're certain. I don't think the Panthers blue line is bright, AT ALL. It's mediocre, at best. It's certainly not Grade A. Other teams have much better stuff than we do, and it's definitely an area we need to work on in the prospect pool.

FinlandPanther

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 16, 2009
Florida
It's not nitpicking, though. You said it yourself... rose tinted glasses. Not every player the Panthers draft is going to mount to their full potential, much less make it to the NHL.

Ellerby is a great example, for whoever brought him up. Neither Matheson nor McCoshen nor any of the Panthers defensive prospects are considered top quality. Even so, if they were, you could always get an Ellerby. Or a Robak. Neither of those guys are considered league top defenders.

The problem here is that people are tossing around words like they're certain. I don't think the Panthers blue line is bright, AT ALL. It's mediocre, at best. It's certainly not Grade A. Other teams have much better stuff than we do, and it's definitely an area we need to work on in the prospect pool.

I would definitely consider Matheson a very close to top quality defender.

Acadmus

pastured mod
Jul 22, 2003
Vermont

Don't forget Guds is still pretty young, wasted a year in juniors despite being overly talented for that level because he wasn't NHL ready yet but was too young to send to the AHL, then started right off with an NHL roster spot. He's short on seasoning, and that's made him seem behind the learning curve, but in reality he's probably not seen his peak yet.

ShootIt

Nov 8, 2008
IMO

Matheson tops out as a #2, probably becomes a 2nd line pairing guy.

McCoshen tops out as a #3, probably a 2nd/3rd pairing guy.

Weegar is a 3rd pairing guy, who can be the #1 PP guy.

JMO.

Based off highlights*, so don't take it as gospel.

I have been as critical of Robak as anyone in the past, but in his recent call up, I thought he was looked decent. He had his bad moments, yes, but overall I thought he looked fine to me. Willing to wait until training camp to see how he does.

I agree. He had some bad plays, but, who didn't?

He seems like he can be be good competition for the 3rd pairing.

Him vs. Olsen vs. minor FA depth signing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad