The future of KHL?

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Now is this really the right way to improve a national team?

I'll bet 500 vcash it won't.

Well its a start, if it gives them better performance then it can increase attention to hockey etc. For the long run, no its not the best way.

At the very least it may prevent young prospects from moving to Russia at early age now that there is a legitimate junior program/infrastructure in place.

loppa*

will it really be a "mainly Russian thing"?

Yes. Look at the teams really, there's like what two czechoslovak teams, one team AHL/weird experement in Croatia, one team in Latvia, and the rest in the russian realm, some 24 of them.

Now lets take a thought... 24... some 140 million people... lets say a team per every 5-6 million people. We can say that one team is in each one million er so city place.
So we look at expansion. Finland, 5-6 million in the country, center is Finland, DONE, no more finnish expansion.
And so forth, they add a few more such teams at max... for example, suppose they add one in Oslo, Stockholm, Berlin, and Milan - drop the croat team, and there you have it, they're set and happy, while they still are overwhelmingly a russian league which serves interests of Russian hockey.

Well if KHL has an agenda to popularize hockey going into Italy Belgrade, France and Denmark would be a brilliant thing. Look at Medvescak. I am certain it would help their local league and popularity would be huge as the competition would be 10 steps above the rest in the country, and its brand spanking new. (although Belgrade fans hmm might be a bit aggressive though) Those are new virgin markets. Easier to conquer than highly developed markets, but the prestige would be lacking.

MMhh i defenitively wouldnt say a Russian thing and rest were for show. If it was and KHL acted like it than the league would be another Superleague and noone would want to join, simple because the league would treat the foreign clubs like a stepmother (kinda like EBEL :D ). Not to mention have a nasty image. It is acting the opposite. Especially with the announced end result of haveing 16 foreign and 16 home teams. They are acting as they should, professional and fair. They want all teams to be strong to strengthen the league first and expand their market and revenue, and only second is increase production and retention of russian players. Russian teams are not privileged. Their goal is to rival NHL. they cant do that with haveing some constantly bad teams with low attendance only cause they are Russian. Its business.

Lol, Medvescak has been popularizing hockey in Croatia for quite some time. Going from their tiny thing they call a league, to the Slovenian league, to the Austrian league... years of popularization man... now to the KHL...
...oh whoops, do notice that all those years of popularization did not help croatian hockey develop whatsoever. Not a single rink was built, local talent was not produced.

thevreelander

Nov 10, 2013
Dunno. My issue is that there will always be people with crazy ideas. I am one of those, for example I'd like to see a team in Belgrade one day.

Lol. You're kidding man. It has always been a mainly Russian thing and always will be. The occasional non-Soviet space team only adds some flavor to the mix.

The big question is does a country like Finland say benefit from being a topping on the russian pizza. In general I think yes, because a used topping is better than a rotten topping. I suppose Finnish people might say oh but no, we could use it in another way, but alas the KHL is to some extent a vacuum which will suck out talent. That's how I explain the slovaks and czechs joining at least... too many of their players got sucked up, so may as well join the thing than be killed by it. Yet that's the point, it was a Russian thing and it remains a Russian thing, albeit with some additional appendage or something of that sort ya know.

I don't think this statement is accurate going forward, especially if the number of Russian teams in the league drops. Sure most of the leagues teams will always be located in Russia, but the KHL will be defined by it's popular, stable, and successful clubs in the end. I'm a North American, I enjoy the KHL and off the top of my head right now I think it's a Russian league because the successful clubs are located in Russia. I think of Ak Bars, Magnitogorsk, SKA, and Dynamo off the top of my head when I think about the KHL. But in five years if Jokerit wins the Gagarin Cup 3 times, they'll be the first thing that pops into my head whenever the KHL is brought up.

Just an Euro-outsider's opinion ;)

loppa*

I don't think this statement is accurate going forward, especially if the number of Russian teams in the league drops. Sure most of the leagues teams will always be located in Russia, but the KHL will be defined by it's popular, stable, and successful clubs in the end. I'm a North American, I enjoy the KHL and off the top of my head right now I think it's a Russian league because the successful clubs are located in Russia. I think of Ak Bars, Magnitogorsk, SKA, and Dynamo off the top of my head when I think about the KHL. But in five years if Jokerit wins the Gagarin Cup 3 times, they'll be the first thing that pops into my head whenever the KHL is brought up.

Just an Euro-outsider's opinion ;)

*snort* You really think that Gazprom will fund a non-russian team to kick the butt of the russian teams? o_O

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
*snort* You really think that Gazprom will fund a non-russian team to kick the butt of the russian teams? o_O

hockey its still a game. even this season it could happen. 5 non-russian teams will be in play-offs this year.

loppa*

hockey its still a game. even this season it could happen. 5 non-russian teams will be in play-offs this year.

The KHL benefits from having some non-soviet teams in the playoffs. They do not want the non-soviet teams being the lowest ranked teams. I mean come on, did they really expand their league to add teams that relatively suck? No. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Medvescak relatively sucked. ))) No offense of course, I just have a certain lack of respect for them until they actually do "a little bit" to help Croatian hockey itself, rather than helping foreign non-Croat leagues, all the time while milking thousands of people for their tickets to watch games.

Ivan94

Jun 1, 2013
Germany
The KHL benefits from having some non-soviet teams in the playoffs. They do not want the non-soviet teams being the lowest ranked teams. I mean come on, did they really expand their league to add teams that relatively suck? No. That being said, I wouldn't mind if Medvescak relatively sucked. ))) No offense of course, I just have a certain lack of respect for them until they actually do "a little bit" to help Croatian hockey itself, rather than helping foreign non-Croat leagues, all the time while milking thousands of people for their tickets to watch games.

medvescak´s job is to promote the sport. at this point they are doing well.
is it medvescak´s job to build ice rinks? the Croatian hockey federation fails with not using the popularity to increase development of players with new ice rinks and better educated coaches.

is 50kn(6,67€) for a ticket milking of the fans?

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
And to add to this argument Hocey has been popularizing since only 4 years ago. Before that there was no attendance at all (maybe 100-200 people). With hockey not being on any sort of side map of sports till than from 91.
As for doing for the sport Ivan said part of the truth, second part is it did make after almost 4 years the push for the Cro hockey federation to get of their ***** and do something. they are now but not enough. 1 ice ring has been built, It will be a closed ice rink in couple of years (maybe sooner), another open ice rink will be closed off in Sisak, hockey schools are full of kids, which wasnt the case 4 years ago, and Medvescak is still the adivsor and are pushing for opening of new ice rinks, but they can only do so much. And with the political mentality we have this is alot.
As for the canadians, they are picking as close as possible players to be home players. Except Borna Rendulic and Kostovic there are no croatian born players who can play on this team.
So you dont really have a clue im sorry to say. And mind you for any kind of meaningful step in hockey development it takes atleast 15 years to happen when you starting from zero.
Oh and "milking" tickets is what all teams do, and mind oyu they are cheap in reality. NHL teams live off of those so i dont see your point. would you be happy if there were no spectators?
OH right ofc its "penis" envy. Most russian clubs have such ****** attendance while poor ol 3rd world hockey country like Croatia has constantly filled arenas with passionate fans:)

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
how is making hockey popular not a good thing for Croatian hockey, you aren't going to get people interested if the level of play is crap and if you have no hockey tradition, it is going to stay that way for a long time. Bringing in foreign players is their only option for the time being. Their goal should be to field a team full of good Croatian players 20-25 years from now

loppa*

Guys, in my opinion, a full arena does not do much to help develop hockey in croatia. How many full arenas has medvescak had the last several years? Quite a few I think, and there has not been much to show from that. The interests of Medvescak are not also the interests of hockey in Croatia in general.

I am no expert on hockey in Croatia, but if I am not mistaken not a single rink has been built in Croatia since Medvescak started "popularizing" hockey by entering the Slovenian league some five years ago er so.

Ask yourselves how many millions of dollars have been collected via tickets, and then ask yourself what is there to show from that... very very little. Overall it is great for Medvescak, but again, it leaves Croatian hockey without much.

If you really think that hockey has been popularized in Croatia, do go to a Mladost game and tell me what you think of it. The croatian league is barely heard of, its games are barely attended. The croatian league itself is in a very difficult and unfortunate state. But supposedly you guys say that hockey has been popularized. Sure, foreign hockey, not domestic hockey.

edit/add:
if you have no hockey tradition, it is going to stay that way for a long time

LOL. Croatia was by far the best in hockey in the former yugoslavia after world war two. Where did you get the idea that it has no hockey tradition?
I must add that partizan from belgrade killed croatian hockey to some extent, but sucking out their best players from towns that once had respectable hockey (other towns too)... sucked up players from varazdin, karlovac, sisak, zagreb... now, hockey did recover in part, so that Medvescak was the winner of the yugoslav league in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
how many millions? first of all, none of that goes to Hockey Croatia aside from whatever tiny cut they would get through taxes, but it also costs a lot to run a hockey team so I have no idea where you think all this magical money is coming from, especially if they are charging 6.67 euros a ticket

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
Guys, in my opinion, a full arena does not do much to help develop hockey in croatia. How many full arenas has medvescak had the last several years? Quite a few I think, and there has not been much to show from that. The interests of Medvescak are not also the interests of hockey in Croatia in general.

I am no expert on hockey in Croatia, but if I am not mistaken not a single rink has been built in Croatia since Medvescak started "popularizing" hockey by entering the Slovenian league some five years ago er so.

Ask yourselves how many millions of dollars have been collected via tickets, and then ask yourself what is there to show from that... very very little. Overall it is great for Medvescak, but again, it leaves Croatian hockey without much.

If you really think that hockey has been popularized in Croatia, do go to a Mladost game and tell me what you think of it. The croatian league is barely heard of, its games are barely attended. The croatian league itself is in a very difficult and unfortunate state. But supposedly you guys say that hockey has been popularized. Sure, foreign hockey, not domestic hockey.

edit/add:

LOL. Croatia was by far the best in hockey in the former yugoslavia after world war two. Where did you get the idea that it has no hockey tradition?
I must add that partizan from belgrade killed croatian hockey to some extent, but sucking out their best players from towns that once had respectable hockey (other towns too)... sucked up players from varazdin, karlovac, sisak, zagreb... now, hockey did recover in part, so that Medvescak was the winner of the yugoslav league in the late 1980s and early 1990s.

Well that is the problem your not an expert. Not even from my country, and you put some wrong facts or conclusions.

1. yes there is interest for hockey in croatia as people from all over croatia come to see it. It creates interest and desire to play the game. and building rinks

2. as has been said it is not Medvescaks job to build hockey rings, that is the job of the Cro hockey federation to ride on the wave of success.

3. again as i said in a place with 3 open 2 closed and 1 roofed ice rinks, makeing 1 ice rink from an outdoor to indoor and the building of the one roofed ice rink , that will be closed relatively soon, During Medvescaks popularity is a big deal. 50% more places for real development of club hockey. There should be more (especially in Zagreb) but this not even only up to the cro federation of hockey but the town and regions to fiance it or draw up papers for EU (Federation even offered to do it for them) to finance a bigger part of it. another rink was supposed to be builty, money was allocated in Zagreb for it, but at last minute before building money was withdrawn for mysterious reason by the mayor. For now many rinks are being built but open and not regulation size in every city also to popularize it as a first step. But this whole thing is more than has happened in last... ohhh 40-50 years since they built DS and Velesajam closed hockey rinks in the 70's. Oh yeah forgot there is also a plan in Sisak for another rink to be built (closed ), but we will see what happens. Croatia is a weird place to build things (atleast by the town or gov). Things either start building or expensive prep work and surveys are done and building either stops or doesnt start, and they spend alot of money on nothing.

4. There was never real tradition of hockey. it was popular in 50-60 and than in the 80-s, but you are wrong about serbian hockey, they have an even ****tier league and players than we do. The only republic to always have, and i mean always, a proper league and dominance has been Slovenia and professional clubs. rest were amateur clubs. Again Medvescak Gortan (80's) was made up of 70% Slovenian players, 15 % Russian/NA players and 15% Croatian. The situation is not all that different from today. And before any development could be made war broke out and hockey went plummeting down bellow what it was in the 60's.

5. as for the funding of Medvescak they are a bright spot in our sports overall as for what we got from it its too long and most of it covered by point no1. and answers of Coramoor and my self, you just didnt bother to read from someone more informed and you repeat this point of yours automatically. so read the posts again.

6. Cro league is an amateur league consisting of 3 clubs and on and off (now it will be more consistently) 4th club. For it to be succesful and draw a bigger crowd it needs both marketing, financing, more clubs and better players and more ice (which was discussed above). Better players is a project that will yield results in 15 years with the mass of kids going into hockey schools (if you say results have to come immediately than you are just a fool). Financing is the not something Medvescak should do for every other club now is it? that is to be done by each club seperately as it should be. For now they are sitting on their *****. And mind It can be done, as Medvescak started from the same horrible circumstances. What Medvescak DOES do is help the development of younger talents of all clubs by financing the EBEL youth categorie, which is the sum of all talented hockey players in Zagreb, which have better conditions. The league is a much harder and bigger project which will take much longer to be created properly
For now as talents grow up it will go youth system, than those who are prospects will go to farm team of medvescak, that will be formed next year (probably Austria 2 at the beginning, and as the talent grows and finances are there to EBEL), from where they will go to KHL if good enough, rest will go to the cro league makeing it stronger, just by sheer number of players coming.

7. as said before , again you didnt read a word of a person from there who knows things first hand, Slovenian league didnt popularize anything. it was to be a senior version of the EBEL youth program. ONly when Medvescak entered the EBEL did it start to popularize the game, most not really knowing the rules at first. But only when Medvescak got to the KHL did the institutions get of their bottom n start doing something.
There is more to say on each of the points but this is to long as is :)

Last edited:

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
how many millions? first of all, none of that goes to Hockey Croatia aside from whatever tiny cut they would get through taxes, but it also costs a lot to run a hockey team so I have no idea where you think all this magical money is coming from, especially if they are charging 6.67 euros a ticket

And unlike all other sports n clubs in Croatia Medvecak is not subsidized from the town Sport funds either, except some free days in Arena Zagreb. Its purely a business type venture and quite unique in these lands.

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
small note when it comes to English bob. When you want to say an arena has a roof and walls, you should refer to it as an indoor arena and not a closed arena. A closed arena would be one in which you are not allowed to go because it has been shut down.

bobbeaver

Oct 7, 2013
small note when it comes to English bob. When you want to say an arena has a roof and walls, you should refer to it as an indoor arena and not a closed arena. A closed arena would be one in which you are not allowed to go because it has been shut down.

Ah sorry, noted:) but to lazy to correct my self in earlier posts lol But again would you than use a descriptive term to say the arena was "closed", something like they made an indoor arena from an outdoor? or some other phrase?

Coramoor

Aug 8, 2011
Ah sorry, noted:) but to lazy to correct my self in earlier posts lol But again would you than use a descriptive term to say the arena was "closed", something like they made an indoor arena from an outdoor? or some other phrase?

they made an indoor arena from an existing outdoor arena or something like that

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Yes. Look at the teams really, there's like what two czechoslovak teams, one team AHL/weird experement in Croatia, one team in Latvia, and the rest in the russian realm, some 24 of them.

Now lets take a thought... 24... some 140 million people... lets say a team per every 5-6 million people. We can say that one team is in each one million er so city place.
So we look at expansion. Finland, 5-6 million in the country, center is Finland, DONE, no more finnish expansion.
And so forth, they add a few more such teams at max... for example, suppose they add one in Oslo, Stockholm, Berlin, and Milan - drop the croat team, and there you have it, they're set and happy, while they still are overwhelmingly a russian league which serves interests of Russian hockey.

But let's just look at the Western conference for a second. 8 Russian teams...5 are in Moscow. Is that not an imbalance that needs to be corrected? Then you've got Severatal whom we all know is an eyesore on the league.

Years from now we could be talking about a Western ("European") conference and an Eastern "Russian" conference. We're talking about the future of the KHL here as it continues to expand. Expansion will theoretically turn the league into an EU vs. RU league, with the majority of Russian teams in smaller backwater locations and European teams in major cities.

If that's the case, the league will be known for the big cities, not the majority of teams in the middle of nowhere.

pakovits

Apr 24, 2013
what makes everyone think further expansion will happen? even a few of the current non-russian teams are unsustainable and probably won't be in the league in 3 years time.

alce*

what makes everyone think further expansion will happen? even a few of the current non-russian teams are unsustainable and probably won't be in the league in 3 years time.

Completely agree. From all non Russian teams only Donbass and Barys now don't have some Russian money support. Even DR has some Russian sponsors. Before talking about future expansion we should see how current foreign teams will be doing without such support. Because I hope nobody here is expecting that KHL will shut down some Russian teams to support meaningless and unprofitable expansion in Europe. So before dreaming about some pan-European league we should see if this is possible at all. Is there money and market for such league or not.

loppa*

But let's just look at the Western conference for a second. 8 Russian teams...5 are in Moscow. Is that not an imbalance that needs to be corrected? Then you've got Severatal whom we all know is an eyesore on the league.

Years from now we could be talking about a Western ("European") conference and an Eastern "Russian" conference. We're talking about the future of the KHL here as it continues to expand. Expansion will theoretically turn the league into an EU vs. RU league, with the majority of Russian teams in smaller backwater locations and European teams in major cities.

If that's the case, the league will be known for the big cities, not the majority of teams in the middle of nowhere.

Oh I totally agree with you. Heck if I were in charge I'd gut atlant, like eliminate them and put Kiev into the KHL.
I am not very familiar with Severstal, but I think I read that some people said that they are a very hockey-popular region, so just some infrastructure upgrades might be enough.

Well yeah, your point there is exactly why I don't want to see too much western expansion, why the league should remain a mainly Russian/slavic league.

------------------------------------------
edit/add:
@ Bob,

Don't make generalizations. I was born in Croatia, and I am technically what one would call a "purger" as I was born in a particular place.

To address some of your points...

- I think I know my rink situation with Croatia. Here, a very respected croatian hockey enthusiast posted some stuff here... http://www.internationalhockey.net/forums/showthread.php?10310-Ice-rinks-in-Croatia ...now that particular guy is well known in the croatian hockey community, he posts on the main croatian forum, has his own site, writes some articles somewhere, he had a pretty good reputation if I am not mistaken. I think he has labeled all the rinks there, no? Which is the new rink that you are referring? You must mean the "arena zagreb", LOL, and sorry man that does not count.

- This guy from the previous link disagrees with me on some stuff. He is not my friend, I am not his friend. However, one of the rare points when he was very happy with me was when I said what I told you. That Croatian was indeed the center of hockey in yugoslavia, and that partizan sucked out the talent from croatia. Most people who know history would not dispute that, yet you do. Seriously, do I need to list the players that were playing for Paritzan in the 1950s? That was the decade of Partizan, and like about 90% of their team was comprised of croatian players.

- Some croat hockey fans see only Medvescak as being the only thing that matters and consider that everything else is worthless and should be disregarded. I remember a guy who went out of his way to insult that guy from the previous link. Why did he insult him on a continual basis? Well, a, because admins on that stupid forum tolerate trolls and abusive freaks, and two, because that prsljen was not of the opinion that medvescak is everything that matters in croatian hockey. I think that this is a similar situation, you are not happy that I am not in full agreement that Medvescak is the only thing that matters, that is the only thing that is good, and you are not happy of any criticism of them. Keep in mind, I am not angry at them, but to suggest that they have been good for croatian hockey is a joke, they have not helped croatian hockey.

- You don't even know much about the croatian league itself. It is not true that it usually has three teams in it. If someone can double check, but the only season of the league when they had three teams was 07-08, just ONE season.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
I hope nobody here is expecting that KHL will shut down some Russian teams to support meaningless and unprofitable expansion in Europe.

More like shut down meaningless and unprofitable teams in eastern Russia to help meaningful and unprofitable expansion in Europe.

What makes you think that teams in major cities are meaningless? That's the crux of the issue here, a team in Berlin is much more important to the league's prestige than another team in Siberia.

Sokil

Ukraine Specialitsky
Apr 29, 2010
Toronto
supermensa.org
Oh I totally agree with you. Heck if I were in charge I'd gut atlant, like eliminate them and put Kiev into the KHL.
I am not very familiar with Severstal, but I think I read that some people said that they are a very hockey-popular region, so just some infrastructure upgrades might be enough.

Kiev has no operational arena so that would be the first stumbling block, the second would be a stable ownership group. The vast majority of players in the country come from Kiev (second is Kharkiv); if a team can work in Donetsk then it can for sure pick up in Kiev - but those first two points would have to be met before even thinking about putting a franchise there. If the PHL has been any indication, there are no serious hockey owners in the country at the moment.

As far as Severstal goes, I don't know how much of it has to do with infrastructure, but they're pulling in 68% attendance at the moment. I don't know if that's indicative of Cherepovets being a hockey town...

loppa*

Kiev has no operational arena so that would be the first stumbling block, the second would be a stable ownership group. The vast majority of players in the country come from Kiev (second is Kharkiv); if a team can work in Donetsk then it can for sure pick up in Kiev - but those first two points would have to be met before even thinking about putting a franchise there. If the PHL has been any indication, there are no serious hockey owners in the country at the moment.

As far as Severstal goes, I don't know how much of it has to do with infrastructure, but they're pulling in 68% attendance at the moment. I don't know if that's indicative of Cherepovets being a hockey town...

Well I just mentioned Kiev just because I am of course in agreement with what you mentioned about there being too many teams in Moscow. But still, thanks for this insight. I hope that we will see Sokil joining the league eventually. )

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad