The Future of Garret Sparks

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Bigger picture, the Leafs should be looking for a backup that could be a legit replacement should Freddie fail. I don’t think Sparks or Pickard are that guy, more placeholders and depth. If Andersen plays poorly next year, is there really any heir apparent in this organization? Don’t see it, and while a fan of Freddie, I’d be looking for a serious alternative that could push for the net.

Personally I think it’s a bit early to say either way with it and comes to the Marlies guys. But I do agree the leafs should potentially be thinking about an Andersen replacement down the line.

Reactions: DarkKnight

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Backup and unproven/obscure goalies are the most worthless assets on the trade market. Theres a reason they dont often get traded

My off the wall idea (if we don’t want to poach Stastny) is to trade Mac to the jets for mason and then either waive him or retain on him to get assets back.

Tons of space for a year. Might as well use it

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Gotta believe Sparks starts as back up in October. And remember when his starts he's the goalie for your team so he better be NHL good.
Leafs don't trade Mcillerny or even Pickard. They are needed in the Leafs organization if Sparks fails or injuries. If waived and claimed the claiming team has to keep the player on the NHL roster, or else they are offered back to the Leafs, so I wouldn't worry about a waiver claim.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Bigger picture, the Leafs should be looking for a backup that could be a legit replacement should Freddie fail. I don’t think Sparks or Pickard are that guy, more placeholders and depth. If Andersen plays poorly next year, is there really any heir apparent in this organization? Don’t see it, and while a fan of Freddie, I’d be looking for a serious alternative that could push for the net.
Sparks and Pickard both deserve a shot if andersen were to go down.
Their a couple of the best goalies not in the NHL.

If Dubas can find a way to keep Sparks and one of mcelhinney/Pickard, than I'll be happy.

Sidenote: when is woll elegible to move up to the AHL? When would be a good time to promote him?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Sparks and Pickard both deserve a shot if andersen were to go down.
Their a couple of the best goalies not in the NHL.

If Dubas can find a way to keep Sparks and one of mcelhinney/Pickard, than I'll be happy.

Sidenote: when is woll elegible to move up to the AHL? When would be a good time to promote him?

Woll is technically eligible as soon as he signs his ELC.

He's got 2 more seasons of NCAA hockey eligibility, so anytime in the next 2 years.

If I was a betting man, I think he'll sign his ELC next off-season. The Marlies will have him, Ian Scott and probably Kasimir Kaskisuo as their AHL/ECHL goaltender depth.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
To me he has to beat Mac and Pickard for it in camp, and both have NHL experience.

Sparks is almost 25 years old and still in the AHL, generally when you haven't made the NHL by 25 you don't make it

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
He’s outplayed Pickard already on the Marlies season.

Sparks is also a better player than McBackup was at this age too.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around people arguing we should lose a 24 year old AHL goaltending all star through waivers so we can keep a 35 year old career backup because of one fluke season

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm still trying to wrap my head around people arguing we should lose a 24 year old AHL goaltending all star through waivers so we can keep a 35 year old career backup because of one fluke season

And not just that, one whose had the season that Sparks has had. He’s absolutely dominated the AHL, not just played well

Reactions: SprDaVE and Kiwi

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
And not just that, one whose had the season that Sparks has had. He’s absolutely dominated the AHL, not just played well

Putting him through waivers would be next level awful asset management

Give the kid an opportunity and cash in (if possible) on McBackup's miracle of a season

It doesn't seem that complicated to me

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
To me he has to beat Mac and Pickard for it in camp, and both have NHL experience.

Sparks is almost 25 years old and still in the AHL, generally when you haven't made the NHL by 25 you don't make it

My instincts are that the 25 year old cutoff you are using doesn't apply to goaltenders, but I'd be interested to know what the historical data actually shows

Also Sparks has played in the NHL already, so there is that. The fact that this management group has held onto him (even though he is from the pre-shananhan era) means they see realistic potential in him imo

Keon1963

Sep 27, 2017
I believe Sparks will still improve as he matures. I think goalies peak around 30 and decline rapidly at 35+. Sparks should still show a lot of progression. McBack-up just had his career year.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

I don't care what he's doing in the AHL because he's almost 25 years old and STILL in the AHL, by 25 years old you should be in the NHL.

You want to talk to me about Grunstrom or Liljegren who are 19 and 20 respectively that's different because they weren't drafted 7 years ago, they might need to spend next year in the AHL but they way they are tracking they could be full time guys by 19-20, Some here think Grunstrom could be full time next year, I think he gets a year in the AHL first.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
My instincts are that the 25 year old cutoff you are using doesn't apply to goaltenders, but I'd be interested to know what the historical data actually shows

Also Sparks has played in the NHL already, so there is that. The fact that this management group has held onto him (even though he is from the pre-shananhan era) means they see realistic potential in him imo

Yes he did, and he was awful, now I know that team was bad but Sparks didn't even put up a 900 save%

A 900 Save% is a low bar and he didn't even hit that.

Guys like Vesa Toskala hit that mark and he didn't have a good team either in 07-08

Gustavson did it too for the 09-10 Leafs

Sparks Couldn't even hit a 900 Save%

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't care what he's doing in the AHL because he's almost 25 years old and STILL in the AHL, by 25 years old you should be in the NHL.

You want to talk to me about Grunstrom or Liljegren who are 19 and 20 respectively that's different because they weren't drafted 7 years ago, they might need to spend next year in the AHL but they way they are tracking they could be full time guys by 19-20, Some here think Grunstrom could be full time next year, I think he gets a year in the AHL first.

I don’t think you are familiar with the development curve of goalies. Being the best goalie in the AHL at 24 is a great feat. Many nhl star goalies come to the nhl at 25 plus Murray price and rask are the exception. Not the rule

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
Yes he did, and he was awful, now I know that team was bad but Sparks didn't even put up a 900 save%

Guys like Vesa Toskala hit that mark and he didn't have a good team either in 07-08

The guy was only 22 at the time, it was his first NHL stint and the team was in full out tank mode. To expect him to put up good numbers in that situation I think is unreasonable. Plus it was a relatively small sample size especially compared to the other guys you listed

Not saying this guy is going to be an NHL star. Just think it's too early to make definitive conclusions like you posted. The guy has trended up since being in the AHL which is what you want to see and is positive progress. Seems like a good kid and I hope he keeps getting better and better.

MR4

Oct 20, 2014
I don't know why people think Sparks can't be a starter. Hell, in his rookie season, his overall stats are just because e lost all confidence - the first 8 games he played he had like a .920 save %, but then the last 8 he had a .867%. I'm confident in the kid at least becoming a good backup
Gotta believe Sparks starts as back up in October. And remember when his starts he's the goalie for your team so he better be NHL good.
Leafs don't trade Mcillerny or even Pickard. They are needed in the Leafs organization if Sparks fails or injuries. If waived and claimed the claiming team has to keep the player on the NHL roster, or else they are offered back to the Leafs, so I wouldn't worry about a waiver claim.
Would be dumb not to sell high on McBackup this offseason. But yeah I'd like to let Sparks and Pickard battle it out for the backup position, and then trade the loser and if no one bites only then waive him

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

But context is important here: he was a still developing prospect who clearly wasn’t ready for a callup - anyone in a similar situation would have flopped.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
But context is important here: he was a still developing prospect who clearly wasn’t ready for a callup - anyone in a similar situation would have flopped.
Exactly. 17 games with one of the worst Leaf rosters in recent memory. Doesn't seem like a very good measuring stick.
Sparks has paid his dues in the AHL. I think he's worth bringing up over McElhinney.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Exactly. 17 games with one of the worst Leaf rosters in recent memory. Doesn't seem like a very good measuring stick.
Sparks has paid his dues in the AHL. I think he's worth bringing up over McElhinney.

At least you think Sparks has the opportunity to play in the NHL. Leafs have to look for the future. And with goalies, you really don't how well they are going to play in the NHL till they get to the NHL.
Might be some growing pains compared to the Mcillerney's outstanding season, but hey it's part of the growth to the Leafs.

luvdahattymatty

Apr 8, 2018
McBackup will stay he did an excellent job this past season and is signed for next season. Sparks is much better than Pickard who Marlies tried to start but had to pull in playoffs for lack of performance. Sparks will stay as Marlies starter and insurance for the Leafs. If someone gives Leafs something for Pickard they will trade him otherwise he stays as a backup with Marlies.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I don’t think you are familiar with the development curve of goalies. Being the best goalie in the AHL at 24 is a great feat. Many nhl star goalies come to the nhl at 25 plus Murray price and rask are the exception. Not the rule

Are they? No the exception, you already gave 3 examplein Murray Price and Rask, how about we add Andersen BobVrosky Gibson Holtby and Andrei Vasilevskiy on to that list, now your "exception" is much closer to the rule

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad