The Future of Garret Sparks

B Champman

Jun 7, 2014
Posting this because I want to see opinions on what our options are with Sparks.

Q&A with Toronto Marlies goalie Garret Sparks: ‘I expect to be in the NHL’ - Sportsnet.ca

After watching some marlies this season and most of playoffs, He has easily become one of my favourite prospects, although as he states above, maybe hes not so much a prospect as an NHL ready goaltender. His stats have been insane this past season in the AHL obviously, but watching him also reinforces just how solid he is. I didnt realize how far he'd come and to me stands out as one of our most NHL ready players next to guys like Dermott and Johnsson.

That being said, the course of being employed as one of 60 NHL goaltenders is a whole other world compared to what most prospects go through, and now that we seem to be settling in with a bonified #1 in Anderson, what's the course of action with him?

I assume the most simple answer is give him the backup role and give him ~20 starts next season, and see how he performs. But is he developed enough to play that little? does he have trade value? How does Mcelhinny and Calvin Pickard factor into the top 4 between the leafs and Marlies?

I love Curtis Mc and think he's played fantastic, but Sparks is 24 to Curts 35 and may very likely be the better tendie, despite far less overall experience. On the flipside, Curt Mc, while handling a low % of starts, played fantastic throughout the year last season. Do we stick with what's working or look to the future?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Definitely a NHL back up level right now. Whether it's with the Leafs or not is to be seen.

Dubas will have to field interest in McBackup, Sparks and/or Pickard. Whoever has the more interest, if any, he should take it and then give the other 2 a chance to earn a spot in training camp.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I'd be fine with Pickard, he's a legit NHL back up.

McBackUp would go no matter what - great year in the NHL, should return a 5th-7th but he's a little older
Sparks - Okay with him as our back up too but wonder if he'd have some good value as a piece in a larger trade?

Either way, okay with Sparks or Pickard.

Reactions: AppsSyl and Kiwi

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Sparks looks good this year and Pickard has NHL experience.

Is there a chance the Leafs could lose either or both on waivers?

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Sparks looks good this year and Pickard has NHL experience.

Is there a chance the Leafs could lose either or both on waivers?

Losing one I could see. Both seems like a lot, unless goalie becomes enough of a team need, and they're the best two options available considering all angles.

They've both cleared previously, with only Pickard having 1 NHL game since. Not sure what that's all worth in the grand scheme of things.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
McElhinney probably gets waived and Sparks makes the team.
He scored a .934 save percentage in 18 regular games and a .936 in 5 world championship games at an 800K cap hit. He might score us a mid round pick. They should sell high on him, bring up Sparks and then see what the market is for Pickard. If he'll be claimed it makes sense to bring something in for him. If he won't let him build up value on another calder run for the Marlies.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
He scored a .934 save percentage in 18 regular games and a .936 in 5 world championship games at an 800K cap hit. He might score us a mid round pick. They should sell high on him, bring up Sparks and then see what the market is for Pickard. If he'll be claimed it makes sense to bring something in for him. If he won't let him build up value on another calder run for the Marlies.

Average starting goalies barely warrant a mid round pick. Besides, other GMs know we have to waive two of Pickard, Mc, and Sparks, so why trade for one and throw the pick away?

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Average starting goalies barely warrant a mid round pick. Besides, other GMs know we have to waive two of Pickard, Mc, and Sparks, so why trade for one and throw the pick away?

That's not entirely true. Plenty of backup goaltenders have been traded for mid round picks instead of letting the goaltender go through waivers. Montoya is an example last season (I know, Chiarelli is dumb). . Condon was also traded for a mid round pick to the Senators a couple seasons ago. There are other examples that escape me right now.

Teams that are lower in the priority of waivers might want to secure a backup goaltender instead of taking their chance on waivers. It's not going to be great value though, I agree with you there.

We could see McBackup or Pickard packaged in a trade though with more pieces involved, not necessary one of them straight up for a pick.

Brown Dog

Jun 23, 2007
I don't think McElhinney has much trade value. Doubt Sparks does either. We know Pickard doesn't.

I suspect they'll shop the lot of them and when the returns are underwhelming, they'll let em battle it out in camp and end up losing one of them (provably Mc) to waivers.

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
We aren't getting much for an aging backup we got off waivers, despite last year. It's a question of who you want as backup, who you can afford to lose, there is no real return to be had.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
We aren't getting much for an aging backup we got off waivers, despite last year. It's a question of who you want as backup, who you can afford to lose, there is no real return to be had.

I'd go with the younger guy in Sparks and try to get anything i could scrounge up for McBackup like a 6th or a 7th even

BigBlu

Oct 15, 2013
I'd go with the younger guy in Sparks and try to get anything i could scrounge up for McBackup like a 6th or a 7th even

yep. draft day move for a 2020 6th or 7th opening up the spot for Garret.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
yep. draft day move for a 2020 6th or 7th opening up the spot for Garret.

Yep, an asset is an asset and if McBackup brings any sort of a pick in I'd call that a win after we got a great season and a half out of him after we got him on waivers

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
We did just trade a 6th for Pickard after he cleared waivers to be our #4 goalie. Someone will give us something for McElhinney. Values fluctuate, he was even picked for team Canada at the worlds. If you told me that McElhinney would be a starter at the worlds, Sparks would be goalie of the year in the AHL and Pickard would be our #4 I would have told you that you were nuts.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Sparks is the backup, Mcbackup gets traded for a 6th, and pray to god Pickard is able to slips through waivers

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
It's interesting to see the Capitals with the 2nd lowest SA/GP in the playoffs so far. So that's how you win...

Not sure I've ever seen any goalie win facing a huge amount of shots unless they had Wayne Gretzky and a nose full of coke.
The goal-tending position is the most stressful position on the ice. Think showing cracks is the number one reason you see
so many Finns in net. The ice-cold demeanor makes it look like nothing is ever getting to them. There were times I thought
Andersen looked like he was getting upset. Think the Leafs were in the top 3 for shots against. And I'd hate to see the
quality comparison of them. For the sakes of Sparks, I almost wish he could come in with this team a little tighter.
Leaf goalies right now don't have a level playing ground compared to a lot of the NHL teams out there. How many goalies
came into the Leafs with some decent stats? But they were left exposed. Opposing teams not only were able to discover
their cracks, but pick at them freely. The dam bursting open was way too often. Perhaps they can continue to use McBackup
while giving Sparks a cup of coffee or two first. I just don't want to see him thrown to the wolves like many others before
him. Having an off day with 20 shots against or 30 can make a big difference to the mental capacity of any netminder.

Pyromaniac

May 29, 2012
McElhinney has been a solid backup since he arrived here. It will be tough to lose him, let's not forget Enroth was costing us games till Mac stabilized that position. We don't make the playoffs without him.

MagicalRazor

Oct 25, 2016
Honestly i watched him play live his first NHL game where he got the shout out vs the oilers what was that 3 years? all ready back , WITH OUT C. MCD tho. HE PLAYS SO UGLY man i also watched him play multiple times with the marlies His style is gross but it gets the job done he kind of play like Our back up right now Curtis Mcelhinney gets the job done . Honestly i can't ever see him being a start but prove me wrong kid . I can see him being a decent back up so i think He plays for the leafs this up coming year in all honesty he deserves it

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
Bigger picture, the Leafs should be looking for a backup that could be a legit replacement should Freddie fail. I don’t think Sparks or Pickard are that guy, more placeholders and depth. If Andersen plays poorly next year, is there really any heir apparent in this organization? Don’t see it, and while a fan of Freddie, I’d be looking for a serious alternative that could push for the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad