The Free Agency/Trades Thread (Proposals, Speculation, Rumors) V

Status
Not open for further replies.

David Singleton

Jun 23, 2005
Dickson, TN
oh I think we will make some sort of vet deal too, because I truly believe poile feels we are much closer to challenging than I think we are

:nod:

Granted, he could be right and/or the team gets hot and just goes on a roll. It's happened before (elsewhere). This team is capable of that, but it would require a bit of luck much different than has been the norm this season for them.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
every one always says maybe we can re sign that UFA after the season. but statistically I bet not 1 in 20 actually re sign with the team they are traded to at the deadline, and that 1 is usually a lower level talent type guy. the true skill guys almost never do.

Agreed, if you acquire a pending UFA, he's is almost certainly a rental only situation.

The cost for a pending UFA of any significance will be a 1st+. We've traded our 1st rounder twice in the last 4 years, so we really need this one to stock the farm.

Unless this team somehow rips off 9 or 10 more wins between now and Feb 29, then it's best to stay put.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I'm also afraid Poile is going to blow it on a rental, and considering how well they have worked out for us we are far better using that first to get the depth in a better spot.

I have no issue trading Fiala for Drouin, if anything he has the skill of Fiala and is ready now as opposed to a year or two down the road.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
The problem about trading for Drouin is that we do that we block Vesey out of Nashville. Drouin will take his place as the #1LW, now I'm not saying that's a bad thing but Droui would take Vesey's spot. We could have Fiala and Vesey or just Drouin. Of course, if Drouin is still available offseason and Vesey doesn't sign with us, then we could do that for sure.

NoNecksCurse

Oct 19, 2011
not trading for drouin at the thought of possibly not signing vesey is not smart.

oh but I'm definitely on the side of vesey isn't coming here.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
It depends on the situation we are in come the time to sign. If we are in a hot streak and able to make a run and you have a chance to play with RyJo and Neal, I think he's gonna sign here. If we barely make the playoffs, well that might just be enough. If we are in a cold streak and missing the playoffs then yeah, he isn't coming here.

Isn't Drouin RFA next summer? Do we have to the space to sign a bridge deal for him?

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
Let's see what the addition of Willy does for our third line and go from there.

Jarnkrok is the one I am worried about replacing and if we have any hope of getting passed the first round, we are going to need to upgrade that first line position. Something Vesey is not ready for.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
every one always says maybe we can re sign that UFA after the season. but statistically I bet not 1 in 20 actually re sign with the team they are traded to at the deadline, and that 1 is usually a lower level talent type guy. the true skill guys almost never do.

We re-signed both Hal Gill and Paul Gaustad, and I would consider both to be cautionary tales.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
The problem about trading for Drouin is that we do that we block Vesey out of Nashville. Drouin will take his place as the #1LW, now I'm not saying that's a bad thing but Droui would take Vesey's spot. We could have Fiala and Vesey or just Drouin. Of course, if Drouin is still available offseason and Vesey doesn't sign with us, then we could do that for sure.

I don't think Vesey is signing with us.

But even one the extreme long shot chance he does - Drouin is still a far superior prospect.

Drouin's shown he can produce at the NHL level, even though it's a small sample under non-ideal conditions.

Vesey's got some hype, but how many of these college free agents have come in and torn up the NHL? You're talking most likely another Kevin Hayes or Craig Smith most likely. I read one comparison that he's Chris Drury at best. That's fine and all.

I'm still taking Drouin 10 times out of 10.

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
We re-signed both Hal Gill and Paul Gaustad, and I would consider both to be cautionary tales.

Both likely had limited markets, and I believe we overpaid for Gaustad relative to the market.

A guy like Eriksson or Staal will have no shortage of suitors come July.

You're right about the cautionary tales. I think both cases come with a bit of buyer's remorse.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Andrew Ladd would be a great add, and may help the PK. Two-way big LWer for that top line, who is basically will do what Calle does now but WAY more effective

I really don't think the whole Central thing will matter either since the Jets should just want to get something for him before he hits the market. I'd be okay with giving our first for a stately cup winner like Ladd. He could re-sign but I don't know how that'll work with Forsberg's next contract, and RyJo in couple years

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
I don't think Vesey is signing with us.

But even one the extreme long shot chance he does - Drouin is still a far superior prospect.

Drouin's shown he can produce at the NHL level, even though it's a small sample under non-ideal conditions.

Vesey's got some hype, but how many of these college free agents have come in and torn up the NHL? You're talking most likely another Kevin Hayes or Craig Smith most likely. I read one comparison that he's Chris Drury at best. That's fine and all.

I'm still taking Drouin 10 times out of 10.

Have you seen Vesey's highlights from this year? Holy crap he looks so much better than a couple years ago. I think he's a really effective middle 6 forward with top line potential in the right situation. Here's to hoping.... :help:

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
Have you seen Vesey's highlights from this year? Holy crap he looks so much better than a couple years ago. I think he's a really effective middle 6 forward with top line potential in the right situation. Here's to hoping.... :help:

He's plenty good, I just don't think he's the kind of player that you can plug right in on the #1 line wing and he'll produce like a 1st liner. I also question his ceiling at the NHL level. He's going to be a good player, I just don't know if he's going to be an elite player.

And WRT Drouin vs Vesey, I think you probably could slot Drouin right into the top 6 and get offensive production right away. So I wouldn't let Vesey stop me from going after Drouin, and that's if you even think Vesey is going to sign here, which I have my doubts.

Scoresberg

In Trotz We Trust?
May 28, 2015
Earth
Fiala + '17 2nd
Fiala + 3rd
Fiala + Aberg

Those are the packages I would try Drouin. Wouldn't go any further than that. If it isn't enough then forget it, Fiala is awesome too. He'll be ready for next year.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
I actually have no idea what to expect from Poile at the deadline. I could see it going both ways.

One thing I do know, things are going to change. They have to at this point. The current roster isn't going to get us passed the first round (and maybe not even the playoffs) nor is is it going to allow us to get a top 10 pick. It's literally the worst place to be in professional sports.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
I actually have no idea what to expect from Poile at the deadline. I could see it going both ways.

One thing I do know, things are going to change. They have to at this point. The current roster isn't going to get us passed the first round (and maybe not even the playoffs) nor is is it going to allow us to get a top 10 pick. It's literally the worst place to be in professional sports.

100% correct

The 1st round pick is senseless at 10 or below so it has to be in play. It makes no sense to draft projects that are going to take a few year to develop at this point. Poile has to improve this roster. The mere fact they are still in position to fight for a playoff spot is suprising. Last year the last wildcard spot took 97 points. This team is pacing at 88 points. Either the West has taken a downturn from last year or some teams are going to get hot down the stretch. I find it hard to believe that less than 95 points will get a team in. And I do not see the Preds being able to hit 95 points.

Roman Yoshi

Aug 16, 2009
Franklin, TN
100% correct

The 1st round pick is senseless at 10 or below so it has to be in play. It makes no sense to draft projects that are going to take a few year to develop at this point. Poile has to improve this roster. The mere fact they are still in position to fight for a playoff spot is suprising. Last year the last wildcard spot took 97 points. This team is pacing at 88 points. Either the West has taken a downturn from last year or some teams are going to get hot down the stretch. I find it hard to believe that less than 95 points will get a team in. And I do not see the Preds being able to hit 95 points.

I don't think the West is down turning. In fact, I would argue the opposite. The West has gotten stronger from top to bottom, which is why points are at a premium.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
100% correct

It is also senseless to waste it on a UFA such as Staal or Ericksson who will not re-sign here. That 1st is more valuable to this team that they are, even if it is a long term "project" as you call it.

PredsV82

Trade Saros
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
any deadline deal for an older veteran or a UFA will be a bad decision for the franchise.

you wouldnt want a 3rd pair defenseman as injury insurance or upgrade? If all it cost was say a 3rd round pick?

thats the kind of move I'd look for, a Brad bombradir/Shane Hnidy type move

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
It is also senseless to waste it on a UFA such as Staal or Ericksson who will not re-sign here. That 1st is more valuable to this team that they are, even if it is a long term "project" as you call it.

It was not my intention at all to imply trading the 1st for a rental. If there is a situation where you can package that 1st with a player and a prospect to gain a 2nd line piece that's what he should do. NONE of the current prospects show any indication of being ready to step in to top 6 type roles next season and do the things needed to move this team forward. Of course Poile can just punt and draft more prospects bring those guys up ready or not and continue to struggle. Not something I think would be a good idea but it is an option.

My point here is that he has to fix the middle 6 whatever it takes now. This has to be fixed then focus on the prospects. The three guys we have playing the 3rd line were supposed to be our 2nd line and no matter what combination Lavi has tried they have failed. SO its time to fix it.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
IMHO, Poile isn't gonna' be making any big trades, because it doesn't make sense to. If we were in the Pacific we would have 2nd place and home ice against a flawed 3rd place team as a possibility; in the Central it freaking doesn't matter, unless you can find the pieces - plural - to get past whichever of the division winners you draw.

Poile needs to be looking at what changes he needs for next year but keeping the team in the PO hunt for this year. So - move Goose, or Nystrom, or some of our redundant 3rd liners - sure. Move a good prospect like Fiala - not unless you're getting a high-end young kid back. Move a Smith or Wilson to get a little more contract flexibility - that would absolutely help for next year in making some resources available to sign a wing opposite Flip, but does a dump where we lose a reliable 2/3 winger without a roster-caliber player returned make sense on the CHANCE that GMDP can sign an upgrade for not too much more? I'm not so sure, cause if we go by his last 4 years of off-season signings, what makes anyone think we're not just gonna' be skating this roster minus Goose and whoever got traded plus Fiala and Sissons, and some Nystrom-esque character guy?

RaiderDoug

Feb 5, 2007
Knoxville
you wouldnt want a 3rd pair defenseman as injury insurance or upgrade? If all it cost was say a 3rd round pick?

thats the kind of move I'd look for, a Brad bombradir/Shane Hnidy type move

Would that really help though?

Is replacing Jackman or Bitetto really going to fix the problem? I don't think it's any one defenseman that needs to be replaced. We saw Weber just pass it to a Cap last night. The whole defense isn't tight. That's kind of Laviolette's system.

And that would be ok if the goaltender wasn't letting in every single scoring chance. You can upgrade the defense all we want, but we'll need absolute perfection from the defense in order to cover the goaltenders poor play.

You know who Rinne looks like this year?

Remember Ray Emery when we played the Ducks - and he overcommitted to everything and couldn't save anything side to side? That looks like what we have.

drwpreds

Mar 19, 2012
Birmingham
I don't think the West is down turning. In fact, I would argue the opposite. The West has gotten stronger from top to bottom, which is why points are at a premium.

I think it is better at the bottom, but at least right now, there has been a slight downturn with the upper half. Other than Chicago, Dallas, and LA, most of the other so called "elite" teams are under performing. I don't think it is going to take 96+ points to get in this year.

I don't feel great about us making it, but again, we are competing against teams like Colorado, Minnesota, Vancouver, Arizona, Winnipeg, etc, etc. for a spot. We aren't great by any means but none of those teams is any better than we are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad