OT: The Football Thread

The Real JT

Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss. :(
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
While you can’t predict an injury like Marcus Maye’s this looks like a lost opportunity for the Jets to have traded him and accumulated assets.

I can’t see them placing the franchise tag on him again next season.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
While you can’t predict an injury like Marcus Maye’s this looks like a lost opportunity for the Jets to have traded him and accumulated assets.

I can’t see them placing the franchise tag on him again next season.

TDL was this past Monday, they should've done it then. Although he claims he wants to continue his career as a Jet.

Maybe the DUI will hurt his side in negotiations. Whatever, you can let him go and draft Kyle Hamilton - Tyler Linderbaum with NYJ and SEA 1st round picks.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Mike White was looking pretty Mike White-ish before he went down. I couldn’t care less about wins, they’d actually be better off losing. This season is about Zack and Mike White.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
S.O.J.

I know they’ve had injuries on the defensive side but didn’t they hire a defensive genius as head coach?

Here’s a list of first round defensive busts or “near” busts:
Quinnen Williams (ok not a bust but meh)
Dewayne Robertson
Quinton Coples
Dee Milliner
Calvin Pryor
Vernon Gholston

Disappointing non-busts
Mohammed Wilkerson
Sheldon Richardson

Cue the 2022 draft thread.

Last edited:

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
Elijah Moore has been a preferred target of White and Flacco. Not much action with Wilson throwing the ball. Is this a result of rising on the roster and play calling? Asking because I do not follow the Jets and find myself in a critical fantasy football bind. Injuries, byes and nothing but garbage on the waiver wire. Moore is rolling on a hot 3 weeks and trying to determine if this ends with Wilson coming back.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Elijah Moore has been a preferred target of White and Flacco. Not much action with Wilson throwing the ball. Is this a result of rising on the roster and play calling? Asking because I do not follow the Jets and find myself in a critical fantasy football bind. Injuries, byes and nothing but garbage on the waiver wire. Moore is rolling on a hot 3 weeks and trying to determine if this ends with Wilson coming back.

Moore was injured for much of the time Wilson was starting. But I think they still look to him as their best offensive weapon, especially with Michael Carter out for the rest of the year

Reactions: Bondurant

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
No Becton. No Carter. No Davis. No Moore.

Even with built in excuses Zach Wilson looks like shit. Moore :naughty: lousy Jets’ football. Why should I be surprised?

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Jets had a chance to be in the mix for next year’s #1 overall pick.

I would’ve been ok with them winning if Zach Wilson played lights out but to win on a last play F***up by the Jags is just so Jetlike.

I’d rather they’d have lost.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina

I would’ve been ok with them winning if Zach Wilson played lights out but to win on a last play F***up by the Jags is just so Jetlike.

Jets need to learn how to win sooner or later. They have two top ten picks. Remember when we all whined about the Jets missing out on Winston/Mariota? I wanted Hutch or Kayvon as well but it won't be happening. Go grab OL and continue building the line. Not convinced they go after Stingley in this Saleh defense even though many have him mocked to the Jets.

Reactions: saintunspecified

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Jets need to learn how to win sooner or later. They have two top ten picks. Remember when we all whined about the Jets missing out on Winston/Mariota? I wanted Hutch or Kayvon as well but it won't be happening. Go grab OL and continue building the line. Not convinced they go after Stingley in this Saleh defense even though many have him mocked to the Jets.
While I reluctantly agree with you that a winning culture is important (are you listening Brent Thompson?), I’m not sure that this particular win means anything other than a worse draft position.

I can’t help but think of the Knicks drafting RJ Barrett at #3 when they could’ve had Ja Morant at #2.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
While I reluctantly agree with you that a winning culture is important (are you listening Brent Thompson?), I’m not sure that this particular win means anything other than a worse draft position.

I can’t help but think of the Knicks drafting RJ Barrett at #3 when they could’ve had Ja Morant at #2.

True, but to be fair that was the lottery. And also what eventually got the Knicks back to the playoffs? It was a strong offseason by management.

I pray that Woody Johnson does not get rid of Saleh or Douglas too early.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017

Despite their record, I think this year was a positive for the Jets. Tons of injuries on the DL, and their secondary is totally inexperienced. But they've got some players who are looking like they can become premium players on the OL. They've got a deep threat at WR, and a 4-down RB. Get a 4-down TE, and the offense can be very good *if* Wilson develops. With 2 high 1st's and 2 2nds, they are in a very good position. It doesn't matter that much if that pick is 2nd or 4th overall imo.

The Real JT

Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Despite their record, I think this year was a positive for the Jets. Tons of injuries on the DL, and their secondary is totally inexperienced. But they've got some players who are looking like they can become premium players on the OL. They've got a deep threat at WR, and a 4-down RB. Get a 4-down TE, and the offense can be very good *if* Wilson develops. With 2 high 1st's and 2 2nds, they are in a very good position. It doesn't matter that much if that pick is 2nd or 4th overall imo.

Pick 2 rather than 4 gives you leverage against a desperate team looking to move up in the draft. Not a huge deal, but it matters.

Not sure who you’re counting on as a deep threat at WR. Moore?? He’s a keeper. Looks like a good player but more of a slot receiver.

I’m excited about Carter at RB but not sure he can hold up for a full season with his size. Also a solid addition.

As for TE, that is the biggest black hole in the Jets’ long history of ineptitude.

Reactions: Old Man Perriwinkle

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Pick 2 rather than 4 gives you leverage against a desperate team looking to move up in the draft. Not a huge deal, but it matters.

Not sure who you’re counting on as a deep threat at WR. Moore?? He’s a keeper. Looks like a good player but more of a slot receiver.

I’m excited about Carter at RB but not sure he can hold up for a full season with his size. Also a solid addition.

As for TE, that is the biggest black hole in the Jets’ long history of ineptitude.

Wait a year on TE and draft Michael Mayer out of ND. Dude is a beast, true athletic-blocking tight end like Kittle.

I'd really like to draft the Center, Tyler Linderbaum out of Iowa. Stabilize the offensive line like Mangold.

Reactions: The Real JT

Lights911

Dec 5, 2017
Long Island

Just so very typical. Hutchinson and Thibodeaux aren’t Nick Bosa level (who we also missed out on because of a December win) but they are two great talents on the most important defensive position that we desperately need. I’m not sure where Douglas goes on these two picks because the team just has so many holes but Hamilton, Neal and Linderbaum are likely candidates and should be solid players.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Just so very typical. Hutchinson and Thibodeaux aren’t Nick Bosa level (who we also missed out on because of a December win) but they are two great talents on the most important defensive position that we desperately need. I’m not sure where Douglas goes on these two picks because the team just has so many holes but Hamilton, Neal and Linderbaum are likely candidates and should be solid players.

Man, Kyle Hamilton is a force on the back-end, but after going through the Jamal Adams top 6 pick fiasco I would hope JD does not take a Safety with another top 10 pick.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Man, Kyle Hamilton is a force on the back-end, but after going through the Jamal Adams top 6 pick fiasco I would hope JD does not take a Safety with another top 10 pick.

Safety is such an unimportant position in the grand scheme of things that you never want to pay big bucks for. Hopefully they stay away.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
True, but to be fair that was the lottery. And also what eventually got the Knicks back to the playoffs? It was a strong offseason by management.

I pray that Woody Johnson does not get rid of Saleh or Douglas too early.

Exactly have you seen from Douglas and Saleh to say this? Woody Johnson set this franchise back another 7-10 years with Joe Douglas and his hires and draft picks.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
Exactly have you seen from Douglas and Saleh to say this? Woody Johnson set this franchise back another 7-10 years with Joe Douglas and his hires and draft picks.

Douglas and Saleh have accomplished more than Woody Johnson ever has. So if you’re making me choose who would make the right decision on anything I pick Saleh/Douglas over Woody any day of the week.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
Safety is such an unimportant position in the grand scheme of things that you never want to pay big bucks for. Hopefully they stay away.

The Jets need to upgrade the big money positions in the Draft. Assuming Wilson is the QB and Becton is the long term LT, the Jets should select the BPA Pass Rusher and CB with the 1sts. Draft OL help in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

YearlyLottery

The Pooch Report
Feb 7, 2013
South Carolina
The Jets need to upgrade the big money positions in the Draft. Assuming Wilson is the QB and Becton is the long term LT, the Jets should select the BPA Pass Rusher and CB with the 1sts. Draft OL help in the 2nd and 3rd rounds.

Stingley worries me with the injuries but if the medicals check out I would be fine with the Jets drafting him with one of their first round picks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad