OT: The Football Thread

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I agree. As a Ravens fan, I'm biased, but his stats are pretty impressive.

He's 90.57%, tops all-time. He's 98.1% on kicks under 40yds. He's clutch - nailing 50 straight 4th quarter kicks, including 16 for 16 in the last minute of a game.

Dude's been money.

47 yarder in 2nd OT in Mile High during that Super Bowl run
2/2 in the Super Bowl

Of course Vinatieri has been in more clutch situations, but I'd take Tucker

Reactions: JKP

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
The Giants screwed up when they picked a RB at #3 when they have a lot of other needs.

The Jets are just the f***ing Jets. Hurts to watch.

Hey, even the Giants aren't dumb enough to select a RB at No. 3 overall ... they made sure to take him at No. 2 overall!

In that draft, I would have happily traded with the Jets, scooped up their extra picks then taken Nelson at No. 6 overall and drafted Nick Chubb in the second round.

That would have probably worked out better than the Barkley-Will Hernandez duo of constant regression.

Reactions: Riseonfire

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
47 yarder in 2nd OT in Mile High during that Super Bowl run
2/2 in the Super Bowl

Of course Vinatieri has been in more clutch situations, but I'd take Tucker
The Ravens are a good but nerve-wracking team to follow – they never seem to win "easy" and their games are always crazy close. He's one of the few things that brings calm when watching them. ;)

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Hey, even the Giants aren't dumb enough to select a RB at No. 3 overall ... they made sure to take him at No. 2 overall!

In that draft, I would have happily traded with the Jets, scooped up their extra picks then taken Nelson at No. 6 overall and drafted Nick Chubb in the second round.

That would have probably worked out better than the Barkley-Will Hernandez duo of constant regression.

The fact that Barkley has been injured is besides the point too, he could be the best running back of all time and he still wouldn't be worth taking at #2.

There are so many examples of taking RBs in the top 10 that don't work out and teams continue to do it, it is mind bottling. And sure, some of those guys have individual success - Peterson, Zeke, McCaffrey - but the team success hasn't been there.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY
You can say Douglas is a poor talent evaluator (which could lead to his demise and is ultimately the mark of a true great GM) but you cannot say that he did not invest around Zach Wilson.

Did he f*** Sam Darnold in that department? Yes, of course.

But he has tried a different approach for ZW. He traded up for 1st round guard, he got Morgan Moses, signed Dan Feeney for depth, got Corey Davis, drafted Elijah Moore, drafted a pass catching back in Michael Carter.

I'm also in the "throw the guy to the wolves because if he is THE guy, he will show it" camp, but Douglas definitely screwed ZW by not adding a veteran QB as his backup and mentor. That is inexplicable.

At the end of the day, Zach Wilson is getting an average of 1.7 seconds of time in the pocket to throw the ball before getting crunched. He also had his WRs and RBs drop 7-8 catchable balls yesterday. So while I like Joe D's approach, the guys he's put in place aren't getting the job done.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
The fact that Barkley has been injured is besides the point too, he could be the best running back of all time and he still wouldn't be worth taking at #2.

There are so many examples of taking RBs in the top 10 that don't work out and teams continue to do it, it is mind bottling. And sure, some of those guys have individual success - Peterson, Zeke, McCaffrey - but the team success hasn't been there.

Such wasted draft capital on THE MOST volatile position in sports. I’ll never understand pro teams spending a 1st rounder on a RB.

edit: what’s the a/an rule for abbreviations? Any English nerds?

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
At the end of the day, Zach Wilson is getting an average of 1.7 seconds of time in the pocket to throw the ball before getting crunched. He also had his WRs and RBs drop 7-8 catchable balls yesterday. So while I like Joe D's approach, the guys he's put in place aren't getting the job done.
i just want improvement. if they're struggling all three games like this what am i gonna expect when wilsons gotta face vita vea, JPP, and lavonte david? he's gonna die. I beg the seahawks miss this year so the jets get more talent but they desperately need to get something going. I don't wanna look at tanking again. I hate being excited for drafts and i wanna be excited for SNF with the Jets for once. It's been 10 years since they had a meaningful primetime game, TEN. The isles were shit back then. Either sell the team to Bezos or fold them.

Goombha

Raging Ryan
Aug 27, 2013

You identified half the problem. The other half is clueless Lafleur. Averaging 1.7 seconds in the pocket, on 3rd and 2, Lafleur goes with 5 receivers and an empty backfield. Genius. How 'bout we give the kid a fighting chance? Incorporate the tight ends, dink and dunk, rollouts, screens, QB/RB options, etc. Play calling has been atrocious. The definition of psychotic has been on full display.

Last edited:

Osakahaus

Chillin' on Fuji
May 28, 2021
You identified half the problem. The other half is clueless Lafleur. Averaging 1.7 seconds in the pocket, on 3rd and 2, Lafleur goes with 5 receivers and an empty backfield. Genius. How 'bout we give the kid a fighting chance? Incorporate the tight ends, dink and dunk, rollouts, screens, QB/RB options, etc. Play calling has been atrocious. The definition of psychotic has been on full display.
Here's what i have found out: they're trying to emulate the SF/GB offensive scheme, which is terrible for a team that's young and inexperienced. it not only is complicated for a young QB, it makes for every play to be executed perfectly and depends on a strong run game. Jets have no good run game and they really lack a line that makes this work (even green bay can do well down batakahri and SF down their entire run game). If Lafleur wants to get this fanbase going, then let wilson and the team do an offense that works for both, and that means more checkdowns and more stretching the field. Mims should absolutely be playing as well but a good instance is having someone like berrios be a dummy WR and Mims the actual WR (Gruden used this a ton with Ruggs and Agahlor last season with Ruggs being the dummy and Agahlor catching). This is what you gotta do for a young QB and team, not run complicated plays that require utmost discipline and can cost your team because the line and RB fail to communicate

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Such wasted draft capital on THE MOST volatile position in sports. I’ll never understand pro teams spending a 1st rounder on a RB.

edit: what’s the a/an rule for abbreviations? Any English nerds?

Now you've done. :laugh:

It's "an" because you are reading the lettings and not what it stands for.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
p>

Reactions: ML19 and islesmb

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Great performance by Wilson despite some obvious mistakes. Game should have been over a few times. Wilson got some protection today. Something to build on.

Last edited:
Reactions: ML19

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
The Bills, yes they are the team I cheer for since wide right happened, IMO have not played a good game this season and they are 3-1. Which is a good or bad thing.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
The Bills, yes they are the team I cheer for since wide right happened, IMO have not played a good game this season and they are 3-1. Which is a good or bad thing.

We'll know who the Bills are on Sunday night. If the Bills can slow down the KC offense, then they're the definite favorites in the AFC.

KC has cheat code Mahomes but couldn't stop a JV team right now.

Reactions: The Winter Soldier

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
We'll know who the Bills are on Sunday night. If the Bills can slow down the KC offense, then they're the definite favorites in the AFC.

KC has cheat code Mahomes but couldn't stop a JV team right now.
This will be a litmus test. The score flattered the Bills last year when they met in the playoffs I thought. The Bills should be better this year. You want to be hitting your best stride late in the year as opposed to early I guess. Mahomes is something else.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Crickets on this thread. As it should be I suppose if you’re a NY football fan.

Being a Jets’ fan feels eerily similar to what I felt for the last 20+ years as an Isles’ fan until new ownership came in.

Are you listening Woody?

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Being a Jets’ fan feels eerily similar to what I felt for the last 20+ years as an Isles’ fan until new ownership came in.

Tbh, the Jets chance at *showing* big improvements this year ended when they lost Becton, and then Lawson who were looking like their two best players this year. I like the coach. I think they've got a plan.

The Real JT

Louie louie, oh no, me gotta go
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Tbh, the Jets chance at *showing* big improvements this year ended when they lost Becton, and then Lawson who were looking like their two best players this year. I like the coach. I think they've got a plan.

I felt the same way before the season. I hope you’re right. It’s just hard to watch now.

The only bright spot so far for me is the play of Michael Carter (RB).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad