OT: The Football Thread

MattMartin

Killer Instinct™
Feb 10, 2007
Long Island
Darmold isn't worth OBJ imo. I think you keep him and see what comes out of him because I believe the return will be underwhelming atm.

Well, after todays injury, I'm not even sure the Jets would want him. He can't seem to stay healthy + the attitude.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Watching Jets vs Chargers.

This just in.

Wow are the Jets bad.

Most seasons they would still find a way to win a few games and screw up their draft position.

This time I just don't think that's possible.

Last edited:

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
They can't afford to win

It really is in their best interest to lose all of their games. Trevor Lawrence is an Andrew Luck type of franchise changing talent. Becton looks like the goods at LT so that's huge to take care of the 2 top offensive positions and with 4 years of cheap control over Becton and 5 on Lawrence. The Jets have a lot of roster flexibility and a rather clean salary cap going forward so if Douglas if legit, things can change in a hurry. With a nice amount of extra premium picks, the Jets to re-stock the defense in addition to getting Lawrence. There are some decent weapons at WR for Trevor too.

Gotta get rid of Gase and bring in a legit coach. Harbaugh could be a great fit because he's definitely leaving Michigan.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
It really is in their best interest to lose all of their games. Trevor Lawrence is an Andrew Luck type of franchise changing talent. Becton looks like the goods at LT so that's huge to take care of the 2 top offensive positions and with 4 years of cheap control over Becton and 5 on Lawrence. The Jets have a lot of roster flexibility and a rather clean salary cap going forward so if Douglas if legit, things can change in a hurry. With a nice amount of extra premium picks, the Jets to re-stock the defense in addition to getting Lawrence. There are some decent weapons at WR for Trevor too.

Gotta get rid of Gase and bring in a legit coach. Harbaugh could be a great fit because he's definitely leaving Michigan.

I applaud this.

Not sure if I'm on the Harbaugh bandwagon though. I'm leaning towards Arthur Smith because I think Bienemy lands in HOU.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I applaud this.

Not sure if I'm on the Harbaugh bandwagon though. I'm leaning towards Arthur Smith because I think Bienemy lands in HOU.

Whether it's Harbaugh or someone else, Gase needs to be punted into space. It's gotta be Douglas' choice for next coach and Woody needs to get out of the way. It remains to be seen if that will happen.

Not a Jets fan myself, but I'm quite familiar with the team. My Denver Broncos are in limbo, I'm not sold on Drew Lock yet he's been thrust into a not ideal situation. Losing Von Miller and Courtland Sutton were huge blows.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
I’m hoping for Joe Brady.

I like him as well but he would need a veteran DC. He's super young and never had a head coaching gig before, that worries me a little bit. Although I live in Charlotte now and watch a lot of Panthers games, they are fun to watch on offense.

They do have better playmakers than the Jets (even without CMC) but the o-line really isn't all that great but he is creative and gets the job done.

Whether it's Harbaugh or someone else, Gase needs to be punted into space. It's gotta be Douglas' choice for next coach and Woody needs to get out of the way. It remains to be seen if that will happen.

Not a Jets fan myself, but I'm quite familiar with the team. My Denver Broncos are in limbo, I'm not sold on Drew Lock yet he's been thrust into a not ideal situation. Losing Von Miller and Courtland Sutton were huge blows.

Completely agree, let JD run the show. His first draft class shows he slightly knows what he's doing.

Not to be a hater, but I still do not understand the Melvin Gordon signing / contract? I think Philip Lindsay is the better, cheaper AND younger player. Do you think they explore other QB options in the offseason?

Reactions: Lights911

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
I like him as well but he would need a veteran DC. He's super young and never had a head coaching gig before, that worries me a little bit. Although I live in Charlotte now and watch a lot of Panthers games, they are fun to watch on offense.

They do have better playmakers than the Jets (even without CMC) but the o-line really isn't all that great but he is creative and gets the job done.

Completely agree, let JD run the show. His first draft class shows he slightly knows what he's doing.

Not to be a hater, but I still do not understand the Melvin Gordon signing / contract? I think Philip Lindsay is the better, cheaper AND younger player. Do you think they explore other QB options in the offseason?

Brady makes a lot of sense, I agree he needs his Wade Phillips DC like McVay had so he can just concentrate on reshaping the offense behind Lawrence.

As for the Broncos, I wasn't keen on Gordon. I can understand the move in theory though. Lindsay is small and is more suited to gadget RB role, but he's not a good pass catcher and awful in protection blocking. Gordon is an upgrade in all facets beyond lugging the rock like 10-15 touches/game.

I like Lock, I like his swagger and moxie. The O-Line has been a mess the last 2 years and I'd like to see him with a competent line not ravaged by injuries before I make the final decision. Bolles has improved, but that waste of space RT Ju'Wan James opting out and always being hurt anyway has killed the team. Cushenberry has promise at C and the guards should be ok when healthy. Draft a real RT and punt James into space, that piece of shit.

The main thing is getting healthy again. Lock does flash big potential, but it gets short circuited by shit play calling and losing players to injury. Jeudy is sick, Hamler is super fast, Noah Fant looks good when he's not dinged up (he always is and that concerns me), and Sutton is beastly if he can return healthy. Lock does have some prime weapons if he can only not be running for his life half the time.

Reactions: Mr Misunderstood

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
What a brutal loss against the Raiders today.

I was tempted to say "Same Old Jets" but the Jets usually win these meaningless late season games to screw up their draft position.

Nice job Coach Gase and Coach Williams. Get your resumes ready.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011

I was tempted to say "Same Old Jets" but the Jets usually win these meaningless late season games to screw up their draft position.

Jacksonvile in ot, we need them to win because they'll likely have the draft tiebreaker for number one against jets. As I've said before I expect Bill B to tank the last game vs Jets.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

Brutal loss, but it was probably the best thing that could have happened. Jacksonville has a shot to win against Minnesota right now, but they would have leapfrogged the Jets for Lawrence if the Jets won and they lose. If JAX wins, that would be huge to get a game cushion.

The Real JT

No diving allowed
Jul 2, 2018
Connecticut
Jacksonvile in ot, we need them to win because they'll likely have the draft tiebreaker for number one against jets. As I've said before I expect Bill B to tank the last game vs Jets.

Did you hear Boomer on the post game show?

He basically said the Jets were trying to lose. Hard to imagine players and coaches would do that. Pride and job security would take precedence I would think.

In any case, I bet Boomer's bosses at CBS and the suits in the NFL front office are not happy with him.

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
Jackson has lost like 4 out of 6 in the last seconds. Looks like they are going to lose again. If anything, they are tanking.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
Important loss for the Jets, they can't afford to win even a single game, if they want Trevor Lawrence. If the Jets drop out of the top spot, then they will need to embrace Darnold at QB, trade down to accumulate talent (ideally moving down 2-3 times for teams that want QBs like Fields, Lance, etc.) and hope for the best.

I don't feel that the Jaguars have tanked, they just have had some hard-fought games, brutal luck, some injuries and horrific QB play. The Jags have some young and talented players in Chark, Shenault, Conley, Collin Johnson, Robinson, Norwell, Cann, Shatley and Taylor on offense. With some pieces also on defense in Sidney Jones (who needs to stay healthy), C.J. Henderson, Myles Jack, Costin, Josh Allen, etc.

For the Jets though, it will be more than just "winning" that top spot. They also need to bring in a quality head coach and might even need to think about a team president who commands respect, if they opt to keep Douglas as GM. The Jets biggest job might be selling Trevor Lawrence on the idea that the Jets are on the right path.

While the allure of the NFL and a big payday will probably get Lawrence to come out, you can also tell that the kid loves playing at Clemson, so he has some leverage by threatening to take out a big insurance policy and return to school. The Jets will need to show Trevor and his advisory team that they can build and field a winner.

danteipp

Aug 3, 2005
One quick note about the Giants game, the importance of quality NFL coaching was on full display in how the Giants performed today (and for most of the season so far) versus how they played under those two buffoons, Pat Shurmur and James Bettcher.

Neither Shurmur nor Bettcher had the ability to teach or mold young players. Bettcher came in and tried to run the defense like he had his loaded Cardinals defenses, with lots of young veterans and established stars, and never adjusted for the many first- and second-year players the Giants had on the roster.

Every game, Patrick Graham is making Bettcher look worse and worse. Bettcher's defenses reminded me of those helmed by Johnnie/Johnny Lynn (you should probably never trust a man who seemingly spells his name two different ways), when he was trying to run his "read and react" BS scheme and couldn't make adjustments during games.

Beacon Isles

Feb 20, 2015
Beacon, NY

I don't see that last part happening. Pats are 6-6. They'll either be fighting for a wild card potentially, or trying to avoid Beli's first losing season in 20 years. Belichek's pride and wanting to show it wasnt all Tom Brady will override any thought of trying to screw up the Jets shot at the #1.

One other thing - Week 17, Jax plays the Colts, who may have their playoff spot clinched, and may rest players.

BrockLobster

Feb 11, 2013
Long Beach, NY
Im not a big football guy. But what makes people think trevor lawrence can succeed w the talent on this team?

Joe Douglas hasnt committed to firing gase which is nuts

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Im not a big football guy. But what makes people think trevor lawrence can succeed w the talent on this team?

Joe Douglas hasnt committed to firing gase which is nuts

He most likely wouldn't be successful in his first season, but that is when you start putting the pieces around him and on defense.
In today's NFL you have a window when your QB is on his rookie deal to spend money elsewhere and create a team to compete. Years 3-5 are the crucial seasons.

Also, you have some pieces to be excited about - Becton, Mims, Quentin, JFM, Ashtyn Davis, Branden MANN. JD's first draft is looking pretty good, which can't be said about almost every Jets draft since maybe 2011? Knowing that, he has a boatload of picks coming up to build the future.

JD will fire the entire staff at the end of the year. If he doesn't, he's not the man for the job OR the Johnson's are simple minded assholes.

Reactions: BrockLobster

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
He most likely wouldn't be successful in his first season, but that is when you start putting the pieces around him and on defense.
In today's NFL you have a window when your QB is on his rookie deal to spend money elsewhere and create a team to compete. Years 3-5 are the crucial seasons.

Also, you have some pieces to be excited about - Becton, Mims, Quentin, JFM, Ashtyn Davis, Branden MANN. JD's first draft is looking pretty good, which can't be said about almost every Jets draft since maybe 2011? Knowing that, he has a boatload of picks coming up to build the future.

JD will fire the entire staff at the end of the year. If he doesn't, he's not the man for the job OR the Johnson's are simple minded assholes.

Douglas needs to really beef up the defense, there are some nice pieces on offense to be optimistic about. Becton panning out is freaking huge, having the LT in place before adding Lawrence is as ideal as you can get.

Draft Lawrence, draft a RT (O-Line class looks pretty good) with Seattle's 1st and load up on defense with all the other picks. Spend the massive cap on defense and the Jets could be decent next year and potentially really good the year after.

While they may be a laughingstock right now, it looks like a really good situation for a prospective coach. As long as they don't screw it up and lose out on the 1st or even 2nd pick.

I think they could get a 2nd for Darnold too, more draft capital to rebuild the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad