OT: The Football ( real football :P ) Thread

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Well it’s a win and you’re in. That’s a great result against England, but it still is kind of disappointing. England never really looked all that dangerous and it feels like the US could have stolen a win there.

The MLS guys are clearly the weak links and it isn’t a huge surprise. Shaq Moore was horrible after he came on.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This game result would have been terrific had the US beaten Wales in the first game. They'd be comfortably in a spot to make the round of 16 had they done that.

Can't really complain, though. If the US gets some more Premier League talent in the future, I think they could be a team worth watching. Pulisic and Turner looked really good.

vodeni

Oct 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
Not sure how much it was USA being good vs England not showing up.
a little bit of both, Musah, McKeena and Adams plus Robinson and Dest on flanks are superior to the lame midfield of overated Rice and Bellingham and Mount ...also Sterling sucks andTrippeir has not done anything to insert himseld on that right flank...
anyways, US really can't go much furtehr until they get soemone better in the box than Wright and Weah, not sure whats going on with reyna, and I'd play Aronson instead of Wright,

but these five guys in the middle with healthy reyn, could control any game

Also, US has an excellent goallie Turner is really really good.

and England is not going anywhere when you have Bellingham and Mount playing ahead of Rashford and Grealish

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
a little bit of both, Musah, McKeena and Adams plus Robinson and Dest on flanks are superior to the lame midfield of overated Rice and Bellingham and Mount ...also Sterling sucks andTrippeir has not done anything to insert himseld on that right flank...
anyways, US really can't go much furtehr until they get soemone better in the box than Wright and Weah, not sure whats going on with reyna, and I'd play Aronson instead of Wright,

but these five guys in the middle with healthy reyn, could control any game

Also, US has an excellent goallie Turner is really really good.

and England is not going anywhere when you have Bellingham and Mount playing ahead of Rashford and Grealish

England seemingly has the same problem that Tottenham has. Kane is their best playmaker and finisher. So choose whether you want him to stay up top and not get any service or drop deep and not have anyone finish his chances.

It’ll work for the most part against lower teams but it won’t cut it the further they advance

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Argentina sure didnt look like they had anything to give to Mexico until the final 15-20min. They were lucky to pull that one out. That grouping is going to go down to the final games.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Croatia when asked about how they feel about what Canada said.

giphy.gif

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Morocco beating Belgium is nuts. Not surprised at the Canada/Croatia result. Hutchinson needs to retire and Miller fired into the sun. Canadas defense was always going to be suspect.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Regardless of what happens from here, I'm happy with my Poles for once at a major tournament. They defended their nuts off in both contests.

4 points gets you through at some WCs and Euros. If they lose to Argentina and the other match yields an unlucky result, then so be it.
But that's IF Argentina can take them. Not easy to break down this Poland side.

Goal differential may very well decide 2nd place. That 2-0 goal Lewy got may prove to be critical.

Reactions: Zirakzigil

DanielPlainview

Apr 28, 2009
Strongly dislike Berhalter’s tactics. It’s way too MLS and it’s clear he has no conception of how to get his team to score goals. I guess there’s a reason he was fired from a second division Swedish club for a lack of offensive output

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Regardless of what happens from here, I'm happy with my Poles for once at a major tournament. They defended their nuts off in both contests.

4 points gets you through at some WCs and Euros. If they lose to Argentina and the other match yields an unlucky result, then so be it.
But that's IF Argentina can take them. Not easy to break down this Poland side.

Goal differential may very well decide 2nd place. That 2-0 goal Lewy got may prove to be critical.
The Argentina/Poland match is one Im looking forward too. Levandowski is finally playing up to the level he should be at a world cup.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like the last 20 minutes of that game were just Iran diving and whining about not getting any calls.

Which like I get, but it's the exact kind of stuff that people criticize about the sport.

Reactions: Goalie_Bob

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
Berhalter’s choice in subs has been awful, but a win is a win. Anything after this is really just icing on the cake. It’s been a solid experience for a lot of the younger guys.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Meh, everyone does it.
I legit don't understand why, but I guess at the highest levels the winning team sits back. I'm convinced if Brasil were up 2-0 on the US it would do the same thing.

Something about the dance of professional sports. We see it in hockey when better teams are up, too.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad