The Football (Not American)/Futbol/Soccer Thread: No More International Breaks!

Who Wins the 2018 World Cup?

• Total voters

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012
When absurd amounts of money are on the table... tradition, history, integrity, etc are all off the table. We've seen it countless times. Look no further than US college football, 50-60+ years of traditions started going out the window the second big TV deals started coming in. Now we have a Big Ten with 16 teams in it and extending outside the midwest in both directions. This sort of league is just a matter of time in Europe. It may not happen now or even within 5 years, but 20 from now we will see something similar to what was proposed here.

It’s always all about the money.

Reactions: Pokecheque

John Mandalorian

2022 Avs: The First Dance
Nov 29, 2018
When absurd amounts of money are on the table... tradition, history, integrity, etc are all off the table. We've seen it countless times. Look no further than US college football, 50-60+ years of traditions started going out the window the second big TV deals started coming in. Now we have a Big Ten with 16 teams in it and extending outside the midwest in both directions. This sort of league is just a matter of time in Europe. It may not happen now or even within 5 years, but 20 from now we will see something similar to what was proposed here.

Yeah, that summer where Nebraska and Missouri left the big 12 is the closest comparison to what this was.

As I understand it, this super league would be a potential replacement for the champions league, not the domestic leagues like the EPL. Theres a lot of money involved with the domestic leagues too. If, say, Man U gets banned or relegated to s lower league as punishment, they'll lose a lot of money.

I read stocks in some teams increased dramatically at the start of this but now they've plummeted to be less than the start of the week. Its a huge lesson in the cost of being wrong. Its one of the most disastrous ideas any of us has ever seen.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I 100% believe this Superleague will eventually happen down the road. It might not be in our lifetime, but there is too much money to be made and with inflation increasing on a yearly basis, it's just a matter of time before these two variables collide forcing a point of no return.

It is the way of the world...
Yeah, that summer where Nebraska and Missouri left the big 12 is the closest comparison to what this was.

As I understand it, this super league would be a potential replacement for the champions league, not the domestic leagues like the EPL. Theres a lot of money involved with the domestic leagues too. If, say, Man U gets banned or relegated to s lower league as punishment, they'll lose a lot of money.

I read stocks in some teams increased dramatically at the start of this but now they've plummeted to be less than the start of the week. Its a huge lesson in the cost of being wrong. Its one of the most disastrous ideas any of us has ever seen.

I'd go back further to when the SWC dissolved forcing TCU, SMU, Rice etc to random leagues and then Texas and Texas A&M taking some political buddies to the Big 8. But yeah the last big realignment is close.

Seems like it would be a great time to buy those stocks... this is gonna pass and the EPL won't actually relegate Man U. Too much money lost on their end that could just push them out quicker. You don't heal a broken toe by cutting off your foot.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
Not sure why Barcelona and Real Madrid remain the lone holdouts but it's only a matter of time at this point.
Real's president is the main driving force and the teams that got out need to pay a fee for breaking the deal, the last team remaining will get all of that buyout money. Both of those clubs are run by POSs who spend more money than they make. Real is in a deep hole and keeps getting bailed out by the government only to spend ~170mil€ on the likes of Eden Hazard and Luka Jovic. He whines about losing money yet is trying to sign David Alaba to 30mil per season.

And no Superleague won't happen because thankfully Europe isn't the USA and fans actually mean something in the grand scheme of things.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Stan had to hand "ownership" duties over to Josh for most all of his franchises except the Rams because the NFL has dumb rules. But it turned out to be a blessing in disguise because Josh is actually pretty good at his job. I don't know if those NFL rules apply to overseas properties but it definitely affected the Nuggets and Avalanche.

Miri

Lavinengefahr!
Aug 13, 2013
Slovakia
Not sure why Barcelona and Real Madrid remain the lone holdouts but it's only a matter of time at this point.

Because they are pricks of the highest order, who kept spending zillions on expensive players to keep themselves atop and fending the oil clubs - except unlike oil-clubs they indebted themselves to the ground and now they are f***ed, unless the Superleague happens and they get shit-ton of the money from that.
Just look at current UCL semis - its Madrid and 3 billionaire/oil-clubs. Barcelona is not there only because, well there are only 4 spots, and because Messi is getting older and the expensive purchases they made recently (Dembele, Coutinho, Griezmann) or not quite working out. Anyway, feck them.

On another note, beautiful display by ManUtd yesterday in second half, dismantling Roma once again. Once it was 6-2, i was hoping for seventh, for the history to repeat :-P

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad