OT: The Food & Drinks Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

MasterDecoy

Who took my beer?
May 4, 2010
Beijing
my homecooked favorite is a chinese dish called pai huang gua, "smashed cucumber", its... *gasp* smashed cucumbers served in a sauce.

the basics is:
- take 2 chinese cucumber - kirby cucumber will do, english cucumber will disappoint you so right there its hard to do back home. chinese cucumber are crunchy and that's what were aiming for
- take the side of a meat cleaver and beat the ever loving **** out of it until its all cracked, chop it into bite size chunk. throw in a fancy looking bowl
- chop some garlic and pour it on top
- add salt, put aside

for the sauce, i go by taste, its should be salty (soy sauce will take care of that), vinegary with a hint of sweetness, its a mix of:
- heavy, rich soysauce (vh won't do for that),
- chinese brown rice vinegar (be careful, some are white vinegar with caramel colouring, and the brand i love i haven't been able to find outside china so that's little problem...) edit: don't even try with white vinegar...
- some sugar to balance out the vinegar. otherwise youre gonna have some weird faces at the table
- pepper
- a wee bit of olive oil to keep it all together

mix it all up together. let it sit for another 10 minutes and shazam, you got pai huang gua. its simple, its a great summer dish and if you do it right. let it sit too long and the salt will drain all the water out of the cucumber, making your sauce watery; don't want enough, and the taste of the cucumber won't mix with the sauce, creating an apartheid of taste - and we don't want that

i add a few personal touches depending how fancy im feeling and i have time:
- 'some' chopped cilantro on top add a really nice flavour to the mix
- add de-shelled, fried peanuts to the mix. this... this is the best.
- i occasionally add finely chopped red chillis, or barring that, some of the local chilli paste they have here, gives the whole concoction a kick

what it should look like, not mine.
CNUdbF_VEAAPVG0.jpg

IMG_9937_.jpg

presenting the cucumber like this works better with english cucumber since they don't smash very well. it looks better, but tastes bland as **** because the cucumber's juices won't mix with the sauce. that said, if you only have english cucumber, id present it that way, speaking from experience
smashing-cucumber-salad-012.jpg

took me a while to figure out my proportions and whanot, but now that i got it down, its the best. takes 10 minutes to do, and its very refreshing in the summer

edit: theres plenty of recipes online you can find if you want to know exact proportions, me, i rainman all my food :D

Last edited:
Reactions: CalgarySnow

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Two words that would prevent me from ever going vegan/vegetarian...

BBQ chicken.

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
I'd guess that it's not the same process to rehydrate all of them. If you bought them at an herb store, they should be able to help you. Some may need to be soaked in warm water, some blendered with cold water and filtered, and some peeled and grated dry...
got them from an asian store on Côte des Neiges

weird that there is no instruction at all i can find on this product on the internet, even looking for each ingredient individually doesn't yield much result (i have to think they screwed up the translation for some of them on the package)

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Favourites by far are Indian food and Thai food. If anyone drives by Woodstock/Ingersoll (southern Ontario), you need to stop at Mango Salad or Banana Leaf. Just amazing coconut rice, great soups and just all-around amazing. If you're around Ottawa, Yame (in Gatineau) is truly great and Som Tum as well as Bangkok Thai are pretty good.

For Indian food, in Woodstock, Tandoori Knight was truly amazing. In Ottawa, India Palace has a great buffet. Host India and Coconut Lagoon are great.

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Favourites by far are Indian food and Thai food. If anyone drives by Woodstock/Ingersoll (southern Ontario), you need to stop at Mango Salad or Banana Leaf. Just amazing coconut rice, great soups and just all-around amazing. If you're around Ottawa, Yame (in Gatineau) is truly great and Som Tum as well as Bangkok Thai are pretty good.

For Indian food, in Woodstock, Tandoori Knight was truly amazing. In Ottawa, India Palace has a great buffet. Host India and Coconut Lagoon are great.

I concur for Host India as well.
Little India Cafe is great too, but is ridiculously small.

It's a shame there's no decent option in Gatineau.

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Best bakery in Montreal? German friend is pretty fancy when it comes to bread and I want the best (or most european) spot.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Three favorite bakeries

Here are three bakeries that I like:

1. Alati-Caserta: http://www.alaticaserta.com/italian-pastries.html
277 Dante, Little Italy

Favorites: rhum babas are exceptional, also great are the crispy, flaky "code d'aragosta" filled with ricotta (they also offer them filled with Chantilly cream but prefer the ricotta ones), as well as ricotta cannolis which they fill on the spot should they run out in the display counter.

o.jpg

2. Patisserie Wawel: http://www.patisseriewawel.com/nos-viennoiseries
2543 Ontario East, Mtl.

Favorites: their Ponkis are well worth it. You have to go early for best selection as most types sell fast. You'll still find them early afternoon but best to call. Ponkis are special polish donuts that are made with very few quality ingredients and that actually involve recognizable names. Think of the best donut you ever had, minus the excess sugar and chemicals.

f5b414_c82a71531f5e43ccb42bc5d6df91d900.webp

3. Patisserie Bela Vista: http://www.patisseriebelavista.com/
6409 Papineau, Mtl.

Favorites: Probably the best natas in Montreal. If you go early, you'll have them at their best. So tasty. You can eat them on the premises, they have an espresso bar to complement your natas.

Here's a photo of their natas:

natas

You won't go wrong with any of these three places. If you've taken up the above suggestions, please let me know how you liked them. Great options when you're looking for an original dessert.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Favourites by far are Indian food and Thai food.

Would love to have anyone's suggestions for your best Indian restaurants in Montreal (including Laval area).

I'm a fan of lamb masala and any dish involving masala.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
Would love to have anyone's suggestions for your best Indian restaurants in Montreal (including Laval area).

I'm a fan of lamb masala and any dish involving masala.

Thanks in advance for your recommendations.

I just got back from India and it really got me into the food. I am also looking for good suggestions in the downtown area!

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Took the grease off my red wine sauce today and had it with a leftover steak. It was beautiful. :)

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
...I'm just realizing that I can't remember having a vegan meal, ever, unless poutine counts as a Vegan Meal (and it probably shouldn't).

Uber Coca

Apr 23, 2003
Montreal
Here are three bakeries that I like:

Awesome! Thanks for that.

As for Indian food, I highly recommand Thali on St-Marc. Actually not far from the Bell Center and it's cheap as hell ; if my memory's good, the 10$ option gives you a choice of meat and two side + rice + naan. And it's delicious. I don't think it's a hidden secret anymore as a lot of blogs or sites have been advertising it.

As for the vegan discussion, I also don't eat as much meat nowadays. Culturally, we've been grown at thinking that meat is essential hence why it's in every meals. But I've been saving so much money in eating chicken or fish 1 or 2 times a week and only vege the rest of the week. Also, vege and vegan places tend to be delicious because they know how to use spices.

...I'm just realizing that I can't remember having a vegan meal, ever, unless poutine counts as a Vegan Meal (and it probably shouldn't).

Cheese and gravy makes it non-vegan. L'Grox Luxe makes a vegetarian poutine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad