OT: The Food & Drinks Thread Part Trois

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
It probably does need some colour correction, but the meat shows no evidence of high heat. Very poor technique with that strip loin. (shivers)

Maybe it is perfectly cooked sous-vide and just lacked a quick searing to finish?

Maybe?

angusyoung

Back in the day, I was always horny!
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar

This is one of the best culinary page I follow

That's f-in disgusting man.
My reaction
tenor.gif

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
I think it's a pork chop. That fat screams pork chop.

I’m 99% certain it’s a strip loin. Mostly from the fat cap at the top but also the little rounded bit on the end at the top. Common characteristics of a New York Strip.

The thing I’m still trying to figure out is what happened to the, what looks like, eggs. :laugh:

Are they even eggs?

Reactions: Tighthead

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I’m 99% certain it’s a strip loin. Mostly from the fat cap at the top but also the little rounded bit on the end at the top. Common characteristics of a New York Strip.

The thing I’m still trying to figure out is what happened to the, what looks like, eggs. :laugh:

Are they even eggs?
Its clearly a NY strip, its just been boiled.

Edgy

Nov 30, 2009
Reactions: groovejuice

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
My dinner. Moroccan pork chops with a warm potato salad with veg and a lime, honey and fennel seed dressing.

View attachment 275013
I'm moving to Jeddah on Tuesday. I will definitely miss the asian food I've gotten to enjoy in Hong Kong and surrounding travels. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia isn't really what most consider an interesting location, but I got a great offer/opportunity there and given the social-political crisis that sent HK in a recession, I opted to take the offer. One thing I am very much looking forward to is getting closer to my Lebanese roots and finally enjoying some arabic food again. That's one thing that was sourly lacking here, quite lame arabic cuisine.
Asia was so awesome though, I absolutely love it here. Definitely want to come back here for another experience.

Reactions: groovejuice

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I'm moving to Jeddah on Tuesday. I will definitely miss the asian food I've gotten to enjoy in Hong Kong and surrounding travels. The Kingdom of Saudi Arabia isn't really what most consider an interesting location, but I got a great offer/opportunity there and given the social-political crisis that sent HK in a recession, I opted to take the offer. One thing I am very much looking forward to is getting closer to my Lebanese roots and finally enjoying some arabic food again. That's one thing that was sourly lacking here, quite lame arabic cuisine.
Asia was so awesome though, I absolutely love it here. Definitely want to come back here for another experience.

And, there's Tim Hortons!

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I gotta say, an iced cap in 50 degree heat is exactly what the doctor ordered lol.
That weather will be a challenge, at least now is the good weather so moving there at the right time of the year. Hong Kong summers are no joke too so I guess I'm better prepared then if I was coming from Mtl.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
That weather will be a challenge, at least now is the good weather so moving there at the right time of the year. Hong Kong summers are no joke too so I guess I'm better prepared then if I was coming from Mtl.

You are a lot better prepared. I've had very good food in Saudi. The best being Lebanese, actually. Have you been, yet?

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jeez havent been in MTL in a while during the summer? f***ing scorching heat. Even the amazonian jungle is more comfortable IMO. All that heat, with no wind and f***ing humidity with no beach close-by. f***ing hell.

Too cold in the winter and too hot in the summer. f***, I cant wait to GTFO from here.

Reactions: Edgy

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Off topic rant but does anyone else hate googling a recipe and the top hits are all the modern narrative form where the author writes 8 paragraphs of prose before laying out the part that could fit on an index card?

I just skip away from them if I can, and always start with allrecipes where it is nice and simple.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Off topic rant but does anyone else hate googling a recipe and the top hits are all the modern narrative form where the author writes 8 paragraphs of prose before laying out the part that could fit on an index card?

I just skip away from them if I can, and always start with allrecipes where it is nice and simple.
I've started using reddit to find recipes more and more often. "BBQ pork belly recipe reddit" and go through the results on the Google. I've had some decent success, and no annoying blog posts before it.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
I've started using reddit to find recipes more and more often. "BBQ pork belly recipe reddit" and go through the results on the Google. I've had some decent success, and no annoying blog posts before it.

That is a pretty good source as well. I like getting the odd caveat from there or from allrecipes such as "use 1/2 the clove suggested" or whatever, but I don't need the backstory about how amazing it was.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Back when I used to do gigs on the low for restaurants that needed a quick fix I hated not knowing how to make X and Y so Id always run to the toilet with my phone and google a few recipes just to not look like a fool and I found out that allrecipes is a community sourced databased and that sometimes the mascarpone recipe is nowhere near up to the standards and you look like a fool anyway with a crappy recipe :laugh:

Reactions: Le Tricolore

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
That is a pretty good source as well. I like getting the odd caveat from there or from allrecipes such as "use 1/2 the clove suggested" or whatever, but I don't need the backstory about how amazing it was.
Or how the blogger came up with the recipe while dear hubby was playing with their dog Milo out by the docks or whatever bullshit they come up with.

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Back when I used to do gigs on the low for restaurants that needed a quick fix I hated not knowing how to make X and Y so Id always run to the toilet with my phone and google a few recipes just to not look like a fool and I found out that allrecipes is a community sourced databased and that sometimes the mascarpone recipe is nowhere near up to the standards and you look like a fool anyway with a crappy recipe :laugh:

I usually read the reviews and have reasonable confidence that the recipe is solid. I have had good luck there.

I don't think looking for recipes in the crapper under time constraints is ideal...

Reactions: Mrb1p
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad