The Food & Drink Thread (amuse bouche)

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Most of the places I went to before the lockdown are open now. I still wouldn't go to a sit down place or a patio though. Would rather people come over for a BBQ or brunch instead. I only really went out to restaurants on the rare occasion anyway.

I was not concerned in the least. NO difference to me being homoe outdoors or on a patio, about 8 feet away from the next table

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Bought myself a Sous Vide machine about a year ago, and not longer use my BBQ to cook Steak .... once I started to use the Sous Vide Method of cooking Steak, I could not being myself to use the BBQ again .... even though I made pretty good steaks, for years on the BBQ.

Why use Sous Vide?

Because it's the most reliable way to get a perfectly cooked Steak.

Once you've zeroed in on your exact temperature (129F) you'll always get the perfect (for you) steak each and every time.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Bought myself a Sous Vide machine about a year ago, and not longer use my BBQ to cook Steak .... once I started to use the Sous Vide Method of cooking Steak, I could not being myself to use the BBQ again .... even though I made pretty good steaks, for years on the BBQ.

Why use Sous Vide?

Because it's the most reliable way to get a perfectly cooked Steak.

Once you've zeroed in on your exact temperature (129F) you'll always get the perfect (for you) steak each and every time.
After it's done taking its bath, can you get a pretty serious char on it without temping up?

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
After it's done taking its bath, can you get a pretty serious char on it without temping up?

Remove from bag, pat dry with paper towels (very important) and have a cast iron frying pan ready to go, at medium to high heat, with ev olive oil.... and then using thongs, I sear the edges (about a minute each) and then each side about 2 minutes each.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Any other smokers in here? Not cigarettes...

16820-2_Lifestyle-Angle.jpg

I got one of these back in the fall, but trying hard to resist the OG Kamado Joe since it could be considered a somewhat frivolous purchase...

Sen sational

Mar 27, 2019

I got one of these back in the fall, but trying hard to resist the OG Kamado Joe since it could be considered a somewhat frivolous purchase...
I do a fair bit of smoking on a Weber gas grill using a smoker box. You cant beat sitting in the back yard with the smell of ribs.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Remove from bag, pat dry with paper towels (very important) and have a cast iron frying pan ready to go, at medium to high heat, with ev olive oil.... and then using thongs, I sear the edges (about a minute each) and then each side about 2 minutes each.
If you are trying to get a good sear do not use olive oil. It burns at moderate temperatures.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City

I came very close to buying a weber 22" charcoal grill so I could do some smoking. I would love to get a barrel grill with a side smoker but they seem not to be selling them as much now because it seems like most stores are going with pellet smokers.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
I came very close to buying a weber 22" charcoal grill so I could do some smoking. I would love to get a barrel grill with a side smoker but they seem not to be selling them as much now because it seems like most stores are going with pellet smokers.
I want to get an offset pellet smoker as well. If you buy them in the late fall you can usually get a Traeger for around 3-400$.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Best sandwich in Ottawa:

Thai chicken sandwich at Art is in Bakery.

Best sandwich cost wise in Ottawa:

Anything from Di Rienzo's. It's really good too.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Best sandwich in Ottawa:

Thai chicken sandwich at Art is in Bakery.

Best sandwich cost wise in Ottawa:

Anything from Di Rienzo's. It's really good too.
Frank's at the corner of Meadowlands and Fisher is really good, and they proclaim to have the best butter tarts. I have had them and they are the best I have had. Also, their turkey pot pie was also the best I have ever tasted

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Frank's at the corner of Meadowlands and Fisher is really good, and they proclaim to have the best butter tarts. I have had them and they are the best I have had. Also, their turkey pot pie was also the best I have ever tasted
I once got food poisoning from the Nicastro's on Merivale like 5 years ago. They didn't refrigerate the sliced deli meats and had them sitting on top were they make the sandwiches. I noticed it before hand and though they maybe just sliced. I was wrong.

Franks sandwich menu's looks very similar to Di Rienzo's. Gonna have to try it.

The food at Art is in bakery is top notch but too dam expensive to make it a place to visit more than once every few months for me. Sandwich and a drink costs 20$. Try and get a side of fries to go with the sandwich and you have to order a full plate for 7 dollars. Nuts!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad