The Food & Drink Thread (amuse bouche)

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Anyone try Shakshuka?

Just before the lock down I had people over for brunch and made it along with cornflake crusted french toast, roasted potatoes, asparagus, broiled salmon, and some really good cheese that I bought from a store on Beechwood Ave called Jacobsons. Made some mimosa's with some prosecco. mmmmm

Cheese Wall – Jacobsons Gourmet Concepts

Chateau de Bourgogne and Monte Enebro are really good cheeses.

Last edited:

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Anyone try Shakshuka?

Just before the lock down I had people over for brunch and made it along with cornflake crusted french toast, roasted potatoes, asparagus, broiled salmon, and some really good cheese that I bought from a store on Beechwood Ave called Jacobsons. Made some mimosa's with some prosecco. mmmmm

Wow! Corn flake encrusted French toast. That sound amazing.

What type of bread do you use for French toast? Over the years I tried quite a few. Recently I am more of a fan of brioche loaf for the French toast. Though still one of the easiest and tastiest is baguette, sliced on an angle, though any way works. Served with a few sliced bananas, and sliced strawberries. All drenched in maple syrup.

Reactions: Cosmix

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Anyone try Shakshuka?

I made Shakshuka for the first time last week. It was pretty good and really easy to make.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Anyone try Shakshuka?

I make shakshuka all the time (if I’m really up early I’ll bake challah with it). I have my own recipe based on my time living in Tel Aviv. Very special dish for me.

Last time I made it with sous vide poached eggs (rather than poaching the eggs in the sauce itself). The texture of the eggs was bonkers.

Also, I recently bought a butane torch and a Searzall attachment. Haven’t used it yet but I can’t wait to crust up some sous vide steaks.

edit: you sound like quite the cook by the way. That brunch menu is incredible.

Reactions: Stylizer1

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Fauna has an incredible burger right now for 20 bucks. Best ever. Cooked Medium, basically an aged rib eye made into patties.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Wow! Corn flake encrusted French toast. That sound amazing.

What type of bread do you use for French toast? Over the years I tried quite a few. Recently I am more of a fan of brioche loaf for the French toast. Though still one of the easiest and tastiest is baguette, sliced on an angle, though any way works. Served with a few sliced bananas, and sliced strawberries. All drenched in maple syrup.
Because I had about 12 people over I used a baguette cut on a bias as to not take up too much space on the plate or fill people up on it. The crunch from the cornflakes make sit next level.

Reactions: variable26

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I make shakshuka all the time (if I’m really up early I’ll bake challah with it). I have my own recipe based on my time living in Tel Aviv. Very special dish for me.

Last time I made it with sous vide poached eggs (rather than poaching the eggs in the sauce itself). The texture of the eggs was bonkers.

Also, I recently bought a butane torch and a Searzall attachment. Haven’t used it yet but I can’t wait to crust up some sous vide steaks.

edit: you sound like quite the cook by the way. That brunch menu is incredible.
I had it years ago while in Paris and was trying to think of what to make for my brunch and it just popped into my head. I made it in a Paella pan and used Cento San Marzano tomatoes. Bought some jalapeno cheddar bread from Art Is In Bakery sliced into wedges to dip in the egg yolk.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fauna has an incredible burger right now for 20 bucks. Best ever. Cooked Medium, basically an aged rib eye made into patties.
80 Day Dry Aged Burger sounds funky. will try it when down in that area. Used to love going to Hintonburger then they moved, and moved, then closed. I just lost track of them.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I added some chorizo to the peppers and onions to help add fragrance and spice. Added some smoked paprika too.
Smoked paprika was in the recipe I used already, but the chorizo would be a good add on if I'm not going for vegetarian dish,

I skipped on the cayenne (I think, it was that or red pepper flakes) because my kids don't like spicy. There was only a very small amount in the recipe mind you.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Smoked paprika was in the recipe I used already, but the chorizo would be a good add on if I'm not going for vegetarian dish,

I skipped on the cayenne (I think, it was that or red pepper flakes) because my kids don't like spicy. There was only a very small amount in the recipe mind you.
Chorizo gives enough heat that it dances on the tongue but doesn't linger.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Try merguez one time. Incredible.
Love em. Used to buy them from a Hungarian butcher in the market for years until they sold the biz. I loved slicing them into rounds, frying them and adding them to pasta sauce. There like mini lamb meatballs with loads of flavour.

Another hack, buying keftka and using that to make chili. Friggin great stuff.

Mingus Dew

Microphone Assassin
Oct 7, 2013
Love em. Used to buy them from a Hungarian butcher in the market for years until they sold the biz. I loved slicing them into rounds, frying them and adding them to pasta sauce. There like mini lamb meatballs with loads of flavour.

Another hack, buying keftka and using that to make chili. Friggin great stuff.

So good.

Shakshuka with merguez and feta is straight fire. Some fresh italian parsley on top. Drool.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
Fauna, they had three items on the menu, 2 were 3 course meals and a burger/fries
Most of the places I went to before the lockdown are open now. I still wouldn't go to a sit down place or a patio though. Would rather people come over for a BBQ or brunch instead. I only really went out to restaurants on the rare occasion anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->