Confirmed with Link: The Florida Panthers new AHL home will be in Charlotte

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
“We’re going to have to populate Charlotte with prospects and develop them,’’ Zito said.
“I have to sink my teeth into that one, work with the people here. I have to throughly assess it and see where they were. We have to get the draft right, gets picks and prospects in there. Then we’ll move forward and put a solid development model in there which will yield future NHL players down the road.”

Please Z, get it done! At least a consistent playoff team.
Will be watching a ton of their games to keep tabs on these mofos.

Reactions: letsgrowcactus

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
I wonder why we haven't announced it; is there some sort of financial transfer that we might be waiting to give depending on if the season happens?

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I wonder why we haven't announced it; is there some sort of financial transfer that we might be waiting to give depending on if the season happens?
Maybe it has to go through the AHL board of governors, they usually have a meeting during the summer, but have they held it now with COVID-19? :dunno:

I'm interested what they do with the team colours and logo, the current one is basically the same Canes use with the Checkers logo.

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Maybe it has to go through the AHL board of governors, they usually have a meeting during the summer, but have they held it now with COVID-19? :dunno:

I'm interested what they do with the team colours and logo, the current one is basically the same Canes use with the Checkers logo.

That was also my thought, Checkers was for a real long time the AHL Team of Carolina. And the Logo is made for them.
I guess they will create a new Logo maybe also a new Team name.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
That was also my thought, Checkers was for a real long time the AHL Team of Carolina. And the Logo is made for them.
I guess they will create a new Logo maybe also a new Team name.
The ECHL team was never affiliated with the Hurricanes: Charlotte Checkers Home Uniform - ECHL (ECHL) - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

I think these uniforms pair well with the current Panthers tbh. They could maybe pair the colors to Florida's Red and Blue and it would look great.

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019

Makes sense, just surprised no statements. I think the Wolves announced a statement before the AHL approved?

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
The ECHL team was never affiliated with the Hurricanes: Charlotte Checkers Home Uniform - ECHL (ECHL) - Chris Creamer's Sports Logos Page - SportsLogos.Net

I think these uniforms pair well with the current Panthers tbh. They could maybe pair the colors to Florida's Red and Blue and it would look great.

Are we speaking from the same Team?? Even the Merchandise have the Hurrican on it, they played more then 5-6 Season as the Affiliates from Carolina. I followed the AHL now for a while, sometimes more sometimes less, as much my Time allow it.
https://gocheckers.com/team/affiliates
They won also the Calder Cup Trophy in there best Year, that Team is well known as one of the better one in the AHL for a long Time. NO ECHL is allowed to join the AHL, aslong a other team from the AHL get unliked with an NHL Team. As special with the Same name, as an AHL Team.

Last edited:

violaswallet

Apr 8, 2019
Are we speaking from the same Team?? Even the Merchandise have the Hurrican on it, they played more then 5-6 Season as the Affiliates from Carolina. I followed the AHL now for a while, sometimes more sometimes less, as much my Time allow it.
https://gocheckers.com/team/affiliates
They won also the Calder Cup Trophy in there best Year, that Team is well known as one of the better one in the AHL for a long Time. NO ECHL is allowed to join the AHL, aslong a other team from the AHL get unliked with an NHL Team. As special with the Same name, as an AHL Team.

The Charlotte Checkers AHL team replaced an ECHL team of the same name in 2010. The AHL team had the same logo as the ECHL team, but changed the colors to match the Hurricanes.

The logo I sent was from the ECHL team pre-2010, which was owned by the same owner (Kahn) as the AHL team :)

GermanPanther

Foundation Defense
Dec 21, 2015
Munich, Germany
Will be interisting how this will work out, when i understand it write. That even Carolina or Chicago has to take then the Cleveland Monsters. Who have current no NHL Team.
When we get the Chance on Checkers, so far the Carolina Team is still the official partner of Checkers. Is there a TimeLine when anything had to figured out?
I mean also for the League to plan there Schedule?

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia
Will be interisting how this will work out, when i understand it write. That even Carolina or Chicago has to take then the Cleveland Monsters. Who have current no NHL Team.
When we get the Chance on Checkers, so far the Carolina Team is still the official partner of Checkers. Is there a TimeLine when anything had to figured out?
I mean also for the League to plan there Schedule?

Carolina Hurricanes announced that they partnered with the Chicago Wolves.

SoupyFIN

#OneTerritory
Nov 7, 2011
I think they announced they keeping the colors on twitter
Moving forward, the Checkers will continue to play at Bojangles’ Coliseum with no major changes to the team’s colors, uniforms or branding. The team will now be comprised of players, coaches and hockey staff from the Panthers’ organization, while the Checkers’ front-office staff will not change due to the affiliation.
I would think they'll change the primary colour a bit, because it would just look like a Canes jersey with Panthers shoulder patches, if the affiliation logo is the only difference to 2019-20.

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Hey guys (and gals?), long time Charlotte Checkers fan here. I've been watching the Checkers since their inaugural '93 season which is when my family moved to Charlotte. They were my intro to hockey (mom from NY was a Rangers fan), grew up watching that team, and even though I now live & work in Winston Salem (about 1.25 hrs north) I still go to 5-10 games/year. Obviously as a Hurricanes fan also, the decision to split with the Checkers and affiliate with Chicago has left me very disappointed...it was awesome watching the Canes prospects develop with the Checkers, then make the jump to the NHL and I could watch/cheer for them there. So looks like you guys will become a secondary family/team for me now! Do I cheer for guys to become AHL All-Stars and flop with the Panthers (at least when they play my Canes)? :sarcasm:

I'll gladly take any insight on players/prospects to keep an eye on...who should I be excited about?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Hey guys (and gals?), long time Charlotte Checkers fan here. I've been watching the Checkers since their inaugural '93 season which is when my family moved to Charlotte. They were my intro to hockey (mom from NY was a Rangers fan), grew up watching that team, and even though I now live & work in Winston Salem (about 1.25 hrs north) I still go to 5-10 games/year. Obviously as a Hurricanes fan also, the decision to split with the Checkers and affiliate with Chicago has left me very disappointed...it was awesome watching the Canes prospects develop with the Checkers, then make the jump to the NHL and I could watch/cheer for them there. So looks like you guys will become a secondary family/team for me now! Do I cheer for guys to become AHL All-Stars and flop with the Panthers (at least when they play my Canes)? :sarcasm:

I'll gladly take any insight on players/prospects to keep an eye on...who should I be excited about?

Get used to pain, this may be a raw team full of young rookies, mixed with some older vets. Our AHL has been poop for a while but we are encouraged with how our new GM has been successful in AHL and won the 2016 Cup with the Monsters.

I think you're going to love Ludvig if you like old school type D.
Guy trains in a barn like Rocky, will fight and hit if need be and a pure leader on the ice, wore a C in Portland in WHL. He's a rookie but exploded offensively in his last junior year.

Densienko may start out in AHL so he will supply some serious skills, he plays wing and seems to prefer RW.
Really good skater and playmaker. He's a rookie.

Noel is a giant but coming off a down year. 6'5 and over 200lbs.
Decent wheels for a big man, playmaker but will go to the net for greasy garbage goals. He's a rookie and plays RW.

At C, Luostarinen will likely be a top 6 C and coaches seem to rave about his 2 way play. Offense may be limited but if he plays with high players, should be no problem to see him improve on his rookie season.

Just a couple of the better prospects.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Get used to pain, this may be a raw team full of young rookies, mixed with some older vets. Our AHL has been poop for a while but we are encouraged with how our new GM has been successful in AHL and won the 2016 Cup with the Monsters.

Guy trains in a barn like Rocky, will fight and hit if need be and a pure leader on the ice, wore a C in Portland in WHL. He's a rookie but exploded offensively in his last junior year.

Densienko may start out in AHL so he will supply some serious skills, he plays wing and seems to prefer RW.

Decent wheels for a big man, playmaker but will go to the net for greasy garbage goals. He's a rookie and plays RW.

At C, Luostarinen will likely be a top 6 C and coaches seem to rave about his 2 way play. Offense may be limited but if he plays with high players, should be no problem to see him improve on his rookie season.

plus Gildon if he's supposed to start the next season in the AHL.

Reactions: TheImpatientPanther

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015

Definitely familiar with Luos, he played a few games for the Canes early in the season and obviously played a bunch for the Checkers prior to the Troch trade. Do you guys know if Saarela is being re-signed?

TheImpatientPanther

Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Definitely familiar with Luos, he played a few games for the Canes early in the season and obviously played a bunch for the Checkers prior to the Troch trade. Do you guys know if Saarela is being re-signed?

Ya good point. Hopefully he can become a solid shutdown 3C for us.

Saarela has been loaned to Lukko (Liiga) while FLA works on a new deal for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad