The Flames of the Future.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
They're definitely on the downturn. It seems like they only have a few more years of relevancy before they'll need to rebuild, what with the aging offensive core. Sure Hertl is good, but Hertl is one guy.

Couture is another. Pavelski is another. They do have future first-liners. But yeah, once Thornton, Boyle and Marleau are gone, you do have to expect a bit of a transitional period.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
In 3 years, without playing guys above where I think they will be assuming none leave college early.

NHL Team

Baertschi - Monahan - ?????
????? - Backlund - ?????
Agostino - Knight - Colborne (Reinhart, Hanowski & Horak could fit too)
Bouma - Arnold - Elson
Reinhart/Hanowski/Horak

????? - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Sieloff
Breen - Ramage
Kulak

Berra
Brossoit

AHL Team

Gaudreau - Granlund - Poirier
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Jooris
Ferland - DeBlouw - Gordon

Billins - Kulak
Kanzig - Roy
Gilmour - ?????
?????

Gillies
?????

If Poirer, Jooris, Granlund and Ferland are still in Abby 3 years from now, they'll be busts at that point. I highly doubt Poirer spends more than a year in Abby

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If Poirer, Jooris, Granlund and Ferland are still in Abby 3 years from now, they'll be busts at that point. I highly doubt Poirer spends more than a year in Abby

Not necessarily true of Poirier. He'd be 21, right? Cody Hodgson was just 21 when he became a regular in Vancouver, as far as I can remember.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
That would be pretty sick if our future defense turned out to be the following.

??? - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Sieloff
Kanzig -Roy
Ramage

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Are you serious? Sometimes the things you say make me really scratch my head.

In 3 years Poirer could be in the 2nd year of his ELC and if he is the top winger on the farm club he would be a bust? :help:

Jooris is an undrafted 1st year pro, him him playing pro hockey alone makes him being called a bust ridiculous. I personally don't see Jooris as more than an AHL/NHL tweener. He is not talented enough to be a top 6 forward in the NHL and I don't know if his tenacity will be enough to make him an effective bottom 6 NHLer.

Granlund and Ferland in 3 years would be 4th year pros, hardly a bust still being in the AHL. Ferland especially is a project. I am sure you think of guys like Tomas Tatar as busts too right? Because Tatar who is still considered a top prospect in the Wings organization just spent the past 4 years in Grand Rapids.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
I'll just do next year, because some of these wholly prospects teams look terrible. Too hard to predict as well:

Glencross - Backlund - Gaudreau
Baertschi - Monahan - Hudler
Galiardi - Knight - Jones
Bouma - Colborne - Reinhart

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Wotherspoon
Russell - Sieloff

Ramo
Berra

Guys like Horak, Hanowski, Agostino, Arnold, Ferland, Granlund, Cundari, Breen all have chances of making it as well.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
I'll just do next year, because some of these wholly prospects teams look terrible. Too hard to predict as well:

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Wotherspoon
Russell - Sieloff

Ramo
Berra

Guys like Horak, Hanowski, Agostino, Arnold, Ferland, Granlund, Cundari, Breen all have chances of making it as well.

I wouldn't cut Grats out of the lineup. He must have somthing to do with our team having confidence that no one will mess with them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Wotherspoon
Russell - Sieloff

Ramo
Berra

Gaudreau on the top line 1st year out of college playing against big NHL top pairing defensemen?

Are you trying to get him killed?

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC

Giordano - Brodie
Wideman - Wotherspoon
Russell - Sieloff

Ramo
Berra

Kinda crazy how different we see things just as close as next year

Sven - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Galiardi - Colborne - Poirier
Bouma - Knight/Street/Jooris - McGrattan
Nemisz

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Sieloff
Russell - Butler
Breen

Ramo
Berra

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Next year:

Bouma - Colborne - Ferland
(tough guy) - Knight - McGrattan

Wideman - Giordano
Brodie - Russell
Wotherspoon - O'Brien

Ramo
Berra

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Next year:

Bouma - Colborne - Ferland
(tough guy) - Knight - McGrattan

Wideman - Giordano
Brodie - Russell
Wotherspoon - O'Brien

Ramo
Berra

Would rather find a better 6th damn than having O'Brien on the team.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
Still no Seilof next year in your projected lineups? Kid almost made it this year, and would have it if it weren't for Bulter improving his play, and his injury. I say he is a lock next year

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Still no Seilof next year in your projected lineups? Kid almost made it this year, and would have it if it weren't for Bulter improving his play, and his injury. I say he is a lock next year

After the World Juniors this year, the general opinion should change on Sieloff. Personally there is nothing I like more than a solid d-man with a nasty streak.

herashak

Mar 24, 2013
I think wotherspoon is quite a bit better than sieloff. id also put breen above sieloff for next year.

superhakan

Gaudreauby Baker
Dec 2, 2008
Gaudreau on the top line 1st year out of college playing against big NHL top pairing defensemen?

Are you trying to get him killed?

That line is as much as any of our lines this year is the "first line".

I see that as the ideal spot for him. He'll get to play with some size and talent in Backlund and Glencross. Gaudreau is already accustom to playing against players that are bigger/stronger than him. He aint getting any bigger, so he should be given a chance to hack it against NHL defenseman. If he is not ready he can be sent down, but i expect him to destroy college (60+ points), get a cup of coffee at the end of the season, and start next season in an offensive role with the flames.

Kinda crazy how different we see things just as close as next year

Sven - Monahan - Hudler
Galiardi - Colborne - Poirier
Bouma - Knight/Street/Jooris - McGrattan
Nemisz

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Sieloff
Russell - Butler
Breen

Ramo
Berra

The Flames have so many players fighting for roles next year, it makes it difficult to truly assess who is gonna be on the team.

For example, I have Colborne on the 4th line because of Burkes comments about molding him into a Steckel type player. I could just as easily see him as a 3rd line C or entirely off the team.

Poirier would start the season in the AHL (im pretty sure he would be old enough...), And as I mentioned Knight, Horak, Jooris, Granlund, Reinhart, Nemisz, Ferland, and Hanowski are all possibly interchangeable in the lineup. Who ever works hardest/plays the best gets the job.

As far as defense goes, I would prefer Wideman to be paired with another puck mover. He seems to work better playing with a guy that has some offensive instincts and that is something I dont believe Sieloff has much of. Wotherspoon is a smart two way guy who would be a perfect partner for him. Russell and Sieloff make a nice pair as they compensate for each others weaknesses.

Once again, Cundari, Breen, Butler, O'brien, etc... could all get an opportunity to draw in.

This all ignores what happens in the draft/free-agency but my lineup is my best guess.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Are you serious? Sometimes the things you say make me really scratch my head.

In 3 years Poirer could be in the 2nd year of his ELC and if he is the top winger on the farm club he would be a bust? :help:

Jooris is an undrafted 1st year pro, him him playing pro hockey alone makes him being called a bust ridiculous. I personally don't see Jooris as more than an AHL/NHL tweener. He is not talented enough to be a top 6 forward in the NHL and I don't know if his tenacity will be enough to make him an effective bottom 6 NHLer.

Granlund and Ferland in 3 years would be 4th year pros, hardly a bust still being in the AHL. Ferland especially is a project. I am sure you think of guys like Tomas Tatar as busts too right? Because Tatar who is still considered a top prospect in the Wings organization just spent the past 4 years in Grand Rapids.
Who would've guessed you knew everything?

IMO, if Poirer isn't in the NHL in 3 years, he's taken a big drop in his progression.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Who would've guessed you knew everything?

IMO, if Poirer isn't in the NHL in 3 years, he's taken a big drop in his progression.
and this is why prospects get **** all over after they have a down year, because if they aren't in the NHL in 3 years they aren't worth ****.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
So if Poirer doesnt make the Flames as a 21 year old, he's a bust?

:help:

I think he's really close now to the NHL. So if he's not cutting the mustard 3 years from now, then he's plateaued right now or has gotten worse. Given what I've seen in the preseason, he's 1-2 years away. If it takes 3 years then something wrong has happened in his development curve.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad