The Flames of the Future.

Thumper17

Jun 27, 2011
What do you see our team looking like when our current crop of prospects fully grow into the big league?

Baertschi - Monahan - Backlund
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Bouma
Agostino - Reinhart - Poirier
Goon - Plug - Goon

Giordano - Brodie
Sieloff - Wotherspoon
O'Brien - Russel
Breen

Ramo/Berra
Gillies/Brossoit

This is how I see it shaking out, assuming no big trades. You guys?

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
Oh god, who knows. So many questions marks, but here goes.

Baertschi - Monahan - ????
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Poirier
Klimchuk - Granlund - Bouma
Hanowski - Arnold - Ferland

Wotherspoon - Brodie
Sieloff - Kulak
Kanzig - Breen

Berra
Gillies

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
Baertschi - Jankowski - Gaudreau
Klimchuk - Monahan - Poirier
Granlund - Reinhart - Agostino
Bouma - Arnold - Ferland

Giordano - Wideman
Brodie - Wotherspoon
Sieloff - Kanzig

Brossoit/Gillies tandem

Last edited:

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
This is all assuming that none of our veteran forwards stick around, and all walk during free agency. And that we don't draft another impactful player.

IOW, we have too many guys. We're probably gonna see some 2 for 1 upgrades, and the real team will be much different than we can expect. Probably better than any list we can currently make.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Also how far are projecting? Because Gio and GlenX are most likely here for a long time, I also think Hudler and Wideman will be here for a while.

GetThePuckOut

Mar 8, 2010
Calgary
Also how far are projecting? Because Gio and GlenX are most likely here for a long time, I also think Hudler and Wideman will be here for a while.

Not to mention, Calgary has been able to attract free agents in our worst days. Now that we're showingpromise we should see more quality guys willing to come over.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
I think we'll have another big draft year (with multiple picks), another look at college free agents, and possible look at NHL free agents going into a great 2014/15 training camp. By then we should have the building blocks to plug the holes we have at centre, at depth defense, and in goal over the course of the next 5 years.

Its clear to me that Bart and Mono will be top line guys, and Poirer looks (to me) like he'll be joining them. Russell looks like he'll establish himself as a top 4 defensemen, and I believe Wotherspoon, Seiloff, and Ramage have that potential as well.

Best case scenario:
Flames built a roster that can consistency contending for the playoffs 3 years from now using a lot of the prospects and veterans we have in the system right now, only waiting for some high end prospects to become elite

Worst case scenario:
Goaltending doesn't pan out, defensive development takes longer than expected and forwards don't reach their maximum potential, and we won't have that roster for 5 years.

A lot is riding on Abbortsford this year and how well they do, as well as the college guys. The Flames can bottom out and these things wouldn't change my mind. But if the guys in Abby go deep in the playoffs, while the NCAA kids put up good numbers, we'll know if our cupboards are stocked with legit guys.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
For next season I will say

Sven - Monahan - Hudler
Glencross - Backlund - Jones
Galiardi - Colborne - Poirier
Bouma - Knight/Street/Jooris - McGrattan
Nemisz

Gio - Brodie
Wideman - Sieloff
Russell - Butler
Breen

Ramo
Berra

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
Russell and Butler doesn't look any more appealing than SOB - Butler. :help: Really need to get a better bottom pairing. Too bad Hal Gill isn't five years younger.

Russell is a huge upgrade over SOB for the sole fact that he can clear the zone and skate more effectively. I would like to replace both Butler and SOB but I don't think we will and this is about what we expect the team to be not what we want.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Russell is a huge upgrade over SOB for the sole fact that he can clear the zone and skate more effectively. I would like to replace both Butler and SOB but I don't think we will and this is about what we expect the team to be not what we want.

I think putting Russell there would turn Butler right away into a more effective D-man. Half of Butler's "giveaways" right now are a result of O'Brien not being where he needs to be. It would also allow Butler to simplify his game if he didn't need to be the guy on the pairing responsible for the breakout.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I think putting Russell there would turn Butler right away into a more effective D-man. Half of Butler's "giveaways" right now are a result of O'Brien not being where he needs to be. It would also allow Butler to simplify his game if he didn't need to be the guy on the pairing responsible for the breakout.

I agree Russell would help Butler much more than SOB does.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
What do you see our team looking like when our current crop of prospects fully grow into the big league?
This is my guess ~5 years down the road based on what there is today.

Baertschi - Monahan - ???
Gaudreau - Jankowski - Backlund
Colborne - Reinhart - Poirier
Bouma - Arnold - Knight
Hanowski, Ferland

Brodie - ???
Giordano - Sieloff
Breen - Wotherspoon
Russel

Ramo
Gillies

Last edited:

I Hate Blake Coleman

Bandwagon Burner
Jul 22, 2008
Saskatchewan
Don't want to rain on the parade, but I think you guys are being a little too optimistic if you project the entire Flames team to be all draftees five years down the road. Maybe Gaudreau, Porrier, Sieloff, and Breen become regulars but I just can't see that many of our prospects being NHL regulars.

SickHandsNoShot

May 7, 2012
I agree Russell would help Butler much more than SOB does.

Ive been thinking the same thing. My hope is that one of Wotherspoon or Sieloff, heck even Breen can pull a Brodie and fight their way onto the roster. One of those I would love to play with Wideman.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
In 3 years, without playing guys above where I think they will be assuming none leave college early.

NHL Team

Baertschi - Monahan - ?????
????? - Backlund - ?????
Agostino - Knight - Colborne (Reinhart, Hanowski & Horak could fit too)
Bouma - Arnold - Elson
Reinhart/Hanowski/Horak

????? - Brodie
Wotherspoon - Sieloff
Breen - Ramage
Kulak

Berra
Brossoit

AHL Team

Gaudreau - Granlund - Poirier
Klimchuk - Jankowski - Jooris
Ferland - DeBlouw - Gordon

Billins - Kulak
Kanzig - Roy
Gilmour - ?????
?????

Gillies
?????

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
What do you guys think about Reinhart + Agostino + Granlund to San Jose for Mirco Mueller? Or, if we can, drop Reinhart and just send Agostino + Granlund for Mueller?

Last edited:

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
What do you guys think about Reinhart + Agostino + Granlund to San Jose for Mirco Mueller? Or, if we can, drop Reinhart and just send Agostino + Granlund for Mueller?

The premise of the deal seems to be quantity to the Sharks and quality to the Flames. As a perennial contender, it would seem that they'd want to be doing things the other way around, if anything. I have no idea why they'd do this.

MonahanTheMan

Pray for Flames
Jul 10, 2013
Bellingham, WA
The premise of the deal seems to be quantity to the Sharks and quality to the Flames. As a perennial contender, it would seem that they'd want to be doing things the other way around, if anything. I have no idea why they'd do this.

They're definitely on the downturn. It seems like they only have a few more years of relevancy before they'll need to rebuild, what with the aging offensive core. Sure Hertl is good, but Hertl is one guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad