The Flames of the Future.

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
and this is why prospects get **** all over after they have a down year, because if they aren't in the NHL in 3 years they aren't worth ****.

Alright, calm down and find your undies.

A down year is huge, absolutely detrimental to the likelihood of a prospect panning out. Some apologists are forever waiting on prospects to pan out because "you never know". Hell, there are still people who think Nemisz is going to make a 3rd line winger. But the reality is so few make it to the big time and there's not a lot of forgiveness for errors or mistakes in a developing career.

Don't get it twisted, I think very highly of Poirer. I thought he was better than Monahan. He was faster, throwing his body more and generating his own chances. Monahan is a smarter and bigger player no question, but id argue Poirer is (or will be) a more skilled player.

Poirer is size and probably conditioning away from being in the NHL. Like I said, if its taking a long time, he's not taking even the easiest steps or he's taking steps back.

Last edited:

MarkGio

Nov 6, 2010
Good thing that's just your opinion. :facepalm::shakehead:help:

I would be willing to bet that for every year after a draftee doesn't make the NHL, their chances of ever making it get exponentially harder. That's just the business of hockey. I'm sure if you count all the 21 year old versus 22 year old and then count the 23 year olds who are entering the league on a permanent basis, those numbers would get significantly smaller as they get older. But I dunno, that might just be my opinion...

Kylington

Slim Shady
Jan 17, 2013
Get rid of goons, it's pathetic, look at Sabres, certainly working out for them... Detroit haven't had a goon in decades. Get some decent grinders that's just hard working and tough to play against.

QcFlames12

Feb 1, 2012
My Ideal Lineup:

Bartschi-Monahan-Top Pick in 2014
Gaudreau-Jankowski-Poirier
Klimchuk-Reinhart-?
Bouma-Colborne-Knight

T.J Brodie-?
Wotherspoon-?
Seiloff-Ramage
Kanzig

Gilles-Brossiot

Still lots of Holes in our depth charts!

Aug 3, 2010
Get rid of goons, it's pathetic, look at Sabres, certainly working out for them... Detroit haven't had a goon in decades. Get some decent grinders that's just hard working and tough to play against.

Depends on what you mean by goon. If you mean a Brian McGrattan, then it's true they don't utilize that sort of player in their system.
But I would venture that Todd Bertuzzi and Darren McCarty among others have played the role of the tough guy on those Detroit teams. But the key word is "team" and "system" as well - the Flames historically are not a "soft" team or a "puck-possession" team and their identity doesn't lend itself to it.

Teams pick up players that fit their system. I'm not saying the Flames couldn't change their style of play, but that kind of culture is usually ingrained very deeply in a locker room and the front office/management identify the team that way as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad