GDT: The First of July | The White Whale Has Been Hooked (Phil to the Pens)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AR5

Mar 7, 2014

Also, regarding Oshie, doesn't matter that he's a RW, Pens are still looking at him, as per OC.

BobCole

May 21, 2014
We're all going to be super impressed with Kessel's playmaking abilities. People always refer to him as a sniper, but the guy is an excellent passer.

Also, the fact that he has some serious wheels is gonna be a blessing.

This is all true.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
We shouldn't ever forgive or forget the Despres debacle, but the Kessel trade has been abso-****ing-lutely phenomenal. No Maatta or DP lost, Toronto retains salary, we get rid of Spaling's cap hit (who wasn't bad, just not worth $2M+) and get a 2nd back--AND they paid for his bonus.

Honestly, if we do nothing else besides trim the rest of the fat and get a decent return for Sutter, I'm ****ing ecstatic. That's as good as a summer as I could've hoped for.

penguins2946*

Brain fart, i thought oshie was a LW for a sec

Nah he's solely a RWer. I'd like to see a gritty LWer for Malkin and Kessel (or Crosby and Kessel, whichever one he plays with) to be the puck retriever.

He's done a shockingly good job, the deadline was bad, but his off seasons for us have been great. Adding Hornqvist and Kessel in one year? Fantastic work fixing the winger issues.

Also Perron, it's been amazing that he has been able to do in 1 year what Shero wasn't able to do in his entire time here.

Cherpak

Jan 1, 2014
Wonder if there's any chance we could work out a Sutter/Skinner trade with the Canes? Obviously, we'd have to add. But ...

Skinner - Crosby - Horny
Perron - Geno - Kessel

Ah, man ...

And then after all that hard work DP/OM will be gone anyways. No thanks.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
We're all going to be super impressed with Kessel's playmaking abilities. People always refer to him as a sniper, but the guy is an excellent passer.

Also, the fact that he has some serious wheels is gonna be a blessing.

He is a slick playmaker. People will be pretty shocked.

The only real knock I have about Kessel is his play on the boards can improve, but he's a monster there compared to say, Neal.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
He's done a shockingly good job, the deadline was bad, but his off seasons for us have been great. Adding Hornqvist and Kessel in one year? Fantastic work fixing the winger issues.

Yeah, it's like he can be let loose in the off season but he needs to be watched like a hawk during the season, or whoever the leader of the stupid decisions is needs to be ignored during the season.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I'd love us to deal with St Louis. They have quite a few players I'd like to bring in here.

And perhaps they don't see some of the guys we'd send there as we do. :naughty:

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
How do the pieces fit?
Kunitz-Crosby-Kessel
Perron-Malkin-Hornqvist

OR

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Kunitz-Malkin-Kessel

If you can get rid of Kunitz and bring in Joel Ward, I like our balance better. Or, Kunitz can play third wheel with whichever center and Kessel, and find someone else with speed.

Honestly, I think Dupuis is a better fit there than Kunitz. Kunitz doesn't have the speed to actually get in on the forecheck before they move the puck out.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
Kunitz has a very limited chance of being on the roster this fall. I think they'll find some way to get him out of town

That would be nice, but I'd say there's very limited chance that he's not on the roster on opening night.

BrunoPuntzJones

Biscuit Scorer
Apr 17, 2012
Washington, DC
I agree, which is why I felt a lot of the criticism he received wasn't deserved. I also fall under the belief that he wasn't the catalyst of the Despres deal.

When people call him one of the worst GMs in the NHL based on his Whalers/Hurricanes tenure, I don't think they're getting it. Karmanos was the problem there. The fact that Rutherford was able to build a team that went to two Cup finals and one win there is semi-miraculous.

Apr 9, 2009
USA
Holy ****, if they get Oshie, too.... our forward group would be the best in the league.

Still worried about the defense. We need a rock-solid defender back there not named Maatta. Scuderi has to go.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
He is a slick playmaker. People will be pretty shocked.

The only real knock I have about Kessel is his play on the boards can improve, but he's a monster there compared to say, Neal.

What he's going to do with that extra second Sid/Geno give guys. :amazed:

NatureBoy

Mar 28, 2013
Austria
At least one bigger contract will have to go. Ideally, it would be Sutter. I don´t see Scuderi going anywhere, because they surely want at least one more veteran alongside the young guys. Dumoulin and Pouliot should be locks now. But whats unbevlievable, none of the highly touted prospects on D remain now.

SeventyOne

"71" & "Kuhnhackl"
Mar 30, 2009
Wheeling, WV
For you talking about trading Sutter and not having a replacement, what about Mike Santorelli? I don't know just throwing it out there or Shawn Matthias.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Now is time to trim the fat. Only guy who has an inflated salary that I'd keep around is Dupuis. Kunitz, Sutter, and Scuderi need to be traded.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Just saw. Huge.

Okay...guess I'll go back on my previous statements and eat crow. Costed us much less than I expected. I didn't think he'd go that cheap. So...there you have it. I was wrong.

Ron, took you off ignore.

Missed out on Tikhonov though :( Sucks but there was a lot of talk about him and Panarin being a "package" deal too so...with Saad gone that's a good opportunity for him.

Sekera 6 x 5.5mil...dang...I would have paid that for him :(

Bu-bye Martin, Downie, and Comeau. And thankfully, good bye Spaling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad