Speculation: The firm organization of San Jose wants Carlyle now. What does that tell about us?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
I wonder if Leafs were to hire McLellan and SJ hires Carlyle, what happens then? I guess no picks would be exchanged...
This would just make both of these teams so much better and stronger. The sharks of course would be even better, but the leafs would get something going too. MCLellan's biggest problem is that he can't motivate people AT ALL. Not at all. That would not be good on toronto. Kessel and phaneuf and bozak and gardiner would just be running all over the place. Not all players respect the koala (McLellan). McLellan knows hockey and the game through out, but he is not a motivator. Carlyle is a better coach and bitter coach. That's better.

Preisst*

Jun 11, 2008
Western Canada
I wonder if Leafs were to hire McLellan and SJ hires Carlyle, what happens then? I guess no picks would be exchanged...

The Leafs fired Carlyle and are still paying his contract. The Sharks and McLellan mutually agreed to part ways, though I don't know off hand if his contract had expired, I think it may have but can't say for sure.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The whole idea of a picks as comoensation for simply giving another person a job is so stupid

of course it is. that's why I think you won't see it enforced but for a few organizations (Detroit).. l like I don't get the point of this stupid rule at all other than Ken Holland got his way due to the fact that he lost people boohoo. everyone does.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
this is in reference to what?

seriously did we need to see a few more seasons under Carlyle before we could decide whether things were working?

No. Carlyle wasn't a right fit. Shouldn't have come in as coach this season. But to say Horachek has them playing the 'right way' is hilarious. The right way does not yield such results. Hockey is not that cut and dry. Corsi (as this year has clearly shown, ie Calgary) is such a small piece of the pie. Yet people continue to hold in in higher regards than actual performance stats

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The whole idea of a picks as comoensation for simply giving another person a job is so stupid

It is stupid. If somebody hires Carlyle this off-season why should that team owe the Leafs any compensation? The Leafs fired Carlyle, and he no longer works for the Leafs in any capacity. There shouldn't be any compensation. I highly doubt there will be.

sda

Feb 18, 2008
I would love the Sharks to get Carlyle. Who's excited for Tomas Hertl on the third line?

Hertl could be on the 3rd line but on what team. Carlyle hates eastern euros and does mot want them on his teams

Guy Boucher

Oct 22, 2008
The whole idea of a picks as compensation for simply giving another person a job is so stupid

Paying compensation for hiring someone is stupid. Paying compensation for hiring someone who was already fired is a whole different level of stupidity.

Sometimes it feels like the NHL is addicted to enacting ridiculously stupid rules.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Paying compensation for hiring someone is stupid. Paying compensation for hiring someone who was already fired is a whole different level of stupidity.

Sometimes it feels like the NHL is addicted to enacting ridiculously stupid rules.

Great way to tank. The Leafs should hire everyone they can that doesn't need compensation. Immediately fire them and wait for the draft picks to start rolling in. :hockey:

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
if that's what you want to believe, than fine. because it is very obvious, that's what you want to plant your flag on and you and you are not even going to consider anything else, but what you want to believe in, which makes it very difficult to continue having a discussion. I showed you why, and how that is not the case, Durr explained why and how that's not the case, so quite frankly, i'm done.

in answer to this question. if the Sharks want Carlyle, good. but I don't think we'll get a pick (because I really think most teams aren't going to push for it because it's a stupid rule to begin with.

Again, last time, LA scored only 220 goals last year in regulation time, the shootout had nothing to do with this low total. Not sure how or why this is continually being ignored. This is the reason why they missed the playoffs. Now I am done. Moving on.

Last edited:

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
No. Carlyle wasn't a right fit. Shouldn't have come in as coach this season. But to say Horachek has them playing the 'right way' is hilarious. The right way does not yield such results. Hockey is not that cut and dry. Corsi (as this year has clearly shown, ie Calgary) is such a small piece of the pie. Yet people continue to hold in in higher regards than actual performance stats

or, this is a bad team that won't succeed whether they "play the right way" or not. and it made sense to hire a coach that asked them to play something that resembled a system as part of an evaluation period that left no doubt in the end that it was time to blow the whole thing up.

it's not like their possession numbers were much better under Horacheck

leafs in five

Feb 4, 2007
engelland
Again, last time, LA scored only 220 goals last year in regulation time, the shootout had nothing to do with this low total. Not sure how or why this is continually being ignored. This is the reason why they missed the playoffs. Now I am done. Moving on.

they only allowed 197. of course you've never argued that defense wins cups or anything like that.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
or, this is a bad team that won't succeed whether they "play the right way" or not. and it made sense to hire a coach that asked them to play something that resembled a system as part of an evaluation period that left no doubt in the end that it was time to blow the whole thing up.

it's not like their possession numbers were much better under Horacheck
Yeah man, nothing was better with Horachek. He checked us out all the way.

Horachek will never coach in the NHL anymore. Carlyle though will, he'll get it going soon enough again. In San Jose, they'll be in the playoffs playing against carly's former club Anaheim. I'm sure a wise organization like san jose (10 straight playoff runs) will learn more with Carly. They recognize real and get some. Interesting to see if Carlyle will prevail and lift that thing up with the san jose sharks again.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
Carlyle is a good coach who had this team playing well above themselves for most of the time he was here. That's is all a coach can do really.

Durkin67

Horachek's system simply shed light on what Carlyle realised all along: this team isn't built to compete honestly. Carlyle had to let Kessel and co. cheat on defense because thats the only way they could score.

Horachek refused to allow them to cheat, and the offence dried up.

the irony is, when they did play a strong 2 way game with a heavy forecheck, they either won, or they lost by one goal.

You've got three coaches with three different systems in Wilson, Carlyle and Horachek, and NOTHING worked consistently, because the team did nothing with any consistency.

Verdict: The players are at fault, and it's not even up for debate. Not intelligent debate, anyway.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I think they made the compensation too high. 5th or 4th round picks should have been involved in that, not 2nd and 3rd round picks.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
wait, the sharks?
Yes sir. Only a few teams can do that. Detroit 24 in a roll, they are dominating and being the number one team in the league. Sharks were the second best sir. They done did it 10 times in a roll, in the playoffs. It's very difficult in show business. But only wise organizations prevail and succeed. Sharks are very intelligent. We proceed.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
So do we get draft picks if they hire Carlyle? And what round?

if the Sharks hire Carlyle, and if the Leafs ask for compensation, it should be a third round pick. (i don't get how the fired people work into this stupid compensation business)

but that's if the team asks of one.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad