Speculation: The firm organization of San Jose wants Carlyle now. What does that tell about us?

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
The San Jose Sharks as everybody know were the club that was the second best in getting into the playoffs every year, right after the legendary detroit red wings. Wings have been doing it like 24 times in a roll. (That is a record in any league in sports). But yeah, Sharks have been very, very good too. They always get into the playoffs. With Todd McLellan, Sutter etc they have had great teams and always in the playoffs. The Maple Leafs get rid of Carlyle this season and fired him. After that our team fell and failed miserably. Carlyle got the leafs into the playoffs the first time in TEN years. That was a fantastic season and accomplishment.

Sharks now, after seven years with mclellan got rid of him. His gone now. Now the Sharks really want Randy Carlyle. They recognize a tough winner when they see one. Carlyle of course won the Stanley Cup with the Anaheim Ducks. Sharks recognize real. They want the Best. What does that tell about us?

Wonder who will shanahan etc want for us, for Toronto. Sharks want Carly. I wonder wich type of a leader our legendary organization wants. Since we didn't want to play games with the legendary Randy Carlyle.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Firm? The organization is kinda in shambles right now.

No one can say Carlyle isn't a good coach. He's won a Stanley Cup. He put together one of the best 3rd lines since 2000 that organizations have been trying to emulate.

However, he wasn't a good coach in Toronto, nor was he the right coach for Toronto. When you have a team like ours, where the forward core of the team refuses to play any sort of system, it's hard for a coach.

It was hard for Wilson, hard for Carlyle, and hard for Horachek

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Also, they only asked to interview them.

Hardly means they want him, or "really want him".

They are simply interviewing the candidates. He'll likely be interviewed for every opening.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
the Edmonton Oilers hired Peter Chiarelli, what does that say about Boston?

nothing, other than Edmonton now how has Boston's former GM.

Bluejaysfan*

After a while you have to stop blaming the coaches and put onus on the players.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014

No one can say Carlyle isn't a good coach. He's won a Stanley Cup. He put together one of the best 3rd lines since 2000 that organizations have been trying to emulate.

However, he wasn't a good coach in Toronto, nor was he the right coach for Toronto. When you have a team like ours, where the forward core of the team refuses to play any sort of system, it's hard for a coach.

San Jose Sharks aren't firm? Detroit Red Wings have gotten into the playoffs 24 times in a roll now. In sports, any sports that's almost impossible.
San Jose Sharks did it 10 times in a roll in the NHL. That was a very firm run. Not many teams can do it. They often had deep playoff runs and they often won division titles etc. They have been one of the most solid NHL teams during these ten years. Right now they are a small mess, but their organization certainly has been firm and tells a lot about their CLASS. They know how to run things. And now they want Randy Carly Carlyle.

You might be right as pointing carlyle not being the right coach for us, but even that's not correct.... He got us into the playoffs and we almost beat the boston bruins. Not any coach has done it during these 11 years. Only Carlyle, therefore he was the right coach for us. He should have played the tough game though even after that playoff run season. Carly did mistakes and we got rid of him. It was the wrong move. With carlyle we had our identity during that playoff season two years ago. We haven't even had our identity during these past years.... it's a horrible horrible thing. We don't know how to run things. The Sharks do.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
the Edmonton Oilers hired Peter Chiarelli, what does that say about Boston?

nothing, other than Edmonton now how has Boston's former GM.

The fact that he was snapped up so quickly suggests that Boston got rid of him because of political reasons rather than for performance based issues.

Last edited:

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
The fact that he was snapped up so quickly suggests that Boston got rid of him because of political reasons rather than for performance based issues.

probably. but i mean my point still stands.

considering the sheer amount of re-treads in the league. it's like saying "Oh look so and so hired Nonis, what does that say about the Leafs?" (though I can't read the original posts, but i am quite certain it is the normal fare of him, so i'm glad I can not).

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Detroit doesn't own the record, I believe Boston made it 29 straight times before. A few others did it more than 24 times in the NHL.

But what exactly has SJ won? They aren't exactly a model organization.

Mystifo

No more Mr.FightGuy
May 26, 2011
YYT

I can think of a few mistakes Chia has made. (Some good moves he has made also.)

As per OP...

SJS hiring Carlyle is fine by me as I would still want him gone from our team. He is not the right coach for us going forward as he is a WIN NOW guy and I would rather a develop for the future type of person. I.E not punishing young guys for making errors all the time.

Also SJS had a in his prime Jumbo Joe, Danny Heatley and Patrick Marleau. All three were super stars in their own right add in a formidable goalie in Nabby and guys like Christan Ehroff and Scott Hannen, yeah you are going to make the playoffs.

Swervin81

Leaf fan | YYZ -> SEA
Nov 10, 2011
Seattle, WA
Carlyle still sucks. The way his Anaheim team trended upwards since his departure confirms that. He was mostly a victim of our forward core not wanting to play 2 way winning hockey.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

Carlyle was not right for Toronto, and his production here proved that the team needed to go in a different direction; not just him but in all facets.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
San Jose Sharks aren't firm? Detroit Red Wings have gotten into the playoffs 24 times in a roll now. In sports, any sports that's almost impossible.
San Jose Sharks did it 10 times in a roll in the NHL. That was a very firm run. Not many teams can do it. They often had deep playoff runs and they often won division titles etc. They have been one of the most solid NHL teams during these ten years. Right now they are a small mess, but their organization certainly has been firm and tells a lot about their CLASS. They know how to run things. And now they want Randy Carly Carlyle.

You might be right as pointing carlyle not being the right coach for us, but even that's not correct.... He got us into the playoffs and we almost beat the boston bruins. Not any coach has done it during these 11 years. Only Carlyle, therefore he was the right coach for us. He should have played the tough game though even after that playoff run season. Carly did mistakes and we got rid of him. It was the wrong move. With carlyle we had our identity during that playoff season two years ago. We haven't even had our identity during these past years.... it's a horrible horrible thing. We don't know how to run things. The Sharks do.

What they did in the past doesn't matter.

getting to the playoffs, isn't really an accomplishment. At least to me it isn't. I'm not proud we made the playoffs in 2013. In fact, doing so, was bad for the team, as it led to the worst week of transactions since Cliff Fletcher's 2nd tenure.

San Jose made the playoffs, but what did they do? They have stripped captaincy from two of their players. Their best player, Joe Thornton, constantly bashes management and even teammates. They missed the playoffs this season, and last season they collapsed harder than the Leafs have ever by blowing a 3-0 series lead. Oh, and their GM is on about as short of a leash as a GM could have.

If that's the definition of a "firm" team to you, than, I mean, I can't really argue it further.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Detroit doesn't own the record, I believe Boston made it 29 straight times before. A few others did it more than 24 times in the NHL.

But what exactly has SJ won? They aren't exactly a model organization.
Boston has the record yeah. But it started in the 60's the run they had. It was a whole different league and world back then. What Detroit has done right now as we speak is unbeleavable. It's almost impossible in todays game of hockey. No team will never ever do this again.

Sharks have been one of the best NHL teams during these 10 years, period. Ask anybody. Before this season they have been dominating in the west. No matter if they haven't won anything. They have been the top team there. Nobody wanted to play against them during these past 10 years. They ran things back there. They have scored so many goals during these past 10 years...it's really amazing. That 10 straight playoff runs is a fantastic evidence of a job being done well in the NHL. And now their firm club wants Randy Carlyle to run things for them. That to me tells so much. They recognize real. They recognize a winner and a real doer.

Wait and see as their team gets into the playoffs immeditaly right back after this nonsense season were watching right now. This season is just so stupid cow kaka.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
What they did in the past doesn't matter.

getting to the playoffs, isn't really an accomplishment. At least to me it isn't. I'm not proud we made the playoffs in 2013. In fact, doing so, was bad for the team, as it led to the worst week of transactions since Cliff Fletcher's 2nd tenure.

San Jose made the playoffs, but what did they do? They have stripped captaincy from two of their players. Their best player, Joe Thornton, constantly bashes management and even teammates. They missed the playoffs this season, and last season they collapsed harder than the Leafs have ever by blowing a 3-0 series lead. Oh, and their GM is on about as short of a leash as a GM could have.

If that's the definition of a "firm" team to you, than, I mean, I can't really argue it further.
Ok, after reading this I recognize that were two are a whole different type of human beings. I won't even continue to push my thing after this, cause were both from the different wood.

Playoff to me are everything. No matter who loses or wins there. Getting in is a huge accomplishent in the NHL. It's very difficult to get in. Sharks always get in. This season they didn't, but they do get in. They run things in the NHL and do what ever they want.

senor martinez

Komarov's cohonez
Oct 1, 2014
Now, the world don't move to the beat of just one drum. What might be right for you, may not be right for some.

Carlyle was not right for Toronto, and his production here proved that the team needed to go in a different direction; not just him but in all facets.
This could be right. BUT, Randy Carlyle was RIGHT for us two years ago. That was the best maple leafs team I've seen in 11 years. That tells a lot. I loved that team. They played real tough and we had our own identity back then. Havent seen that happen like forever in toronto. Carly brought it back with Burke.

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina

Christ, Brett Lebda has a cup ring.

Wilson and Carlyle/Horachek had radically different lineups throughout their tenures. Yeah, our forwards suck/ed. So did our coaches.

I maintain that Carlyle had exactly 0 redeeming qualities as a coach. Guy was a dinosaur that refused to change anything and whose go-to line when asked what was wrong with the team was consistently "I have no idea." I mean, it was kind of funny how much he looked like Bruce Boudreau's and Claude Julien's triplet, so he's got that going for him I guess.

The Beyonder

Jan 16, 2007
This could be right. BUT, Randy Carlyle was RIGHT for us two years ago. That was the best maple leafs team I've seen in 11 years. That tells a lot. I loved that team. They played real tough and we had our own identity back then. Havent seen that happen like forever in toronto. Carly brought it back with Burke.

He did have some good things here, no doubt, but he also had a lot of bad things and those are not only his fault, but he has to take the blame as well. He coached a team the choked in the playoffs, that then played themselves out of a playoff spot, and that continually got out shot and out played. Yes, that's not really only his fault, but obviously results have to be taken seriously and a new direction has to be taken when the old one shows no success. I understand what you are saying; it's not just Randy's fault and I agree. But he has to take some of the blame too. And I'm sure new management will pass the blame to the players and we'll see those changes this off season.

Last edited:

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Christ, Brett Lebda has a cup ring.

Wilson and Carlyle/Horachek had radically different lineups throughout their tenures. Yeah, our forwards suck/ed. So did our coaches.

I maintain that Carlyle had exactly 0 redeeming qualities as a coach. Guy was a dinosaur that refused to change anything and whose go-to line when asked what was wrong with the team was consistently "I have no idea." I mean, it was kind of funny how much he looked like Bruce Boudreau's and Claude Julien's triplet, so he's got that going for him I guess.

And Darren McCarty has 4 rings, what's your point?

Being the head coach is much different from being a 6/7 D.

Oh please, PLEASE use the "Had a great d-pairing" thing. Ya know, cause Carlyle was the only coach to have great players on his team...

King Mapes

Sub to My YouTube Blocks_4_days
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Boston has the record yeah. But it started in the 60's the run they had. It was a whole different league and world back then. What Detroit has done right now as we speak is unbeleavable. It's almost impossible in todays game of hockey. No team will never ever do this again.

Sharks have been one of the best NHL teams during these 10 years, period. Ask anybody. Before this season they have been dominating in the west. No matter if they haven't won anything. They have been the top team there. Nobody wanted to play against them during these past 10 years. They ran things back there. They have scored so many goals during these past 10 years...it's really amazing. That 10 straight playoff runs is a fantastic evidence of a job being done well in the NHL. And now their firm club wants Randy Carlyle to run things for them. That to me tells so much. They recognize real. They recognize a winner and a real doer.

Wait and see as their team gets into the playoffs immeditaly right back after this nonsense season were watching right now. This season is just so stupid cow kaka.

Maybe I misread your post, thought you said Detroit held the record for any league.

My point was its not like SJ is a successful team like Detroit where teams want to copy what they do. Had we not fired Carlyle, what kind of message would they be sending the fans? They had to do something. He wasn't the problem, most knowledgable fans knew that but casual fans might have thought otherwise. Him being fired was a good thing though, I wish it happened sooner. We needed that pick.

Pyromaniac3

Dec 19, 2011
Toronto
And Darren McCarty has 4 rings, what's your point?

Being the head coach is much different from being a 6/7 D.

Oh please, PLEASE use the "Had a great d-pairing" thing. Ya know, cause Carlyle was the only coach to have great players on his team...

How about this? Carlyle was a **** coach in Toronto. I mean how can you justify this:

1) Playing Orr/McLaren over MacArthur in playoffs
2) Playing O'Byrne over Gardiner in playoffs
3) Forcing Colborne trade to play Orr/McLaren 2mins/game
4) Costing us a 2nd round pick instead of 3rd to play Holland 2mins/game
5) Playing McClement 20mins/game
6) Setting a record for the most SA in history (though now Buffalo holds that record)
7) Inadvertently buying out Grabovski to sign Clarkson.

List goes on and on. He was **** for Toronto, end of story. It does not matter that Horachek's record is worse. Carlyle was **** in absolute terms.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad