Post-Game Talk: The Finnish Sieve lets in four god awful goals

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
I hope Kassian does something next game to get a 10 game suspension.

Edit - Yes, I am hoping he sends one of those turds to the locker room. Calgary is the only Canadian team I can think of that plays like this all game. Would love to see it.

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Our D make mistakes, but if some of our forwards actually hustled and did not give up on plays (like RNH here), things could be prevented. Kahun on the Bennett goal as well

Reactions: _Del_

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
How Nurse and Barrie got stuck on that Hobbit goal. BRUTAL by Barrie. Barrie also leaps up and misses the puck on the Flames 3rd goal to create a 2 on 1

Reactions: MessierII

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Barrie was not good last night. If he stays he needs to a 2nd pairing defenseman IMO. That said I am going to flat out say it, IMO Bouchard is a better version of Barrie. He will make rookie mistakes and will never be a rock defensively (neither is Barrie), but by my eye he skates better, moves the puck better and has a better shot than Barrie while also being bigger, younger and cheaper.

Reactions: Snipes45

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Because he thinks he knows how to pronounce his name in Swedish. Close but no cigar.

It's so goofy and weird to try and pronounce one word in a second language when you don't speak the language. Maybe he's trying to do it out of some misguided respect for Swedish people. But it just comes across as trying too hard.

Same with his trying to push Dynamite Line as a name Draisaitl - Nugent Hopkins and Yamamoto.

I believe the downfall of hockey analytics is the arbitrary nature of the stats. I think Staples does a good job of making his column and radio/podcast appearances accessible to the average fan and I appreciate that.

Overall I find him worth following despite the linguistic idiosyncrasies.

Magnum23

Aug 24, 2012
And 13. I haven't held much hope for Puljujarvi turning the corner the past few years, but the last 2-3 games have been great efforts by him and the goals are starting to come as a result.

Yes 13 was great too, taking nice steps forward this year, turning over the puck a lot less this year.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Wanted to give you a reasonable answer so I decided to sleep on it. Woke up this morning and I still have no idea who I would play with McDavid. It’s a testament to how weak this roster is on the wings. I don’t have much faith in Ennis. Or Nygard. Or Shore. Chiasson and Neal are too slow. Who’s left? Khaira, Russell, Kassian, Archibald ... I mean look at that sad group of wingers. Not a single worthy candidate among them.

Honestly, look at the wings on this club. Outside of Yamamoto who do they have? Neal I like but he’s long in the tooth and kind of slow. Kassian has gone awol again. RNH is a converted center so he doesn’t count. Puljujarvi is showing that he may become a good option for McDavid so good for the kid showing up with his head screwed on right. Beyond that it’s scrub city. Nygard, Shore, Ennis and Khaira are the only left shot wingers left. Rotate them in? I dunno ... maybe they have to leave RNH where he is. Is he really going to fix the third line if they drop him down? He doesn’t have the track record of ever leading a line to success and he’ll probably be pouting about the demotion, so maybe it’s not a realistic idea after all.

Edit - maybe this line set which was posted in the JP thread? Except switch Kahun and RNH.

Neal - McDavid - Pulju
RNH - Drai - Yamamoto
Kahun - Turris - Kassian
Could be worth trying, especially since it seems like Pulju and McDavid are a legitimate first line pairing now.

barry halls

Nov 13, 2018
Didn’t read all 37 pages here but I hope there was lots of complaining about that disgraceful commentary on a national broadcast, with that awful call on the Gaudreau goal, and also the colour commentator stating at one point that “you love to see this pushback from the flames”. What a slap in the face to the tens of thousands of Oilers fans thinking they’re going to get neutral HNIC coverage.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
It's so goofy and weird to try and pronounce one word in a second language when you don't speak the language. Maybe he's trying to do it out of some misguided respect for Swedish people. But it just comes across as trying too hard.

Same with his trying to push Dynamite Line as a name Draisaitl - Nugent Hopkins and Yamamoto.

I believe the downfall of hockey analytics is the arbitrary nature of the stats. I think Staples does a good job of making his column and radio/podcast appearances accessible to the average fan and I appreciate that.

Overall I find him worth following despite the linguistic idiosyncrasies.

I think a lot of hockey analytics are based off of this misguided idea that all players at the NHL are equal; every players shot attempt means the same. Every players scoring chance means the same thing. But any idiot with a pair of eyes knows that that is objectively false: who would you rather have on your team shooting a one timer from the slot if you had to choose between say Ovechkin or Stortini? I think even your average 5 year old picks Ovechkin 100% of the time. But Stortini's HDSC counts the same as Ovechkin's.

For this reason, I think PDO is actually one of the best "advanced stats" out there. Take a look at the PDO of almost any objectively good player, and they are ALWAYS like 105+. Guys liek Crosby and Getzlaf spent decades with PDO's that are supposedly several standard deviations lucky. But it's not because they are lucky, it's because they are good. Its because they are more likely to score and less likely to get scored on than their opponent.

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Didn’t read all 37 pages here but I hope there was lots of complaining about that disgraceful commentary on a national broadcast, with that awful call on the Gaudreau goal, and also the colour commentator stating at one point that “you love to see this pushback from the flames”. What a slap in the face to the tens of thousands of Oilers fans thinking they’re going to get neutral HNIC coverage.
Oh buddy you missed an awesome amount of us venting about how terrible and amateur hour that broadcast was. IMO, that was the worst in Oilers history. Bunch of us even emailed Sportsnet feedback to complain about it.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I’m still not over how pathetic Koski was, but on the plus side, Barrie was phenomenal. Let’s hope he can keep up the level he’s been at lately

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
Ever play EA NHL and have your goalie flail his limbs around like crazy only to have the puck slide through his legs in slow motion and into the net?

That was Koskinen last night

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Our D make mistakes, but if some of our forwards actually hustled and did not give up on plays (like RNH here), things could be prevented. Kahun on the Bennett goal as well

RNH and McDavid need to figure that out.

McDavid gets caught deep, so RNH is the first man back, but instead of taking the center responsibilities, he just floats in and worries about his man at the point. McDavid doesn't hustle back because he thinks RNH is going to take the center role.

It's happened so much this season. Just dumb, lazy hockey.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
The first one for sure.
Agreed, and the PP goal by Dube wasn’t great, but it’s one we see Drai score 15 times a season and not once does an Oilers fan say that his one timers in the PP are soft goals. That said, anyone saying that Goudreau, Bennett’s or Lucic’s goals are routine saves has never played hockey in their life.

Reactions: Kaptah

Kaptah

Jul 15, 2007
Blaming the loosing record on overworked Koskinen is stupid, and an easy way to overlook the real problems. Real problems are team defence structure and quality of defencemen and bottom six. Having an overaged, over-the-hill backup goalie doesn't help.

fireantz

Mar 15, 2007
Question? Did Kassian get one shift opposite Tkatchuk? We needed a spark in the last half of the game. Missed opportunity to get ZK’s blood flowing and spark the team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad