The Final Barn Season.....

Snapshotgoal

Feb 17, 2013
Tampa FL
No, Wang is too cheap. If he's willing to throw a patch on the shoulders of all his jerseys to save a buck then we all know the answer.

Wang, Snow, Cappy must go!

Isles Fan

Sep 12, 2006
No and I don't think he spends once they get to Brooklyn either.

I think he's going to try and recoup some of his losses and stick to the plan of building from within.

Bingo!

You could have closed the thread after this post.

David Volek1993

Jan 6, 2014
If Wang does not spend this offseason nobody is going to go to brooklyn. If Wang is just going to Brooklyn to try to recoup some of the money he has lost well then this franchise will never be good again. Will be in forever rebuilding mode especially if they continue with a backup goalie as there GM. I tend to think though the Wang won't spend money and hope the lure of Brooklyn will attract fans which it won't.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
I'm inclined to just say no. but then again, the isles will be plenty under the cap & they pretty much have to spend some $. Also, I can definitely see Ratner putting some pressure on him to start to get the team to be good. The absolute worst case scenario heading into Brooklyn will be having a lousy team. I am 100% confident that if we aren't in a conference final by at least the 3rd year in brooklyn, brooklyn will be a huge failure.

They have to spend money to reach the floor. The riddle is whether wang will spend ABOVE the floor and, at a minimum, into the middle tier of nhl teams. The answer is NO.

Spending on Vanek was an attempt to improve the team, but also a one way solution to get closer to the floor as possible.

GrandmaSlices51631

Dec 12, 2013
Long Beach
Does a bear crap in the woods?". Yes

"Does Wang actually open his wallet and make us a competitor?". No

Really don't see it happening. I could see us making one solid acquisition in the off-season but nothing that would be out-of-the-ordinary or set us apart from any other team in the league who signs someone in the offseason. It would be awesome for us to get Iginla, can still play and would be a great mentor to our youngsters. Meszaros would be a good addition too, we need to meet the floor, but it may just be a pipe dream thinking 2 division rivals would be interested to play for us.:(

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
The Brooklyn 'lease' gives wang guaranteed money every year and puts the onus on BC to sell the team and make revenue from butts in seats. That scenario doesn't give Wang any incentive to spend.
Ratner put in a clause that dictates he HAS TO maintain a competitive team, and his stipend can go up.......and it can go DOWN. Cheapskate Charlie has to look like he gives a rat's arse.

He won't spend one dime extra on next year's squad. He'll spend YASHINESQUELY his first year in Brookryn, then cut spending, cut some more, let the team wither and then preach patience with the next bunch of exciting rebuild youth. Money spent on scrubs, has beens and some qualifiers, some flights. Rinse. Repeat. Count on headlines about almost getting this top UFA or that.

They never caught him at CA.....maybe he'll get away with being a cheap soulless SOB owner with Ratner?

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
They have to spend money to reach the floor. The riddle is whether wang will spend ABOVE the floor and, at a minimum, into the middle tier of nhl teams. The answer is NO.

Spending on Vanek was an attempt to improve the team, but also a one way solution to get closer to the floor as possible.

Vanek doesn't resign, Moulson doesn't get a raise and a first and second round pick NOT GETTING PAID means how much in salary? Wang saves millions. Several players are due raises, and I'm sure AMac's replacement, if he gets replaced and we don't spend $4-5M a year on him, will run us a few mill to get us to the floor. Reinhart will make more than AMac did this year on his ELC.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Ratner put in a clause that dictates he HAS TO maintain a competitive team, and his stipend can go up.......and it can go DOWN. Cheapskate Charlie has to look like he gives a rat's arse.

He won't spend one dime extra on next year's squad. He'll spend YASHINESQUELY his first year in Brookryn, then cut spending, cut some more, let the team wither and then preach patience with the next bunch of exciting rebuild youth. Money spent on scrubs, has beens and some qualifiers, some flights. Rinse. Repeat. Count on headlines about almost getting this top UFA or that.

They never caught him at CA.....maybe he'll get away with being a cheap soulless SOB owner with Ratner?

Wang gets his guaranteed payments once the lease kicks in. The summer of 2015. BC bears ALL risk of revenues, so while Wangers payment may be modified based on performance, no one knows the criteria and one would be foolish to think that Wang would put himself in a loss position based on spending and performance.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Vanek doesn't resign, Moulson doesn't get a raise and a first and second round pick NOT GETTING PAID means how much in salary? Wang saves millions. Several players are due raises, and I'm sure AMac's replacement, if he gets replaced and we don't spend $4-5M a year on him, will run us a few mill to get us to the floor. Reinhart will make more than AMac did this year on his ELC.

Isles wouldn't pay Pap, Streit, McDonald, and Moulson. So, the isles do not reward loyal players and refuse to pay market price to retain their players. Sold as phasing out with younger players needing playing time...cheaper players by the way...

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I love the new 5 day 'Talk to UFA' window there is now. We can speak with Miller and Vanek. Let them talk to each other, sign em both and profit.

But really, it does allow teams to plan a lot more than the frenzy it used to be.

Bossyfan71

Lets Go Islanders!
Oct 29, 2012
The Bronx
I don't see Wang spending until the off season right before they move to Brooklyn. He can sell UFA's on playing in NYC and in a brand new arena.

Mike

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad