The Final Barn Season.....

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
I wanted to put this separate from the Wang/Snow Cesspool thread.

Does anyone here think Wang will spend this off-season and bring in players to give the barn a proper sendoff?

My logic behind this is that Wang needs to go into Brooklyn with a bang. He has to create some severe good buzz around the team to get people motivated to invest in tickets in Brooklyn. Going into Brooklyn on a dud will not help at all. This leads me to believe that Wang will hopefully spend more this offseason and I am not just referring to the cap floor going up either.

Thoughts?

Keep the discussion on Wang and spending and keep the remaining cesspool in the other thread!

Bunk Moreland

Mar 16, 2010
Long Island
No and I don't think he spends once they get to Brooklyn either.

I think he's going to try and recoup some of his losses and stick to the plan of building from within.

Groin Of Bates

Jan 11, 2007
Judging by the constant news every year that "Snow was in on top UFA X but he took less money elsewhere / turned down our offer", the issue shouldnt be the money.

Players do not want to come here because everything this organization stands for is a circus. Barring some awesome trade, the last season at the Coliseum / first season in the Barclays Center won't change that mentality.

bigd

Jul 27, 2003
He has to spend more to get to the cap floor but that's probably about the extent of his spending increase. I hope he at least spends it on our most pressing need, a #1 tender.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Spend more than what?

More than he is now? He has no choice.

Spend more than he is required to? We shall see.

It would make sense to try to go into Brooklyn on a high note, but this is Wang we're talking about. Common sense does not apply.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hell no.

Pigs will fly before that cheapskate ponies up more money than he has to for this team.

No spend til Brooklyn.

cjdv16

Nov 22, 2005
The Swamp
Judging by the constant news every year that "Snow was in on top UFA X but he took less money elsewhere / turned down our offer", the issue shouldnt be the money.

Players do not want to come here because everything this organization stands for is a circus. Barring some awesome trade, the last season at the Coliseum / first season in the Barclays Center won't change that mentality.

I'm still not sure I believe this. Islander-propoganda.

And if they haven't realized that they need to overpay to the sum of 2M per year for a star to consider playing here, they never will.

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site

It was all about the building...but it was/is really about the owner and team management. When players over brag about a place or agents say "he loved i there but..." It's a sign it's not really the best place to be. It's I'm here, bc I'm here but rather be somewhere else. If you are oldie, you get some money and playing time at the end of your career. So, you suck it up. When you are young, you just play and go with (except niño).

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I think so, not a ton but if we are in something I could see us being buyers at the deadline.

And You Feel Shame

Jul 31, 2007
Oooh, a cleverly disguised optimist/pessimist poll!

There's simply not that much runway left. With the likelihood of a top-5 pick in this years draft, they're likely to keep it and have the expectations that next season will be an improvement.

I do believe that Wang will recommit to spending on this team - and that it has to happen this offseason. To expect people to come in droves to Brooklyn to see a bottom-feeder is a mistake, and the personnel we have are coming into their prime years. If not now, when?

blitzkriegs

May 26, 2003
Beach & Mtn & Island
Visit site
Oooh, a cleverly disguised optimist/pessimist poll!

There's simply not that much runway left. With the likelihood of a top-5 pick in this years draft, they're likely to keep it and have the expectations that next season will be an improvement.

I do believe that Wang will recommit to spending on this team - and that it has to happen this offseason. To expect people to come in droves to Brooklyn to see a bottom-feeder is a mistake, and the personnel we have are coming into their prime years. If not now, when?

The Brooklyn 'lease' gives wang guaranteed money every year and puts the onus on BC to sell the team and make revenue from butts in seats. That scenario doesn't give Wang any incentive to spend.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
i voted yes. but now im thinking no.

i think once they are in Brooklyn they will spend more. just because you have to belive that the BK group will want a competitive franchise in return for paying off wang.

that said nothing surprises me anymore with this team.

now it would be nice if next season he spent some money to give us fans a nice memory of the final season in Nassau coliseum. but they best we will get is some lame marketing campaign.

i wonder what next years slogan will be?

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
He already offered Vanek 7 for 7. He's already starting. I'm sure the haters/conspiracy theorist will find a way to belittle a monster contract like that but it's spending no matter how you spin it. Whether or not the right FA worth a contract is available before they move is anyone's guess.

As long as he doesn't hand out silly contracts just for the sake of doing so (like buffalo did after their ownership change) it seems like he's headed in the right direction. I mean, the only hing worse than spending is misplaced/misguided spending.

Last edited:

Bones45

Dec 7, 2005
N/A
Players do not want to come here because everything this organization stands for is a circus.

Bingo.

If you could make (lets say) 5 million a year playing for a solid team, and a yearly playoff contender or you can make 20% more and play for the Islanders...

Which would you do?

Its a no-brainer. I would love to be a fly on the wall listening to players and NHL people talking about how horrible this team and organization is.

Hip Of Rick*

Snow Must Go!
Mar 17, 2007
Philadelphia
He already offered Vanek 7 for 7. He's already starting. I'm sure the haters/conspiracy theorist will find a way to belittle a monster contract like that but it's spending no matter how you spin it.

That offer if true was not even a raise, therefore it was never going to be accepted. Plus he needs to get to the higher cap floor somehow

Thatguystevie

Jan 26, 2014
That offer if true was not even a raise, therefore it was never going to be accepted. Plus he needs to get to the higher cap floor somehow

Lol, like I said, conspiracy theorist will find any way to belittle a monster contract like that.

Even if it wasn't a "raise" he still would have been one of the top 20 highest paid players in the entire league. If offering one of the top 20 highest salaries isn't "spending" then nothing is.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I'm inclined to just say no. but then again, the isles will be plenty under the cap & they pretty much have to spend some $. Also, I can definitely see Ratner putting some pressure on him to start to get the team to be good. The absolute worst case scenario heading into Brooklyn will be having a lousy team. I am 100% confident that if we aren't in a conference final by at least the 3rd year in brooklyn, brooklyn will be a huge failure.

Giuseppe Franco

Jun 1, 2008
Lol, like I said, conspiracy theorist will find any way to belittle a monster contract like that.

Even if it wasn't a "raise" he still would have been one of the top 20 highest paid players in the entire league. If offering one of the top 20 highest salaries isn't "spending" then nothing is.

7 mil for 7 years isn't a great offer considering he will get more on the open market (and from much better teams). There's a big difference between offering a lot of money and offering fair market value. Believing the Isles did only the former is not being a conspiracy theorist - it's being a realist.

hoser14

Oct 23, 2006
Brooklyn
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hell no.

Pigs will fly before that cheapskate ponies up more money than he has to for this team.

No spend til Brooklyn.

I'm stunned that Chairman Wang didn't try to buy out the last year of the Mausoleum lease and get it over with. I wish that we know what the revenue stream will be generated at the Barclays Center so we can judge if the move from Nassau/TOH to Brooklyn will be worth the time and effort.

The last 20 years has been mostly dreadful, yesterday's disgrace could have been 1995, 200, 2009, absentee ownership, poor management, incompetent coaching and lack of real talent. Where has Chairman Wang been lately? Taking notes out of Fred and Little Jeffy Wilponzi?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad