The Final 33

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
With the season winding down and playoffs a gigantic longshot, how do you want to see these final games play out? For me I want to see the following.

1. McDavid go on a points run and challenge for the Art Ross. Currently 10 pts back and looking like he’s ready to rip it up.

2. Talbot put together a string of good games and get his confidence back, he’s going to have to get back to last years level if we’re going to have a chance next season.

3. Line combinations #1. I wanna see Maroon and Puljujarvi stapled to McDavid until seasons end, no better time than now to see if McDavid and Puljujarvi have any chemistry and if Maroon is going at the deadline let’s pump up his value.

4. Line combo #2. Lucic-Draisaitl-Slepyshev. Lucic and Draisaitl both can play a cycle game and had a bit of chemistry from time to time. Both are here long term (like it or not), lets see if they can get it together. Slepyshev on this line to see if there’s a player there or not, I suspect “not” but they need to know if he’s worth keeping or trading.

5. Line Combo #3. This is a tire fire, I don’t like any of the combos but I guess we go with Caggiula-RNH-Strome...seriously, I don’t see any good fits here, maybe Cammy in place of Caggiula until TD?

6. Line Combo #4. Khaira at C, we need to know if he’s a fit for 4th line C or not. Kassian on RW. Caggiula at LW would be my preference, but Pakarinen is fine too but I don’t see him here long term. Letestu is obviously gone in this scenario, maybe he draws in and Khaira is moved to LW until he’s traded.

The obvious “Fire the GM and coaches” isn’t required, we all know they aren’t going anywhere so let’s move past that for now.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Your going to be sorely disappointed in points 3 through 6 because McLEllan doesn't beleive that players playing with each other on a regular basis is how you build chemistry. In his mind, chemistry just happens randomly and goes away randomly and the only way to get it is by blending the lines over and over and over until something sticks.

Reactions: JMecc

Weitz

Sep 23, 2014
Don't care about anything but wins. Who cares how many point McDavid gets or line combos or anything. Win games. Fire Chiarelli.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
1. Be an above .500 team at season's end
2. PP number improving
3. PK MUST improve to "not last" (could be tough)
4. get something for Letestu
5. Either sign Maroon or get a package for him

djdub

This Space for Rent
Oct 1, 2011
Calgary, AB
Don't care about anything but wins. Who cares how many point McDavid gets or line combos or anything. Win games. Fire Chiarelli.

If the oilers start winning games there will be no firing of Chiarelli.

If you want Chiarelli gone, hope for losses.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
A McDavid charge, full emergence Puljujarvi, including getting more responsibility. And finding a way to win 2 of every 3 games down the stretch.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
A win vs Colorado on Thursday puts them 8 pts back of them... a loss would put them 12 pts back. (edit... Colorado plays Vancouver tonight so that lead will change by 0,1,2 pts... but fact remains that it's still a 4 pt game on Thursday).

These are the games where you find out how bad the Oilers want to win because those 4 pt games vs conference opponents are where they can still decide their own fate. String together enough wins in those games and the Oilers are back in the wildcard picture faster than most would think possible.

4 pt games in FEB:

Colorado Feb 1st
LA Feb 7th
Anaheim Feb 9th
San Jose Feb 10th
Colorado Feb 18th
Colorado Feb 22nd
LA Feb 24th
Anaheim Feb 25th
San Jose Feb 27th

That's 9 games vs 4 teams this month they are chasing for a wildcard spot. Win those games and they will be back in the hunt by the end of the month. Much easier said than done obviously... but they still have their own destiny in their hands if they play like they can and fight for every point in those games.

Other games this month:

Tampa
Florida
Vegas
Boston
Arizona

I think they have a good chance at splitting those 5 games... Tampa/Boston will be tough, Arizona/Florida should be good chances for wins and Vegas is a toss up.

Last edited:

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
We have to go 25-6-2 to have any shot of getting in.

The points they need to get into a wildcard spot are a little deceptive... because if they were to win 25 of their last 33 games... since they play 16 games out of their last 33 vs Calgary, LA, San Jose, Anaheim, Minnesota and Colorado... those teams wouldn't be getting as many points out of those games as well (maybe a few 1 pt OT/SO pts at most)... so the Oilers are getting 2 pts from wins AND denying those nearest wild card rivals pts as well.

I think the cutoff for the West wildcard spot will be closer to 95 pts.

The West is very strong this season... there's only 5 teams in the East with a positive goals differential... while there's 11 teams in the West with a positive goals differential. There's a chance that may actually balance out and regress to the mean somewhat which could mean the West doesn't continue dominating and the last wildcard spot in the West may take a couple pts less to make than it appears it will take now.

The Oilers of course have to actually win those games vs their closest conference rivals in the standings... BUT if they get their act together and do win many/most of those games vs conference rivals... I think a record of something like 22-7-4 would give them a strong chance to get in.

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
I frankly kind of expect a long, painful death march that's much in line with how our season has been.

RNH out for weeks yet, who knows what's happening with Larsson, Maroon and Letestu should both be gone in a month.
I mean, I'd love to see a miracle charge as much as the the next guy, but I think we struggle to win even half than the remaining games.
Just hoping for a solid return for Maroon, a bunch of MCD points, continued progession from Pulju and Nurse and hopefully increasing media criticism of the guys who got us here.

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
well I was predicting they were going to go 33-0 before I factored in the referee equalization which should bring them to 27-6

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
A win vs Colorado on Thursday puts them 8 pts back of them... a loss would put them 12 pts back. These are the games where you find out how bad the Oilers want to win because those 4 pt games vs conference opponents are where they can still decide their own fate. String together enough wins in those games and the Oilers are back in the wildcard picture faster than most would think possible.

4 pt games in FEB:

Colorado Feb 1st
LA Feb 7th
Anaheim Feb 9th
San Jose Feb 10th
Colorado Feb 18th
Colorado Feb 22nd
LA Feb 24th
Anaheim Feb 25th
San Jose Feb 27th

That's 9 games vs 4 teams this month they are chasing for a wildcard spot. Win those games and they will be back in the hunt by the end of the month. Much easier said than done obviously... but they still have their own destiny in their hands if they play like they can and fight for every point in those games.

Other games this month:

Tampa
Florida
Vegas
Boston
Arizona

I think they have a good chance at splitting those 5 games... Tampa/Boston will be tough, Arizona/Florida should be good chances for wins and Vegas is a toss up.

Anaheim has a tough schedule , Thornton is out for SAN Jose. We have been doing great in the Pacific. Someone mentioned the following lines:

Puju/McJesu/Maroon
Slept/Drai/Luci
Strome/RNH/
Kassian/Letestu/

I like the make-up of that. Rotate Khaira and Caggiula and we have something . Sekera , Klefbom and Benning need to improve dramatically .

I’m gonna continue to watch them. What other alternative is there. I watched when Eakins was here. How soon we forget

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
We have to go 25-6-2 to have any shot of getting in.
In the last 33 GP:
Boston were 23 5 5, 51 pts.
Vegas were 22 6 3, 47 pts.
WPG 43 pts
DAL 42 pts

Going Boston would most probsbly be enough since that would mean 98 pts. Going Vegas would mean 94 pts and could be enough if the wins are against mostly WC teams. WPG or DAL results for the last 33 GP would put us at 89-90 pts so then we'd need a lot of luck to manage.

If they can do it, why can't we, were we not favorites for the Cup this season? :naughty:

Kidding aside I would like to see some of our D re-bound or, if injured, be given a break. Resigning of Maroon for cheap would also be great but I won't hold my breath on that.

It would be nice also to see McDavid challange for the Art Ross but in the end I want to see the team play well for a while. That would be good even if we're out of the playoffs.

No stupid moves at TDL please. Don't trade Klefbom unless for an upgrade on Klefbom from 16/17, and don't trade Nuge unless Karlsson is going the other the other way.

Last edited:

Dynamic

Dec 21, 2004
Edmonton
Final 33 games

I hope Larsson and Klef play somewhat like they did last year

Nurse continues to be steady

Mcdavid puts up some serious points

One coaches challenge/goal review to go our way

Above .500, the real one by seasons end

I could live with this year if they close it out good.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Final 33 games

I hope Larsson and Klef play somewhat like they did last year

Nurse continues to be steady

Mcdavid puts up some serious points

One coaches challenge/goal review to go our way

Above .500, the real one by seasons end

I could live with this year if they close it out good.

I was with you on all the other points but that one is straight outta Grimm's Fairy Tales. :)

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad