Injury Report: The facts are in on Lost man games

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
We look for reasons why we didn't make the playoffs, well here's a good one!

Vancouver lost the most man-games in the NHL this season. The Jets were the second team with the most man-games lost. Washington and Calgary lost the fewest. According to https://www.mangameslost.com/

THIS IS A MAJOR REASON WHY WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. PERIOD!

A good healthy season springboards us into the playoffs.

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
We look for reasons why we didn't make the playoffs, well here's a good one!

Vancouver lost the most man-games in the NHL this season. The Jets were the second team with the most man-games lost. Washington and Calgary lost the fewest. According to https://www.mangameslost.com/

THIS IS A MAJOR REASON WHY WE DIDN'T MAKE THE PLAYOFFS. PERIOD!

A good healthy season springboards us into the playoffs.

That's what kills me when I hear Toronto is better.

We were decimated with injuries while they were extremely healthy all year; yet the only difference was that they had more loser points.

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
That's what kills me when I hear Toronto is better.

We were decimated with injuries while they were extremely healthy all year; yet the only difference was that they had more loser points.

You are 100% correct. The Leafs were also one of the healthiest teams in the NHL. We will shoot by them next year.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Jets also had a 36 goal scorer on an ELC pop in their laps out of nowhere. Jets would not be in the playoffs even if they were healthy, they were bad when they were injured (November) and they were bad when they were mostly healthy (Dec, Jan, Feb). The only time they were good was in garbage time when they had significant injuries.

Last edited:

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
And the narrative building to justify the season continues...

How could loosing so many key players for so long not have an affect on where you finish in the standings. Washington lost the least man-games and Calgary was second least. Dallas was also hit very hard with injuries. These are excuses but factual. If you do not recognize these facts, you are turning a blind eye to reality.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
How could loosing so many key players for so long not have an affect on where you finish in the standings. Washington lost the least man-games and Calgary was second least. Dallas was also hit very hard with injuries. These are excuses but factual. If you do not recognize these facts, you are turning a blind eye to reality.

Then please explain why the Jets were bad in December, Jan, Feb when they were mostly healthy (minus Myers and 8 games of Laine)

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Jets also had a 36 goal scorer on an ELC pop in their laps out of nowhere. Jets would not be in the playoffs even if they were healthy, they were bad when they were injured (November) and they were bad when they were mostly healthy (Dec, Jan, Feb). The only time they were good was in garbage time when they had significant injuries.

What point are you trying to make here? Is this an indictment of Coaching? Quality of players (GM)? Goaltending? Upper Management? Enlighten us, please.

Fact: Jets were (not decimated - that's an ancient punishment doled out to soldiers who failed in the battlefield. 1 in 10 offed because of their failure) severely hampered because of injuries...

...but ultimately done in by coaching and lack of movement by Management, either because of incompetence, or because of systemic issues regarding XD and cap issues with potential trade partners. I see the injuries as a reason, but not an excuse for missing the playoffs. I do think certain moves could have been made as they got healthier post Christmas timeframe to get them into the playoffs. I put this on Chevy and Maurice.

But trying to deny the role that injuries played is disingenuous, especially coming from well informed and intelligent posters.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014

Just because they had a losing record for one stretch when they were healthy, it doesn't necessarily follow that they would have had a losing record, if healthy, when they weren't.

:teach:

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
What point are you trying to make here? Coaching? Quality of players? Goaltending? Management? Enlighten us, please.

Fact: Jets were (not decimated - that's an ancient punishment doled out to soldiers who failed in the battlefield. 1 in 10 offed because of their failure) severely hampered because of injuries...

...but done in by coaching and lack of movement by Management, either because of incompetence, or because of systemic issues regarding XD and cap issues with potential trade partners. I see the injuries as a reason, but not an excuse for missing the playoffs. I do think certain moves could have been made as they got healthier post Christmas timeframe to get them into the playoffs. I put this on Chevy and Maurice.

But trying to deny the role that injuries played is disingenuous, especially coming from well informed and intelligent posters.

The point I am making is simple- there was a period of time when the Jets were hammered by injuries, there's another period of time where they were mostly healthy and finally at the end of the season there was another period of time where they were hammered by injuries. The Jets did not put up the points when they were injured, they did not put up the points when they were mostly healthy for a period of 2-3 months. They did put up points when they were injured big time at the end of the season.

Seems to me that there is something else going on with the team that is independent of health. I am not claiming to have any answers but looking at the season it seems far from clear to me that injuries are to blame. Coaching seems like reasonable thing to look at.

Injuries play a role ofcourse, however I am not convinced that injuries were the reason we missed the playoffs and that given a healthy season the Jets would automatically be better next season as is being argued in this thread.

JetsFan815

Jan 16, 2012
Just because they had a losing record for one stretch when they were healthy, it doesn't necessarily follow that they would have had a losing record, if healthy, when they weren't.

:teach:

So you think given this exact same roster, the exact same systems and the exact same supporting personell, if the Jets were to stay healthy, they make the playoffs next season?

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
The point I am making is simple- there was a period of time when the Jets were hammered by injuries, there's another period of time where they were mostly healthy and finally at the end of the season there was another period of time where they were hammered by injuries. The Jets did not put up the points when they were injured, they did not put up the points when they were mostly healthy for a period of 2-3 months. They did put up points when they were injured big time at the end of the season.

Right. Which is why I was pressing - I was trying to discern what point you were trying to make.

Seems to me that there is something else going on with the team that is independent of health. I am not claiming to have any answers but looking at the season it seems far from clear to me that injuries are to blame. Coaching seems like reasonable thing to look at.

You have to admit that they're partially to blame for at least a portion of last year's record. This does NOT absolve coaching and front office from other issues. Both can be an issue.

Injuries play a role ofcourse, however I am not convinced that injuries were the reason we missed the playoffs and that given a healthy season the Jets would automatically be better next season as is being argued in this thread.

They wouldn't automatically be better, but it's difficult to argue that it would hurt them - fix some of the other issues that I mentioned AND be healthier, and I don't know how anyone could argue that we'd be in a better spot next year.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

I think you are underestimating the disruption in roles, momentum, wear and tear on remaining core players, players needing to fully get back to full production, etc. Perreault took weeks to get back to full production after returning from injury. Enstrom never really got into sync. Injuries forced players like Buff and Wheeler and Scheifele to play way more than they should have during very heavy portions of the schedule.

Overall, I think your dismissal of injuries as a key factor in the Jets performance ignores a lot of the specific circumstances and goes against a ton of evidence that injuries have a large impact on results. If injuries aren't important, why does everyone give the Lightning a pass for missing the playoffs. The Jets combination of injuries, schedule and travel was more challenging than the Lightning's. Also, add a full month without Trouba at the beginning.

Injuries aren't the only issue, but dismissing them is a strange position that ignores evidence.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Then please explain why the Jets were bad in December, Jan, Feb when they were mostly healthy (minus Myers and 8 games of Laine)

Scheifele, Perreault, Armia, Matthias, Copp, Chiarot and Dano also missed games through that "healthy" stretch. I think you are completely ignoring the cumulative effect of overwork on core players that is manifested during the horrendous schedule. Also, Enstrom had off ice issues that affected his play for most of the season.

At the end of the season the Jets top forwards were all healthy and generally better rested. They were mostly injured on D, but their forwards really carried the play and put goals on the scoreboard.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Buff had an off year while playing more than any player in the league, you'd have to figure that with a more evenly distributed load on the back end with a healthy D Buff plays more effectively. Depth helps with that, but the Jets' depth isn't exposed without all the injuries/Trouba holdout/Enstrom's decline and or personal issues. That's partially on management for not acquiring depth and coaching for playing Buff that much (among other things) but again, those things aren't exposed without the injuries.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Scheifele, Perreault, Armia, Matthias, Copp, Chiarot and Dano also missed games through that "healthy" stretch. I think you are completely ignoring the cumulative effect of overwork on core players that is manifested during the horrendous schedule. Also, Enstrom had off ice issues that affected his play for most of the season.

Lots of things add up over a season that can keep you from your goals. I wouldn't put injuries at the top of the list but they certainly were a contributing factor. As was goaltending, a tough schedule and poor special teams play. When all was said and done we had enough wins to be a playoff team if we could have pushed a higher percentage of loses into OT. IMO that is a combination of all of the above with a sprinkle of poor player usage by Maurice.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
Injuries to key players at the most inopportune times.
Coaching that sounds world class in interviews and sound bites but is decidedly less so in practice.
Slumbering inactivity from the GM that for years has allowed blantant weaknesses to persist without legitimate attempts to address.
Standard issue Winnipeg Jets goaltending (Trademark probably pending).
Incomprehensible asset deployment (i.e. player usage) aka Coaching x2.
Ineffective systems/strategy aka Coaching x3.
Inability to adjust strategy mid-game to counter what your opponent has done to minimize your offensive and/or defensive schemes, aka Coaching x4.
Brutal schedule from the league.

YWGinYYZ

Jul 3, 2011
Toronto
Coaching that sounds would class in interviews and sound bites but is decidedly less so in practice.
Slumbering inactivity from the GM that for years has allowed blantant weaknesses to persist without legitimate attempts to address.
Inability to adjust strategy mid-game to counter what your opponent has done to minimize your offensive and/or defensive schemes, aka Coaching x4.

I agree with this laundry list - that sums up the reason for the non-playoff appearance, and should be posted on Chevy's wall as he considers 2017/18.

Evil Little

Jan 22, 2014
So you think given this exact same roster, the exact same systems and the exact same supporting personell, if the Jets were to stay healthy, they make the playoffs next season?

That wasn't my point.

But I think that's possible.

Improving those things is welcome, too.

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
Coaching that sounds world class in interviews and sound bites but is decidedly less so in practice.

This is pulitzer material and sums the Jets season up in less than 100 words. :handclap:

.....really leaned on this
Brutal schedule from the league
when all he needed to do was look in the mirror with Chevy.

Yes, man lost man games was a factor but this outfit was a myriad of factors in once again not making the playoffs.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
Doing the math according the impact on points as given at the MGL site - when you take into account each teams injuries the Jets would have finished third in the Central behind the Hawks and Wild.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
I would also add, that it strikes me as concerning that for two seasons now, the collective plays its best after any hope for the post season has been plungered down the toilet. Coincidence or something lacking in character or intestinal fortitude or maybe 5.5 month summers with $millions in the bank are too lucrative?

It strikes me as another area of concern.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I would also add, that it strikes me as concerning that for two seasons now, the collective plays its best after any hope for the post season has been plungered down the toilet. Coincidence or something lacking in character or intestinal fortitude or maybe 5.5 month summers with $millions in the bank are too lucrative?

It strikes me as another area of concern.

How does this relate to the issue of lost mangames?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad