The Expendable 3 - Nikolai Kulemin??

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Is Kulemin expendable?

With Ashton, Leivo, and D'Amigo having solid to great camps, (depending on who you are talking about) and Komarov reportadly wanting to come back to the Leafs next season, is Kulemin a guy we can deal, perhaps at the deadline or the draft?

Would you move Kulemin and re-sign Bolland? Would you keep Kulemin and let Bolland walk?

Frelimo

Jul 6, 2012
Toronto
Is Kulemin expendable?

With Ashton, Leivo, and D'Amigo having solid to great camps, (depending on who you are talking about) and Komarov reportadly wanting to come back to the Leafs next season, is Kulemin a guy we can deal, perhaps at the deadline or the draft?

Would you move Kulemin and re-sign Bolland? Would you keep Kulemin and let Bolland walk?

If its either or I won't really have much of an opinion until well into the season, though it certainly appears we don't have the depth at centre to replace Bolland right now. I don't get why trading Kulemin keeps popping up again and again. He's a very servicable third-liner who can step onto the second line for stretches, plays well defensively, not absolutely brutal offensively, is a big body (could stand to be a bit more physical thought) and is not that expensive. He's exactly what you want in a checking line winger on a team with high aspirations.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Is Kulemin expendable?

It depends on how they play this season and their contract demands.

Also if the team gets lucky and someone claims Liles of waivers they would have enough space for both imo.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
It depends on how they play this season and their contract demands.

Also if the team gets lucky and someone claims Liles of waivers they would have enough space for both imo.

with Kulemin reaching UFA next year and the really strong play of Ashton/Levio/D'Amigo, I would really not be surprised if Nonis does ends up trading him towards deadline. I think he's key for a playoff run though, so I think Nonis will let him go for cap space dollars and not fret too much about it.

Schenn

In Rod We Trust
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2009
Huron County
I would keep both Kulemin and Bolland after next season, considering the cap is going to make a monster jump. I don't know why you would want to trade one of our best defensive forwards who can chip in on the offense. Seems like it would be making a trade for the sake of making a trade. Dumb.

Ace88*

Kulemin is not expendable at all. As the longest-tenured Leaf by a fair margin, he knows his role, plays it to a T, doesn't complain, and works his ass off. Having some C prospects looking ok in preseason games doesn't make a veteran 2nd-3rd liner suddenly expendable. He is still a huge part of the penalty kill and we need his excellent puck hounding skills. Carlyle and Nonis have both gone on record as big fans, as well. We should be looking to extend him, not trade him. No way Nonis lets him go.

Larcos_Unal

Excuses are for losers
Jul 6, 2007
Toronto
kulemin is such a frustrating player, has tons of physical gifts yet he looks like he's out to lunch 90% of the time.

LV*

Free my bro Leivo
Aug 26, 2012
Toronto
Maybe at the deadline if it looks like we can't resign him (cap) and someone in the AHL is playing really well...

7even

Offered and lost
Feb 1, 2012
North Carolina
He's still miles ahead of his replacements. He's got great speed and is a monster on the backcheck. Can't really think of a reason why we'd want that gone :huh: Every team wants a guy like Kule.

Bolland on the other hand...well I just haven't seen it from him yet. He's looked really unimpressive in his limited games so far, but clearly now's not the time to make that call.

Keep Kulemin and Bolland, trade Clarkson

$5M per over 7 years, he's not going anywhere.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
Bolland or Kuli... one of them will be gone next year. Leivo, D'Amigo (whoever can take face offs) will hopefully be ready to step up.

Leaf Rocket

Leaf Fan Till I Die
Dec 10, 2007
Toronto/Fredericton
He'd be a good fit in Edmonton, but I think Pitt pushes hard for him... actually, they probably already have at some point.

I think that's just the most obvious answer but I'd say other teams might have real strong interest in him and for some reason I think those two would be a good idea.

dsf

Dec 7, 2009
Brampton
kulemin is such a frustrating player, has tons of physical gifts yet he looks like he's out to lunch 90% of the time.

lol

More accurately, he's eating people's lunch out there 90% of the time.

I can't wait to see the negative impact of trading Kulemin and watch the fan base blame it on someone.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
Is Kulemin expendable?

No. Not even close.

member 147413

I think so, he's really been awful in the preseason, weak on the puck, falls over like a child and poor positionaly.

TheProspector

Oct 18, 2007
Orlando
Trading your best defensive forward - and one of the best defensive forwards in the league - when your biggest flaw is team defense? Stupid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad