The Expendable 3 - Nikolai Kulemin??

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kulemin's a good defensive player, but he's also the most overrated player on the Leafs hands down. McClemment is twice the player at less than 1/2 the price.

Kulie is no doubt the most underrated Leaf among the fanbase. He's worth every cent of his contract, and its unfortuante that Nonis' disaster of an offseason pretty much guarantees he'll be gone as a UFA.

From one side of the sprectrum to the other.

Kulemin is a good player but probably not worth the money he'll want. I'd easily sign him long-term to what Hansen signed (~2.5M) but I don't think he would. Maybe up it to 3.5M for 5 years. That would be a good deal for both himself and the Leafs.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
If we can set aside the notion of Kulemin's 30-goal season and the unlikelihood he will replicate it, it would go a long way. He is a perfect 3rd line -- he's capable of playing on the 2nd line, he will score 10-15 goals (with the potential for more), he works extremely hard, he's physical, he can kill penalties, and has the ability to play on the power play if given the chance.

I don't think he's untouchable, but I think he'd be extremely hard to replace if you move him.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Depends on contract demands and performance.

If Kulemin puts up another 10 goal season and demands north of 3 million, I think our prospect pool is strong enough to replace that kind of production on a much cheaper contract.

Kulemin is a decent player, but I think his importance to the team is overblown by the fanbase. If he didn't put up that 30 goal season a few years ago he would have already been run out of town.

Kitchen

Sep 23, 2013
Toronto
Kulemin is a hard worker who is great defensively and has a little offense to his game too, he a a great depth player. those are the types of players you need to go deep into the playoffs. he is a great 3rd liner that can step up to help out the 2nd line if need be. all of our other forward prospects are looking like they might be able to make a decent 3rd liner maybe. if you are looking for players to trade and are expendable due to young players that are looking promising turn your eyes to the defense. our froward prospect pool is very weak while our prospects on D are extremely strong.

Eb

Feb 27, 2011
Toronto
Depends on contract demands and performance.

If Kulemin puts up another 10 goal season and demands north of 3 million, I think our prospect pool is strong enough to replace that kind of production on a much cheaper contract.

Kulemin is a decent player, but I think his importance to the team is overblown by the fanbase. If he didn't put up that 30 goal season a few years ago he would have already been run out of town.

It's funny because if you talk to any casual Leaf fan, they dislike Kulemin and want him gone.

Then you see threads on here asking if we should trade him.

It's the opposite of overrating in my opinion.

Vexed

Magic Marner
Feb 4, 2011
Barrie
I think Ashton will eventually take his job but I wouldn't move Kule until that happens and not a moment sooner

JackJ

Feb 7, 2012
Why do people think Leivo is NHL ready? Hes a great prospect and will be great one day but hes not ready. Trust me, I went to high school with him. I want to see him in the NHL as soon as possible too. But its not happening this year.

Doubt anyone actually believes he's ready to start in the pros. IMO he's moved up a few spots on the forward depth chart, that's all.

A huge first year with the Marlies will certainly change things. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad