TV: The Expanse Season 4

Holden Caulfield

Eternal Skeptic
Feb 15, 2006
Winnipeg
Best show around is back. I'm so excited. The 4th book is mostly a slog so I imagine that this season will rush through book 4 and start on book 5 pretty quickly inside this season.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
Here's an article with some new info.
SPOILERS!

9 Things to Know About The Expanse Season 4, Straight From the Cast | TV Guide

- Bobbie has been dishonourably discharged and has been caught up in the economic collapse of Mars. The road that she is on is going to lead her down a path of crime. So it looks like we'll be getting a bit of Gods of Risk, and a discount Churn on Mars.

- Keon Alexander does indeed seem to be playing Marcos. He'll be making his first appearance in episode 4, allegedly

- Wei is indeed in this season, and it seems she hits it off with Amos, though with some form of romantic twist. To what extent this romance goes is unknown, hopefully not to far.

- Miller bot is confirmed!!!!!! :partytime:

Last edited:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
Couple hours and this will be out. Can't wait to be able to watch it back to back instead of week to week.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Couple hours and this will be out. Can't wait to be able to watch it back to back instead of week to week.

Oh, that's right. I was thinking that I'd be able to watch only one episode before leaving for Christmas and have to watch the rest after I get back, but I might be able to binge the whole thing before I leave. Watching The Mandalorian every week, I think that I may actually prefer weekly releases, but, in this case, having it all released at once works to my benefit.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Started watching it. Creators certainly did not lost the touch despite the cancellation and renewal. Same good old Expanse :thumbu:

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
To help discussion, perhaps start with mentioning the episode you've watched/are watching, then spoiler tags. Like this:

Episode 1:

There's the new sign on Roci...

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Will be watching some of this on the weekend, probably won't finish it until next weekend though at best.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I watched the first episode last night, then burned through 2-9 today. Going to save the finale for tomorrow morning.

I kind of wish these were once a week releases, with something this good once I start I just cant' stop watching.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
I am in the middle of it (7th episode). I can't way any longer I have to say that Avasarala is ****ing star of this season :laugh:
Long and standing ovation for her every appearance on the screen :thumbu:

GhostfaceWu

Shi Shaw
Feb 11, 2015
This is too good. Watched 9 episodes in 2 days and I'm trying to hold off on the finale til tomorrow just so everything digests a little. Episode 9 was unreal, though.

Reactions: Hint1k

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I am in the middle of it (7th episode). I can't way any longer I have to say that Avasarala is ****ing star of this season :laugh:
Long and standing ovation for her every appearance on the screen :thumbu:

Nothing to do with her performance but I was kind of taken aback by the abrupt casting change and increased role of her husband. Old husband was a rather distinct sitcom actor, while new guy was way different and looked too much (for me at least) like her old security guy. The old guy was in the Big Bang Theory (and I knew him from the Vancouver based sitcom I Feel Bad), the new guy was in Deadpool. I know sometimes these things can't be helped but still.

Really my only criticism of the season, that and it feels like it may have ended to abruptly but I haven't read the books to know what's coming ahead and whether or not this was a good place to stop.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I finished watching 6 episodes, and I f***ing love this show.

The cliffhanger of the tsunami hitting them seemed like a good place to stop until I have time to pick this up again.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing to do with her performance but I was kind of taken aback by the abrupt casting change and increased role of her husband. Old husband was a rather distinct sitcom actor, while new guy was way different and looked too much (for me at least) like her old security guy. The old guy was in the Big Bang Theory (and I knew him from the Vancouver based sitcom I Feel Bad), the new guy was in Deadpool. I know sometimes these things can't be helped but still.

Really my only criticism of the season, that and it feels like it may have ended to abruptly but I haven't read the books to know what's coming ahead and whether or not this was a good place to stop.

Just to be clear, I was talking about character not the actress. Sure when you like a character it has a lot to do with the actor's performance, but I meant character in this case.

I did not know about her husband's actor, I would not even notice the change if not your message. Thanks for the tip.

As for my criticism I have a lot of problems with Bobbie this season. Again the character, not the actress.

a bit of Bobbie's breakdown:
I have not read the books yet, so I don't know whose fault is this (author of the books or show writers), but she was out of character the whole season. I get the idea that Bobbie had a hard life on Mars and they showed enough of her story to justify sudden 180 degree turn. However, it's still felt like a cheap plot device rather than the actual character development. By the end of the season I could not recognize my favorite personage from the previous season. Who the hell is this criminal and what she did with my heroic Bobbie? People usually don't do things like that. That change requires very deep personal drama or some similar heavy stuff. I really don't like this :thumbd:

A bit of Amos's breakdown:
On the other hand, Amos was so on point, that when he had a showdown with his girlfriend and her boss, I told myself sarcastically: "Well, I bet, it's going to be the typical Hollywood ending. He is going to kill the bad guy and save the girl". So when he shot her, I literally screamed at the screen: "That's what I am talking about! Let your character do what he's suppose to do, don't use him as a plot device!" :thumbu:

Last edited:

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
In regards to Bobby:

Bobby obviously wants nothing to do with the drug trade or anything that the cop and chick are involved in. However, Bobby is your prototypical, patriotic, selfless Martian who was completely indoctrinated into the cause. So when she finally clues in as to what's happening to Mars, she breaks, just as many Martians did. Bobby is our vessel into Mars and its economic, political, and social desintigration. I had no problem with any of Bobby's story, though I would have lived to have seen the Callisto attack.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009

Read the books, they're some of the best hard SciFi out there.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
So I watched the first two episodes last night for the new season.

Is it just me, or have the production values ramped up yet again? Thank you Amazon, for one of the most beautifully shot science fiction visual feasts of any kind on any media.

The little details are amazing (time delay numbers in the corner of the call, magnetic boot lights on the back of their shoes), the production design folks deserve enormous credit. I can't think of any show that portrays future space travel with such attention to detail, and that includes Battlestar Galactica.

And that's not even talking about the compelling characterizations and dialogue.

What a fantastic show. This really needs to be seen by more people.

Reactions: Blender

deltamachine

Mar 30, 2013
One of the best Tv series ever, and perhaps the best sci fi series. What makes it great for me, is along with the grand plots, there is the attention to detail which makes the Expanse universe believable and immersive. I know it's not possible to completely get the science right, but there is an attempt made to keep things believable. A big plus is that they take time to show what life is like in the year 2350...do people still brush their teeth with toothbrushes i wanna know these things. Just hope they learn from GoT and avoid the same missteps. If they are progressing faster than source materal, slow down, flesh out characters and the universe with some tangential short plots that don't interfere with the books when they come out.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I have to give Thomas Jane credit too for sticking with the Miller character even though he’s just a mouth piece for the protomolecule.

He’s great fun.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
I have to give Thomas Jane credit too for sticking with the Miller character even though he’s just a mouth piece for the protomolecule.

He’s great fun.

While Miller bot wasn't exactly what I envisioned, I enjoyed Miller's performance in that role, and it's extremely unique design.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
One of the best Tv series ever, and perhaps the best sci fi series. What makes it great for me, is along with the grand plots, there is the attention to detail which makes the Expanse universe believable and immersive. I know it's not possible to completely get the science right, but there is an attempt made to keep things believable. A big plus is that they take time to show what life is like in the year 2350...do people still brush their teeth with toothbrushes i wanna know these things. Just hope they learn from GoT and avoid the same missteps. If they are progressing faster than source materal, slow down, flesh out characters and the universe with some tangential short plots that don't interfere with the books when they come out.

There are 8 books out atm, with 8 novellas that are set in between the various books. The 9th, and final, book in the series is set to be released sometime in 2020. If there is one thing to know about Dan and Ty, it's that they release they're solid for their release schedules. There have been a number of hickups, such as Tiamat's Wrath, book 8 in the series, being delayed from December '18 to March-April of 2019.

The is also taking quite a bit from the novellas. Season 4 took from Gods of Risk, a novellas centering around Bobby on Mars. I expect there to see parts of The Churn to be incorporated in to season 5.

RobBrown4PM

Pringles?
Oct 12, 2009
They finally released the Expanse soundtrack in full

A rendition of Highway Star that is sung entirely in Belter Creole and was used in the show during Maneo's sling shot race.

Naming babies and ships after him for generations to come.....

A rendition of Tighten up that was used in Season 1 and played during the introduction to the Cantebury, once again sung in Belter Creole

I'm all Alone, a song sung in Belter Creole, that plays after Maneo learn's his girlfriend is sleeping with his brother. Poor Maneo

Reactions: Blender

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad