The evolution of Brent Burns

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Hoping to get a discussion and appreciation thread for Brent Burns going and some insight from some Sharks/Wild fans who have followed his career.

He's been in the league for 13 years now and in theory his "prime years" should be winding down, but he's having the best years of his career and has emerged as a superstar in this league and the National team.

The Sharks in theory should be on the decline as well with Thornton and Marleau getting older. Yes, they have younger studs like Couture, Pavelski, Vlasic, and now Burns but again, in theory they should be going in the opposite direction.

Burns went from being a second pair above average dman who was a winger at times to potentially a Norris winner.

How is this possible?

Last edited:

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
I'd like to hear this answer too. He seems to have remarkably improved his game in recent years.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Honestly, watching Burns from the start of his career I'm not really surprised at all he's turned out as good as he has. He was massively underrated when he played in Minnesota early in his career.

CRDragon

[̲̅$̲̅(̲̅ ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°̲̅)̲̅$̲̅]
Dec 2, 2006
Vancouver
Honestly, watching Burns from the start of his career I'm not really surprised at all he's turned out as good as he has. He was massively underrated when he played in Minnesota early in his career.

This. Plus he was also injured a lot earlier in the career and never had a chance to play consistently to perform like he's doing the last couple of seasons.

At first, thought this post was going to talk about the evolution of his beard too. :laugh:

DonskoiDonscored

Oct 12, 2013
He has said that he takes on after Joe Thornton and Joe Pavelski's summer routine, which has allowed both of them to age better as well. He's always been a beast though. Once he settled down as a full-time defenseman after years of switching, he found a groove.

Also, Pete DeBoer has had a big impact.

Drewcifer

Oct 10, 2006
Minneapolis
Early in his career Jacques Lemaire had him spend an entire season on wing with the idea that it would give him a better idea of how to play in the offensive zone and make him a better offensive defenseman. At the time it looked like it hurt his decision making as a defenseman but in the long run I think it gave him a better understanding of the overall game and helped make him the player that he is now.

I was sad to see him go, and I think most Wild fans were (even though our defense is fine right now without him). He will probably be my favorite ex Wild player as long as he is in the league.

Scrub*

Team Canada
Dec 28, 2008
His play as a forward probably helped him with conditioning and knowing where forwards will be on both sides of the puck.

Loffer

Sep 22, 2011
Indeed, his bum look has evolved promisingly. Nowadays he looks like a street bum proper - or a trash metal guitarist After he is done in San Jose he should try a career few hundred miles or something south. Or in a surf garage band in
Frisco. Not forgetting the beach bum life style and surfing itself. Lol

Bookman

Feb 27, 2002
frozen north
Visit site
I remember a lot of "who?" on the day he was drafted.

He impressed immediately with his skating.

Switched positions a lot before settling in as a d'man. Had many great moments on the Wild.

Was established as a character pretty early on, especially for his collection of reptiles, birds, and tattoos.

Authentic, loveable goofball, as well as a great player.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
Not gunna lie I expected a beard thread.

His offense is amazing his defense is really really weak.

His defense though all you need is a good defensive partner and bam problem solved.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
He is putting it all together on both sides of the puck, and will be a strong Norris contender if he continues. The narrative that he is questionable defensively ceased being true mid-last season.

Frosty415

Nov 27, 2009
415 to 519
BURNS_NEW_BEARD.jpg

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sharks have a lot of late bloomers. Pavelski is another example. Marleau didn't really hit his best play until he neared his 30s. I don't know why, but I'm not complaining.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
when playing in minnesota, it was clear consensus he was misshandled terribly by a coach by playing him wrong position through a whole year

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I mean, they've built a decent squad up to this point, but Seto was just a flop, but Coyle ended up having a decent bottom 6 career.

You obviously are a know nothing about Coyle, so why don't you just say nothing?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad