Silver Seven The Era of Marcus Hogberg Has Begun

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Looking good so far. Seems to be improving as he gets more starts.

But a bit tricky to really gauge as we're not in any meaningful games this year.

I feel the same way, I hope I eat a ton of crow about him though. Still think he is at the very least going to be a very reliable back-up/1B goalie.

Reactions: Nac Mac Feegle

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Interesting. I can't get my head around quite what "inherent noise" would mean. It has to be a flaw in the model; of course there are going to be some things missing.
Inherent noise just means statistical randomness. Hockey itself is a game with large variation. In addition to us not being able to fully quantify all elements of the game (think pre-shot movement, positioning of players pre-shot) there's elements of randomness intertwined with every data entry we are able to accumulate. It's an unfortunate reality. The model's themself are not flawed by design (well, there are some very flawed models out there but that's another discusison, most follow the same pattern and are generally good).

tigerman67

May 30, 2010
Lulea
I really never thought of Hogberg as a definite future NHL goalie when he was playing in SHL. Sure he put up some good numbers one year but overall didn't look like a complete stud doing that. As a junior he was always one step behind Oscar Dansk. I'd definitely not put him among top 5 Swedish goalie prospects born in the 90's, more likely within 6-8. Both Nilsson and Gus would be a much better fit on a top 5 list (with Markstrom, Lehner and Dansk being the other ones). Kind of odd that the three now are within the same organization, and that Lehner also has passed through!

All in all, if Hogberg becomes a regular NHL'er, I'd say it's a result of good coaching staff within the Sens. However, I'd not be surprised if Gus would replace him in a few years time, his potential when comparing them at the same age is definitely higher.

OgieO

May 17, 2006
Halifax
He's headed home for family reasons. Something was clearly emotional about the shootout win, I hope the news isn't that bad for him (though clearly it is something significant). All the best to him as he deals with whatever family issue.

He was dynamite for us imo. A very solid goalie and it looks sustainable to me (just observation).

This also helps the tank imo.

Matsens15

Dec 1, 2009
Ottawa
Hope everything is good with Hog. He is definitely a surprise this year. The Sens have call Gustavsson up. I think this can be good for him.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
He's headed home for family reasons. Something was clearly emotional about the shootout win, I hope the news isn't that bad for him (though clearly it is something significant). All the best to him as he deals with whatever family issue.

He was dynamite for us imo. A very solid goalie and it looks sustainable to me (just observation).

I did not know that it was not injury related, thank you for the update.

5ive4Fighting

Feb 11, 2019
Lonely end of the rink

I thought the SO win was emotional just because it was a win. We didn't win a SO all year, and Hogberg had a bunch of combined SO and OT losses.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
I thought the SO win was emotional just because it was a win. We didn't win a SO all year, and Hogberg had a bunch of combined SO and OT losses.
I was under the impression he was either crying or really emotional with the win, it seems a couple times he put his head on shoulders of teammates.

Last edited:

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Maybe someone can clear something up for me... the expansion draft is for 2+ year pros, not just NHLers, but AHL pros too, right? So all our goalies will be subject to it? That's what I seem to recall from the last one.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
Maybe someone can clear something up for me... the expansion draft is for 2+ year pros, not just NHLers, but AHL pros too, right? So all our goalies will be subject to it? That's what I seem to recall from the last one.

None of our current NHL/AHL goalies will be exempt. They can select any of the following goalies who go unproteccted; Hogberg, Daccord, Gustavsson, Nilsson, or Anderson. That is assuming we re-sign Nilsson or Anderson and they aren't free agents or with other teams.

according to Cap Friendly. I think one exposed goalie has to be under contract for the 21-22 season. fine print
Seattle Expansion Draft Simulator - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Teams are allowed to expose an RFA to meet the requirements for goalies. They don't need term, they just can't be a UFA. The only hitch is that we need to qualify the goalie we expose prior to submitting our list. It seems like whoever is the best of Hogberg/Gustavsson/Daccord will be protected, and at least one of them will then be exposed to meet the exposure requirements.

We shouldn't have an issue with meeting the exposure requirements in goal. I could see us maybe trading one of the three to hedge against the draft, but not two of the three.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Always liked Hogberg, wrote about him a few times during development & rookie tournaments, nice to see him having such a good season, but it's still too early to know what his future will be like. I imagine next season will be a better indicator if this is the goalie of the future for this team or not. I like Daccord too, he looks like he could be an interesting player & potential future backup. But the best way to assure a future #1 goalie is to draft one & one of the best in yrs is available this draft in Askarov. Ottawa seems to have a decent number of good goalies in their system & have an opportunity to add another potential #1.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad