Silver Seven The Era of Marcus Hogberg Has Begun

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Hogberg has been the surprise of the season, no doubt. I didn't even really consider him a prospect at the start of the year. Now, after Nilsson had a great year interrupted (ended?) with an unfortunate injury, he may have stolen the #1 job.

Goalies are up and down so I'd want to see how he does next year but for sure Hogberg has positioned himself as an NHL goalie in Ottawa next year. He may be our guy or maybe just a backup but neither of those seemed possible at the start of the year.

Reactions: Smeddy

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I like all 5 of our prospect goalies Hog, JD, Gus, Mads and KM. Any could become a #1, of course they could all bust.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I don't like to buy into a goalie until I see their 2nd full year in the NHL. Season one, teams don't have the book on you yet, but by season 2, shooters know your tendencies and try to exploit them. Raycroft fooled many with his calder win. We bit hard on Hammond, lets wait and see with Hogberg.

thinkwild

Veni Vidi Toga
Jul 29, 2003
Ottawa
Those lava lamp heat maps are an interesting way of looking at the data. He has been a surprise. The competition in our goaltending ranks is filling me with a little hope.

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
He's projecting as a potential starter down the road. Dragging this sorry ass team kicking and screaming to overtime as frequently as he has done does not go unnoticed. He's performing about average according to xG models, however I think with a stronger defense group in front of him(or rather just a stronger team really) those numbers will improve. His athleticism & size have always been his prevalent features since coming over to NA for me, and his rebound control/positioning have both improved significantly now that he has had consistent time with Pierre Groulx by the looks of it.

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
I didn't have any expectations for him, thought his style was a bit odd looking at first, but he has been a really solid goalie so far, could be very good for the future.

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
If I am being honest, I am not completely sold on Hogberg being a starting goalie in this league. He is definitely an NHL goalie, but I see him as a back up who can buffer as a starter if a team's #1 goalie is injured.

My opinion can change of course, but I would have to see how he does next season to get a better idea of what type of goalie he can be long-term.

I am actually more confident that Daccord will be the better goalie in the future as he seems to excel in every league he has ever played.

Reactions: DrEasy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Sens Goalie situation vs the Seattle Expansion draft.
If I had to guess I would guess the Sens lose a goalie. We have 4 goalies all of which are eligible to be exposed. We can protect 1.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Gustavsson's stock has fallen amongst pundits it feels like.
Daccord passed him on the depth chart imo and not surprising he did imo.
Gus struggles with consistency right now.
Daccord needs a contract at the end of the year . Gus has 1 more year.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
He's projecting as a potential starter down the road. Dragging this sorry ass team kicking and screaming to overtime as frequently as he has done does not go unnoticed. He's performing about average according to xG models, however I think with a stronger defense group in front of him(or rather just a stronger team really) those numbers will improve. His athleticism & size have always been his prevalent features since coming over to NA for me, and his rebound control/positioning have both improved significantly now that he has had consistent time with Pierre Groulx by the looks of it.

Isn't the whole point of the xG models supposed to be to account for the quality of team and isolate the contribution of the goalie?

toxic poster

Dec 24, 2017
Queen's
Isn't the whole point of the xG models supposed to be to account for the quality of team and isolate the contribution of the goalie?
It is, yes. However goalies behind good defense teams(not necessarily the best goalies) consistenly outperform their xG. I'm of the opinion for many years now that it's either due to inherent noise in hockey or a structural error in the design of what information is currently available.

MatchesMalone

Formerly Innocent Bystander
Aug 29, 2010
It is, yes. However goalies behind good defense teams(not necessarily the best goalies) consistenly outperform their xG. I'm of the opinion for many years now that it's either due to inherent noise in hockey or a structural error in the design of what information is currently available.

Interesting. I can't get my head around quite what "inherent noise" would mean. It has to be a flaw in the model; of course there are going to be some things missing.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa

Roadhog_thumbsup.0.png

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Looking good so far. Seems to be improving as he gets more starts.

But a bit tricky to really gauge as we're not in any meaningful games this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad