Newsday: The era of Charles Wang is over

Bert Marshall days

Oct 31, 2006
image.JPG

THANK YOU CHARLES B. WANG FOR SAVING NYI AND KEEPING THEM IN NY! (along with Barclays Center)

WANG IS THE HERO & SAVIOR OF NYI!!!

Those who disagree are in denial and wrong just as they've been wrong about most things.

The fact NYI won a playoff round and came close to winning 2 in BROOKLYN and have been competitive only because of more money in BROOKLYN proves the problem wasn't Wang it was nassau all along and the lack of money there for NYI and the crummy arena/bad lease. As soon as NYI got more money NYI won with Wang. Nassau held NYI back for 20 years not Wang.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Here's the thing...

How could Snow be "hamstring" to keep Capuano (who cannot make more than 1-2M/year), but yet be free to hand out 4+ million/year contracts to Kulemin, Grabovski, and massive offers to Vanek, Ryan Smyth, etc? Take any of that money and put it towards a real coach and we'd have one...IF Snow allowed it.

Snow was hamstrung, but not to capuano. He wants/needs him there. That or he's not nearly as shrewd as many paint him to be.

Did you know they have several websites like fanager,but for head coaches and how much they make? One I found even had a chart using cost vs team corsi. These sites do not know how much Cappy makes. They had a little more than half the teams. Cappy is not listed on any of their sites. We both know why. I am guessing $500K, tops.

He is here because he is cheap. The cheap coach part is on Wang. Capuano the friend of Snow part is on Snow. Weight is on Wang.

Now they are all on Ledecky and Malkin. I sure hope they spend more than their coffee budget on a new coach sometime really soon.

BTW, look above. The guy who swore up and down that Wang didn't close the purse shows up for more mindless propaganda. I wonder if he can admit he was wrong? Didn't think so. And for the record they got more money AFTER the new owners were in place like many of us said would be the only chance of that happening.

Hahhaha!

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I could totally see Capuano making like 60K a season and paying his own plane ticket. I just can't see them being cheap with Weight who is well respected around the league.... he would never take that.

As far as Wang goes, I've got mixed feelings. For one, it's obvious to me why he got involved with the Islanders in the first place.... and it's the same story as pretty much every other owner we've had. It was all about the land deal. That said, he left the Islanders in much better shape than any owner we've ever had and as cheap as he was.... he never sent a player packing purely over money. He definitely left his mark on the NHL and the man will never get credit for it. Ice Girls.... the way contracts are structured.... reaching out to Asia.... even the streaming service the NHL now uses was started by him.

ThreeLeftSkates

Nov 20, 2008
He definitely left his mark on the NHL and the man will never get credit for it. Ice Girls.... the way contracts are structured.... reaching out to Asia.... even the streaming service the NHL now uses was started by him.
In ten years, every goalie will also be a Sumo Wrestler, as long as the seasons do not overlap.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
Here's the thing...

How could Snow be "hamstring" to keep Capuano (who cannot make more than 1-2M/year), but yet be free to hand out 4+ million/year contracts to Kulemin, Grabovski, and massive offers to Vanek, Ryan Smyth, etc? Take any of that money and put it towards a real coach and we'd have one...IF Snow allowed it.

Snow was hamstrung, but not to capuano. He wants/needs him there. That or he's not nearly as shrewd as many paint him to be.

I don't think it's a coincidence that Smyth Vanek etc. we're nothing more than offers. Kulemin/Grabovski were after the new owners had signed on.

Also, the coaches salary doesn't count towards the cap floor. That's probably the biggest reason.

LetsGoIslanders

Mar 6, 2005
NYC
image.JPG

THANK YOU CHARLES B. WANG FOR SAVING NYI AND KEEPING THEM IN NY! (along with Barclays Center)

WANG IS THE HERO & SAVIOR OF NYI!!!

Those who disagree are in denial and wrong just as they've been wrong about most things.

The fact NYI won a playoff round and came close to winning 2 in BROOKLYN and have been competitive only because of more money in BROOKLYN proves the problem wasn't Wang it was nassau all along and the lack of money there for NYI and the crummy arena/bad lease. As soon as NYI got more money NYI won with Wang. Nassau held NYI back for 20 years not Wang.

You are correct. Wang is an imperfect hero, but this team would be in Seattle/Portland/Kansas City if it wasn't for Wang. No one else wanted this team on Long Island in the Coliseum.

We wouldn't have seen John Tavares win a game in 2OT in New York had it not been for Chuck and Gary Bettman.

Last edited:

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
You are correct. Wang is an imperfect hero, but this team would be in Seattle/Portland/Kansas City if it wasn't for Wang. No one else wanted this team on Long Island in the Coliseum.

We wouldn't have seen John Tavares win a game in 2OT in New York had it not been for Chuck and Gary Bettman.

We don't know any of this to be remotely true.

What we do know is Wang is and was and always will be a ****** owner.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad