Newsday: The era of Charles Wang is over

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
For all the crap he gets from us fans, he really is the only reason why we didn't move out of the area 15 years ago. we owe him thanks for that at least. he also very easily could have just sold the team to someone who wanted nothing to do with keeping them in the area but he didn't. brooklyn isn't ideal, but it's better than KC for sure.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Good riddance. The dumb **** who let Mike Milbury continue to run the team into the ground, give those 2 dumb contracts to Yashin an DiPietro, running off a polished executive like Neil Smith in less than 2 months because he was enamored with his backup goalie's business acumen, putting his team on a college radio station, and basically deciding not ice competitive teams once the referendum failed is gone and I couldn't be happier about that.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
For the first time, Charles Wang admitted that general manager Garth Snow’s hands were tied for many years when it came to trying to lure high-priced free agents. In his final interview as majority owner, Wang praised his GM for doing well despite the challenges.
“Don’t forget the constraints he was working under,â€
Wang told Newsday on Wednesday from the team’s practice facility at Eisenhower Park. “We weren’t a big team. It’s not like we were in Brooklyn, where we could get more revenue. But it’s worth it, every minute of it. He’s a hell of a general manager.â€
“My problem is I stick with things too long sometimes,†said Wang. “I went with another general manager but I picked Garth first. And at the last minute, I chickened out. Because everybody was hounding me — this guy, that guy, he has this experience. But I thought, they’re all part of the same club. They just rotate around the league, it seems. I wanted another way of thinking.
“And I thought, ‘Who would know the game up close?’ He saw the game as a player. And I love the man. That’s the guy. But at the last minute, I thought if I bring him in, a backup goalie as my general manager, I’m going to get laughed out of town. I can’t do it.â€
After Smith and Pat LaFontaine, who was a senior advisor to Wang, came and went, Wang ended up back with Snow, who has had full autonomy on hockey decisions and is entering his 11th season running the club. Wang had a hand in the 15-year contract for goaltender Rick DiPietro, as he did in the 10-year contract given to center Alexei Yashin a few years earlier.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hocke...ng-praises-islanders-gm-garth-snow-1.11991310

Finally some proof of what many of us suspected for a long time. Let's just hope the new owners open the purse strings.

Quicklime

Sep 25, 2006
Denver, CO
Finally some proof of what many of us suspected for a long time. Let's just hope the new owners open the purse strings.

I feel vindicated reading it. I'll even give Wang a nod for admitting it IMMEDIATELY in the process of his exit.

Now, with Ladd on the horizon, let's see what the man can do with the lid off.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
The guy gave not 1 **** about the team. It was all about the property. He had MMM run the team into the ground and EVERYONE knew it. He and MMM set this team back a decade and anyone who denies this or makes excuses for him should feel as crooked as his books. **** him, **** Milbury!

Milbury was awful, but boy has any GM ever had the amount of crappy owners to work for he did? :laugh:

But (hopefully) crappy ownership is over now...time to fire Crapuano! lol

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Hate to say it but I sort of see Wang's point about NHL execs/coaches/GM's at that time being an old boys club who just rotate the same bodies around the league constantly. Not saying Snow was some stroke of genius by any means, but the NHL was in bad need of some form of innovation at the time. Now you're finally starting to see this with the influx of fresh blood from the analytics community and the hiring of GM's like Chayka in Arizona.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Hate to say it but I sort of see Wang's point about NHL execs/coaches/GM's at that time being an old boys club who just rotate the same bodies around the league constantly. Not saying Snow was some stroke of genius by any means, but the NHL was in bad need of some form of innovation at the time. Now you're finally starting to see this with the influx of fresh blood from the analytics community and the hiring of GM's like Chayka in Arizona.

Because Arizona has been so successful?

The right way to do it is by having a guy learn the ropes before giving them a shot, and not re-inventing the wheel...Yzerman is doing one hell of a job.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

The Islanders have become just that. An old boys club lead by Garth Snow and the rest of the Maine Mafia.

OlTimeHockey

Dec 5, 2003
home
For all the crap he gets from us fans, he really is the only reason why we didn't move out of the area 15 years ago. we owe him thanks for that at least. he also very easily could have just sold the team to someone who wanted nothing to do with keeping them in the area but he didn't. brooklyn isn't ideal, but it's better than KC for sure.
Well, that....the cable deal and the lease that was iron clad....yeah.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I feel vindicated reading it. I'll even give Wang a nod for admitting it IMMEDIATELY in the process of his exit.

Now, with Ladd on the horizon, let's see what the man can do with the lid off.

I immediately thought of you when I read this. Hi fives, and how many naive or nefarious posters did we argue with? Crazy.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
I immediately thought of you when I read this. Hi fives, and how many naive or nefarious posters did we argue with? Crazy.

Where are all those posters who wrote "Snow said he had no restrictions, so I believe him"?

If it walks like a duck......

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
Where are all those posters who wrote "Snow said he had no restrictions, so I believe him"?

Yeah, I never bought that line. Any team that trades for a player who doesn't play anymore in order to meet the cap floor CLEARLY has restrictions.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

We were at the floor for years, or technically below due to Ricky and insurance money back to Wang But they were like, "I see NOTHING! I hear NOTHING!"

You couldn't get them to admit water was wet at that point. Lol

MYIslanders

Oct 4, 2014
Wet is an adjective. [1] If something simply "consists of water" it is not "wet" it is merely water. Water does not consist of water, water merely is water.

consist - to be made up or composed (usually followed by of) This cake consists mainly of sugar, flour, andbutter. [2]

The cake does not consist of cake. The cake consists of something else. In the same way water does not consist of water. Water is water. Other things such as soda, water balloons, mixtures can consist of water however water itself is not consisting of itself.

That being said, since the definition of consist is not something used to define axioms (water is water therefore water consists of water is not the proper use of the word) water cannot consist of itself and therefore, does not fit the definition of wet because water cannot consist of itself. It is the wrong use of the word consist.

Again to reiterate. I consist of water, cells, tissue, organs etc. I DO NOT CONSIST OF HUMAN. I am human but do not consist of human. Water consists of hydrogen and oxygen but it does not consist of water. Therefore, water is not wet because it does not consist of water.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Wet is an adjective. [1] If something simply "consists of water" it is not "wet" it is merely water. Water does not consist of water, water merely is water.

consist - to be made up or composed (usually followed by of) This cake consists mainly of sugar, flour, andbutter. [2]

The cake does not consist of cake. The cake consists of something else. In the same way water does not consist of water. Water is water. Other things such as soda, water balloons, mixtures can consist of water however water itself is not consisting of itself.

That being said, since the definition of consist is not something used to define axioms (water is water therefore water consists of water is not the proper use of the word) water cannot consist of itself and therefore, does not fit the definition of wet because water cannot consist of itself. It is the wrong use of the word consist.

Again to reiterate. I consist of water, cells, tissue, organs etc. I DO NOT CONSIST OF HUMAN. I am human but do not consist of human. Water consists of hydrogen and oxygen but it does not consist of water. Therefore, water is not wet because it does not consist of water.

That is exactly the kind of argument it would devolve into. If Chuck axe murdered Garf they would have defended it by saying technically the axe killed Garf, not Chuck. They might even suggest Garf threw himself in front of the axe 47 times.

It was numbing to the mind to have a discussion with people who would not admit to the obvious truth.

Btw, the definition of wet is "covered or saturated with water or another liquid." Water can be covered with itself. It always is unless you are talking about 1 molecule. :P

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Hah, I just read this from the article http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/charles-wang-praises-islanders-gm-garth-snow-1.11991310
“Sure,†he said. “It was when Milbury looked at me when I asked him, ‘What do you guys do at halftime?’ I’d gone to two hockey games in my life, never made it past the second period. I didn’t have any idea. I remember that so vividly.

LOL. That's been the guiding hand behind the scenes. What do you do at half time? Gtfo...

Another note, Since Wang finally copped to Garth working under a tight budget, can we all just admit Capuano is here because he is one cheap coach? We are talking about a guy who does not maximize all the tricks and tools of a real NHL level head coach, but someone who, for example, had to learn on the job how and when to use the timeout, or pulling a goaltender, etc?

He was brought in to save money and that is it. The new owners need to bring a real NHL coach in somehow.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Hah, I just read this from the article http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/islanders/charles-wang-praises-islanders-gm-garth-snow-1.11991310

LOL. That's been the guiding hand behind the scenes. What do you do at half time? Gtfo...

Another note, Since Wang finally copped to Garth working under a tight budget, can we all just admit Capuano is here because he is one cheap coach? We are talking about a guy who does not maximize all the tricks and tools of a real NHL level head coach, but someone who, for example, had to learn on the job how and when to use the timeout, or pulling a goaltender, etc?

He was brought in to save money and that is it. The new owners need to bring a real NHL coach in somehow.

Then I'll give Garth the benefit of the doubt on being hamstrung to keep Capuano here so far. The question is, does Cappy survive an extended losing streak as he did in the past? I pray he doesn't.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Then I'll give Garth the benefit of the doubt on being hamstrung to keep Capuano here so far. The question is, does Cappy survive an extended losing streak as he did in the past? I pray he doesn't.

Here's the thing...

How could Snow be "hamstring" to keep Capuano (who cannot make more than 1-2M/year), but yet be free to hand out 4+ million/year contracts to Kulemin, Grabovski, and massive offers to Vanek, Ryan Smyth, etc? Take any of that money and put it towards a real coach and we'd have one...IF Snow allowed it.

Snow was hamstrung, but not to capuano. He wants/needs him there. That or he's not nearly as shrewd as many paint him to be.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Here's the thing...

How could Snow be "hamstring" to keep Capuano (who cannot make more than 1-2M/year), but yet be free to hand out 4+ million/year contracts to Kulemin, Grabovski, and massive offers to Vanek, Ryan Smyth, etc? Take any of that money and put it towards a real coach and we'd have one...IF Snow allowed it.

Snow was hamstrung, but not to capuano. He wants/needs him there. That or he's not nearly as shrewd as many paint him to be.

Those contracts were given out after the move to Brooklyn was announced and money seemed to flow a little more freely. By that time we'd been to the playoffs once and Snow took the heat for not improving the goaltending and defense after missing the playoffs in 2014. Once he took the onus off Capuano Snow wasn't going to fire him that year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad