Post-Game Talk: The End in the End (Flames def. Canucks 6-2 (Horvat, Miller))

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
It's an odd time in that because of Covid-19 I doubt the Aquilinis are interacting directly with the fans much at all.

You can imagine that if there had been arena-wide "Fire Benning" or "#$%^ Aquilini" chants in the building the last few games the realization of how much Fans ire had turned against the organization would be much higher.

True but they must be at least somewhat aware of social media and the actual media, how their franchise is perceived nationally now. If not, it is worse than we thought.

Reactions: mossey3535

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
But you don’t throw away your 60+ point second year d-man on the hope a similarly aged youngster with 8 career games is going to carry that mail.

I get that Hughes has had a really tough time defensively. But this is very similar to the Boeser talk the previous year. What Hughes needs is a coaching staff that can teach players and coach an actual system.

Also...4 more please Calgary. Always amazes me how many Canucks are just watching a guy score (Boyd, Chatfield on that last one) Opponents don’t even need to battle for it.

Colorado traded their proven 60 point PP weapon in Tyson Barrie before Cale Makar had even played a regular season game - worked out well for them. Obviously the circumstances aren't identical but I guess I'm just extremely bullish on Rathbone and think that if the right offer is made for Hughes, you should at least consider it. If he continues to be poor defensively going forward, his trade value will only diminish from a place where it is sky high right now.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Demko, Hoglander and lately Rathbone.....rays of light in a dismal season.

Rathbone's game is surging forward right before our eyes.....he was all over the ice tonight. He's a force already in the offensive zone. Just a real shame that he didn't play every game this year.

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006

Rathbone's game is surging forward right before our eyes.....he was all over the ice tonight. He's a force already in the offensive zone. Just a real shame that he didn't play every game this year.
Boeser as well. He had a decent bounce back season that he can hopefully carry over to next season.

Reactions: BenningHurtsMySoul

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016

Too bad we couldn't get a game or 2 for Woo. His development would be huge in terms of team needs.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
It’s finally over!
Enjoyed interacting with all of you and reading your views. A special shout out to those of you who managed to keep your sense of humour through an especially brutal season. And in particular to Ginger Papa who gave me more laughs than I can count in the Game Day Thread. And Orcatown for his insightful comments after every game.
Now on to the draft!

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'd move Hughes for the right deal - and I mean the right deal.

Would need a top line U25 winger and a solid pick to make it worth it.

Wonder if the Hawks would entertain DeBrincat.

Last edited:
Reactions: clay

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Qu4xIbV.png

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021

They need to be reliable when defending first. Colecting points on PP while you need to be sheltered on 5v5 does not impress me. I now undertand why Jimbo is still here after 7 years. You guys are easy to impress. First Brock, Petey, Hughes and now Hog and Rathbone. Every team that sucked for 5-6 years has players like that. Considering we are in a high scoring era, the numbers are not that good. None of them is a gamebreaker. I still hope Petey becomes one but he is kind of frail. The calder finalist does not mean squat. Myers won it in 2010 and look at him now.

If we run with this defence next year, we are finishing bottom 5. Harmonic is not taking another cheap contract and Edler needs to take a big paycut. I don't get where the hope comes from.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
You're gunna be following the Canucks every step of the way. I've seen plenty of these "quitters" after 2011 and beyond.

Give me a break.

There are a pile of posters/former posters on this board who have quit watching or barely watch.

I gave zero shits about the on-ice results this year. Missed more games than I've ever missed in my life. Don't care about where we draft. The only thing that I was still emotionally invested in was seeing Jim Benning fired into space to create an environment I could enjoy again. With that not happening, I'm probably not going to continue wasting my time on this team.

If this team has different ownership and management in 5 years, of course I'd re-evaluate.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Colorado traded their proven 60 point PP weapon in Tyson Barrie before Cale Makar had even played a regular season game - worked out well for them. Obviously the circumstances aren't identical but I guess I'm just extremely bullish on Rathbone and think that if the right offer is made for Hughes, you should at least consider it. If he continues to be poor defensively going forward, his trade value will only diminish from a place where it is sky high right now.

Apples and oranges. Tyson Barrie was 27/28 year old soon to be UFA and completely known quantity unlikely to make substantial improvements to his game. Not a 21 year old d-man who in his rookie season put up numbers like a young Brian Leetch (not saying his career will be the same!)

Now of course you can trade anyone for the proper price but it’s not something you actively look to do with a player his caliber and age given the blueline is the weakest part of the team.

Reactions: canuckking1

vanarchy

May 3, 2013
There are a pile of posters/former posters on this board who have quit watching or barely watch.

I gave zero shits about the on-ice results this year. Missed more games than I've ever missed in my life. Don't care about where we draft. The only thing that I was still emotionally invested in was seeing Jim Benning fired into space to create an environment I could enjoy again. With that not happening, I'm probably not going to continue wasting my time on this team.

If this team has different ownership and management in 5 years, of course I'd re-evaluate.
That's alright. Apathy and jumping ship are two different things to me.

I hate this situation just as much as anyone else but I know I'll be here regardless. Yes, that's sad but it is what it is.

Reactions: RussianRacket

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
And there's plenty of newer posters despite the fact that the forum format is archaic.

I get you want the dramatic "I'M OUT!" last word and door slam but few people in real life are going to take heed.

New accounts =\= new posters

Reactions: I am toxic

BrilliantBroReferee

May 18, 2021
And there's plenty of newer posters despite the fact that the forum format is archaic.

I get you want the dramatic "I'M OUT!" last word and door slam but few people in real life are going to take heed.
I doubt they are really out. I think they won't care untill Jimbo is gone. Also, blind support is not good. We are canucks fans, not cult followers.

You seem to support an incompetent GM, who destroyed the club's reputation, while you hate the previous GM, who brought us unprecedented success. Something doesn't add up.

TheOtherGM

Jan 8, 2007
My interest may wane, as it did this year when I don't think I watched a single game front to back, but I'll be a Canucks fan till the day I die.

Reactions: RussianRacket

TraderJim

Um.. like.. you know
Apr 18, 2006
That's alright. Apathy and jumping ship are two different things to me.

I hate this situation just as much as anyone else but I know I'll be here regardless. Yes, that's sad but it is what it is.
This whole situation is akin to being a cigarette smoker. I'm not going to shit on someone who quits smoking or finds a healthier alternative. Maybe you don't like it because it reminds you that you are still a smoker?

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
This whole situation is akin to being a cigarette smoker. I'm not going to shit on someone who quits smoking or finds a healthier alternative. Maybe you don't like it because it reminds you that you are still a smoker?
Smoking is destructive for your health and is now considered socially unpleasant. If you're a fan of anything that makes it as destructive to your life as smoking, then you have serious issues. Poor analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad