Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Elvis Merzlikins builds trust with Columbus Blue Jackets' goalies coach - Sports - The Columbus Dispatch - Columbus, OH

Pretty good read and insight on the kid.

"I heard he had a big chip on his shoulder and a big ego, and it's not true at all," Legace said. "Not even one bit. It's mistaken for competitiveness. That's what it's mistaken for. He's just an unbelievable human being. He treats everybody like gold."
There is an alter ego, but Legace doesn't think it's an issue.
"He's highly competitive," Legace said. "And he's going to rub some people the wrong way, because he's that highly competitive — just like Patrick Roy. He rubbed people the wrong way, too, so when I heard, 'He's got ego and this and that,' I'm like, 'It's competitiveness. That's what he's got.'"
Merzlikins also has a new friend, not to mention a new set of golf clubs.

Reactions: Viqsi

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
So is he going to be backup in Columbus? Veini starter in Cleveland?

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Elvis will take over the #1 job. I don't see Korpi as a starter.

I tend to think that Torts will give Elvis every opportunity to take that job and I tend to think that Elvis will do well enough to take it over. Having said that, Elvis will actually have to perform and Korps will have to not perform.

Neither are preordained.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Elvis will take over the #1 job. I don't see Korpi as a starter.

Can you explain WHY?? Can anybody?

The, "1 guy has potential, the other doesn't", isn't enough for me, sorry.

We have NO IDEA how Merzlikins will be able to handle NHL players/shooters. How good do people think Korpisalo would have looked playing in the Swiss league recently, instead of playing 2-3 games a month against the best players in the world? The World C's where only a few teams are "full" of NHLers isn't enough to get a real idea of what we have in Merzlikins.

Prepare for Korpisalo to steal the show.

Reactions: Cyclones Rock

Sep 8, 2013
Toronto Nebula

The, "1 guy has potential, the other doesn't", isn't enough for me, sorry.

We have NO IDEA how Merzlikins will be able to handle NHL players/shooters. How good do people think Korpisalo would have looked playing in the Swiss league recently, instead of playing 2-3 games a month against the best players in the world? The World C's where only a few teams are "full" of NHLers isn't enough to get a real idea of what we have in Merzlikins.

Prepare for Korpisalo to steal the show.
It's more of a hope in the new guy, based on his stats in other leagues, because the old guy has disappointed in the NHL.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005

It's called hype; didn't realize it would invoke surprise nor needed an explanation.

I'll be honest, I've been waiting for him for 3 or 4 years now. What I saw back then I liked and I tend to think he'll do very well - sooner rather than later.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008

This is the proper analysis for Merzlikins. The idea that anyone but the most experienced scout or a pro coach would have a meaningful opinion about this guy is laughable.

Last edited:

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I tend to think that Torts will give Elvis every opportunity to take that job and I tend to think that Elvis will do well enough to take it over. Having said that, Elvis will actually have to perform and Korps will have to not perform.

Neither are preordained.

I agree nothing is preordained but I tend to lean the other way regarding how things shake out between the goalies. My guess is Torts goes with a 2-1 split favoring Korp to start.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I agree nothing is preordained but I tend to lean the other way regarding how things shake out between the goalies. My guess is Torts goes with a 2-1 split favoring Korp to start.

To start is different than week 4 obviously. Torts tends to enjoy forgetting that Korp exists after a while.

I give Korp the nod to start the season as the #1. That will probably last as long as it takes for Korp to have 2 or 3 bad games in a row.

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
To start is different than week 4 obviously. Torts tends to enjoy forgetting that Korp exists after a while.

I give Korp the nod to start the season as the #1. That will probably last as long as it takes for Korp to have 2 or 3 bad games in a row.

Yeah I’m not gonna predict who’s gonna ‘emerge’ or ‘win’ the job and yeah Torts will change his approach as needed. Just what I expect to start is all.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Yeah I’m not gonna predict who’s gonna ‘emerge’ or ‘win’ the job and yeah Torts will change his approach as needed. Just what I expect to start is all.

I'm mainly just following my observation of Torts to be honest. He's actually fairly predictable.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Why can’t VV and Korpisalo be an option to start the season?

VV is going to start in Cleveland as he's the only one of the three goalies who is eligible to go to the minors. I think Elvis can too, but he has already refused assignment.

Korpisalo enters camp as the #1 in most peoples eyes. But some people don't expect that to stick.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
VV is going to start in Cleveland as he's the only one of the three goalies who is eligible to go to the minors. I think Elvis can too, but he has already refused assignment.

Korpisalo enters camp as the #1 in most peoples eyes. But some people don't expect that to stick.
Elvis is on a 1 way deal. He gets paid NHL money if he's in the AHL or not. His NHL salary is more than he made in the Swiss league. I don't think he's going anywhere.

Did Rangers fans panic like this when Henrik Lundqvist came over from Europe and didn't play in the AHL? We are still a month away from the regular season beginning. Everyone should unclench their b holes and let the competition happen. No reason to panic until we are 3 weeks into the season and everyone has a GAA over 3.00.

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
Everyone should unclench their b holes and let the competition happen. No reason to panic until we are 3 weeks into the season and everyone has a GAA over 3.00.

Perhaps we can rephrase in a way that isn't quite so uncouth? Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm not panicked. I'm a little annoyed we're running with this combo, but it's too late to worry about now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad