Player Discussion: The Elvis Thread

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
Honestly, this is what I've been waiting for. I've thought for a while he's out future in goal, I hope he performs.

Korp is an RFA, wonder if the FO considers him part of the core moving forward.

I would imagine Jarmo is looking at all options out there. I could see him trading Korpi to a team like Toronto (or any other team who has a need for a better backup) to recoup some draft picks and sign a veteran (Kinkaid?) to a 1-year deal. I could also see him being comfortable with an Elvis/Korpi tandem going into next season.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
Columbus' GM Jarmo Kekalainen said that most likely Merzlikins and Korpisalo will be splitting ice time next season and competing for a starter role unless there is an unexpected change of plans. Can't find the article but it was translated in a Latvian sports news site.
Pretty frickin cool, let's go Elvis! :0

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
I don't believe that management has much faith in Korpisalo as a starter. He was given ample opportunity to win the job this season and failed. His career numbers (2.89 GAA and 90.7% save) scream back up-at best.

I don't have a clue as to whom will start the majority of CBJ games in net next season, but I'd be very surprised if it's #70.

Last edited:
Reactions: JohnnyJacket13

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Columbus' GM Jarmo Kekalainen said that most likely Merzlikins and Korpisalo will be splitting ice time next season and competing for a starter role unless there is an unexpected change of plans. Can't find the article but it was translated in a Latvian sports news site.
Pretty frickin cool, let's go Elvis! :0
I think the same was basically stated in an article on the Athletic. I'm all for giving Elvis his opportunity.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
I think the same was basically stated in an article on the Athletic. I'm all for giving Elvis his opportunity.
I am really happy for him and hope he finds his place in the NHL, he is given an excellent opportunity and for a good reason.
Honestly, from how I have seen him perform, my impression is that he is incredibly talented and, especially, reliable, which is very important for a goalie. He is one of those goalies you will trust being in the net and feel confident with him, which is psychologically important for the players on the ice too.
I just hope he is suitable for this league. Columbus, this is either a blessing or a curse.

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I don't believe that management has much faith in Korpisalo as a starter. He was given ample opportunity to win the job this season and failed. His career numbers (2.89 GAA and 90.7% save) scream back up-at best.

I don't have a clue as to whom will start the majority of CBJ games in net next season, but I'd be very surprised if it's #70.

Most of that is opinion. The bolded is simply untrue.

Even being able to look over his game log, explain to me when these "ample opportunities" occurred.

Joonas Korpisalo | Columbus Blue Jackets | National Hockey League | Yahoo! Sports

Only thing I can remember and see is the 1st period of the Detroit game in late Oct, after he was "declared" the starter for that 1 game and then his few following starts in Nov that werent that great.

When/where were all these opportunities?

Elvis will be the backup but will probably actually be given a legitimate chance to REALLY become the "starter".

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I am really happy for him and hope he finds his place in the NHL, he is given an excellent opportunity and for a good reason.
Honestly, from how I have seen him perform, my impression is that he is incredibly talented and, especially, reliable, which is very important for a goalie. He is one of those goalies you will trust being in the net and feel confident with him, which is psychologically important for the players on the ice too.
I just hope he is suitable for this league. Columbus, this is either a blessing or a curse.
I’m just a huge fan of his compete level. He reminds me of Patrick Roy in the fact you can tell he hates to lose. We need people like that.

AndrewGaze

Apr 5, 2013
I’m just a huge fan of his compete level. He reminds me of Patrick Roy in the fact you can tell he hates to lose. We need people like that.
Absolutely, personality-wise he is very invested in the game and often emotional, you can feel his presence on the ice.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Is there any possibility of keeping three goalies on the roster? Perhaps it's a waste of a roster spot, and perhaps the goalies just won't like sharing it that much. But I think Merzlikins and Korpisalo both deserve a shot, and it would also be great if we still had a veteran guy like Kinkaid around. Not that Kinkaid's performance would be any more predictable, he's been very up and down, but he's a good voice and a good option.

I'm not writing off Korpisalo yet. And I'm not going to compare his save percentages straight across with those of other goalies in other systems. Ours was not goalie friendly. He's more or less on the same level to me as Merzlikins and Kinkaid are, in that you don't know what you are going to get. There's about 40 or 50 goalies in the league like that, with maybe half of them playing at starter quality in a given year.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Just knowing that he won't have to "compete" with Bob for a spot could do wonders for his state of mind. Knowing there's a spot up for grabs, one he's been waiting on for years now and knowing there's someone coming to try and take it from him could spark a resurgence from Korpi.

But Elvis is just as if not more hungry for that spot and could just as easily steal it from him.

Let the games begin.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Is there any possibility of keeping three goalies on the roster? Perhaps it's a waste of a roster spot, and perhaps the goalies just won't like sharing it that much. But I think Merzlikins and Korpisalo both deserve a shot, and it would also be great if we still had a veteran guy like Kinkaid around. Not that Kinkaid's performance would be any more predictable, he's been very up and down, but he's a good voice and a good option.

I'm not writing off Korpisalo yet. And I'm not going to compare his save percentages straight across with those of other goalies in other systems. Ours was not goalie friendly. He's more or less on the same level to me as Merzlikins and Kinkaid are, in that you don't know what you are going to get. There's about 40 or 50 goalies in the league like that, with maybe half of them playing at starter quality in a given year.

Three goalies is a disaster. Look at the islanders 2-3 years ago with Berube. It’s one thing if it’s for insurance like Kinkaid was this year, but a full season doesn’t seem like a good idea.

sasquatchBob

Jul 17, 2019
Registered on this site just because of my personal excitement about Merzlikins. I'm a Latvian that has basically played hockey my whole life. Us Latvians, we're all about hockey, so I might be biased but I think in this case I'm not. I must admit that I have not seen him play in Switzerland but I've seen almost all of the games that he has participated in for Latvian national team. Let me tell you one thing - he's a player that can take the games over on his own.

Obviously you can't expect him to perform like Bobrovsky but he's special in his own way. He's a cocky goaltender that has skill to back it up. Latvian national team is not a great team compared to all of the other giants of the world of hockey, that's just a fact. But since Merzlikins has taken over the starting duties for our national team it feels like we have a chance to win every game (Big part of this is also Bob Hartley's splendid coaching). It seems like every game he's confident in his own ability to beat anyone and and in most cases it has shown to be true. I think he's the best prospect coming out of Latvia in at least 10 years. Of course you can never be sure completely, but if there's someone I would have to bet my money on - it's Elvis Merzlikins.

As a Latvian and Oilers fan I will pay close attention to your team. Best of luck to Colombus Blue Jackets and Elvis.

Also,
Check out his hit on Kevin Fiala on Youtube.

Last edited:

The Jones Zone

Nov 27, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Registered on this site just because of my personal excitement about Merzlikins. I'm a Latvian that has basically played hockey my whole life. Us Latvians, we're all about hockey, so I might be biased but I think in this case I'm not. I must admit that I have not seen him play in Switzerland but I've seen almost all of the games that he has participated in for Latvian national team. Let me tell you one thing - he's a player that can take the games over on his own.

Obviously you can't expect him to perform like Bobrovsky but he's special in his own way. He's a cocky goaltender that has skill to back it up. Latvian national team is not a great team compared to all of the other giants of the world of hockey, that's just a fact. But since Merzlikins has taken over the starting duties for our national team it feels like we have a chance to win every game (Big part of this is also Bob Hartley's splendid coaching). It seems like every game he's confident in his own ability to beat anyone and and in most cases it has shown to be true. I think he's the best prospect coming out of Latvia in at least 10 years. Of course you can never be sure completely but if there's someone I would have to be my money on - it's Elvis Merzlikins.

As a Latvian and Oilers fan I will pay close attention to your team. Best of luck to Colombus Blue Jackets and Elvis.

welcome

Ice9

Jun 25, 2016
In the woods
Kinda busy but that's not surprising considering the artist. Besides too many bumbly wasp, yellow jacket, bee things all over it it's pretty nice. I hope the wearer has great success!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad