the Dream's 2010 top 65 players

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
I'm guessing Gudbranson continues to rise. Fourth overall in the OHL draft, 6'4'', skates well, isn't soft, offensive upside, has worn the "C" for both Kingston(they rotate, but still, he's only sixteen) and Ontario's U17 team.

As I said in the other 2010 draft thread, I think Gudbranson is a guy who will end up going very high in this draft and could even be in contention for first overall next year.

His ceiling is very high and he has continued to improve throughout the season.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
the Dreams 2010 top 65 players

Just appears that your projections for Americans seem to be best case scenario (absolute upside) while others performing very well right now are given little upside. Lets put it this way, I agree with your top three, Fowler is very impressive. After the top three your #4 and #7's for example are wildly optimistic. Niether will be a top 10, write it down.;)

The Scouting Report

Oct 2, 2007
Ontario
www.thescoutingreport.org
Just appears that your projections for Americans seem to be best case scenario (absolute upside) while others performing very well right now are given little upside. Lets put it this way, I agree with your top three, Fowler is very impressive. After the top three your #4 and #7's for example are wildly optimistic. Niether will be a top 10, write it down.;)

Watson might have a chance to crack the back half of the Top 10, but yes I really can't see Jared Knight being in that group as of now.

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
Last year at this time nobody was predicting John Moore to even be drafted in the 09 draft. Now he has cracked the top 20 on some 09 draft projections and he is even ranked 8th among NA skaters.

My question, who is going to be the John Moore of the 2010 draft? Who are your predictions? and it doesn't have to be from the USHL or a defenseman neccessarily, but lets keep the Euro prospects out of this:laugh: I haven't really kept up with them

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Last year at this time nobody was predicting John Moore to even be drafted in the 09 draft. Now he has cracked the top 20 on some 09 draft projections and he is even ranked 8th among NA skaters.

My question, who is going to be the John Moore of the 2010 draft? Who are your predictions? and it doesn't have to be from the USHL or a defenseman neccessarily, but lets keep the Euro prospects out of this:laugh: I haven't really kept up with them

Mark Stone from Brandon will rise up the draft rankings

Big Winger with soft hands and he will be playing with Schenn and Glennie on the Memorial cup host. He will put up huge numbers and his draft stock will shoot up

Also

Alex Petrovic from Red Deer. Big and Mean. Getting used to that big body and will be a force

hugehockeyfan88

Sep 6, 2008
4. Austin Watson F Windsor Spitfires USA- Yes he is that good, could be next Modano. His size, wheels, hands, and shot are all comparible to Mike. He may not emulate him exactly, I know he plays with a rougher edge, but if he adds on 10 to 15 pounds, this kid is legit top 5 folks.

5. Stanislav Galiev F Indiana Ice Russia- big riser here, could challenge Kirill soon. Another one we are just starting to hear about, but the reviews are impressive. He is a legit sniper who needs to showcase his talents on even tougher competition.

7. Jared Knight F London Knights USA- next year is his turn to shine, he keeps rising. London will bank on him next season, and I feel he will deliver. Needs to get a little bigger, but his talents are lights out. Stats arent other worldly yet, but give him a chance.

I really like where you have these three.
I don't get why so many people are harping on Watson -- he is legit like you said.

Stanislav Galiev is an Alexander Semin clone IMO. His style, everything he does, looks just like Semin.

Jared Knight is getting some great experience in this year with some big name forwards on his team (I think some guy named Tavares on his team is pretty good :laugh:) I think he will be a leader for the Knights next year and may even play in the NHL right away if his scoring improoves next year. If not, a 3rd year with London is all he needs.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Waaay too many Americans on your list, should change your handle to the Dreamer:laugh: Is it all the success U.S. teams have had internationally that has given you such optimism:laugh: Just kidding, nothing wrong with being a homer! All in fun.

2010 is going to be one of the best drafts all-time for USA. I think his list is pretty good. Having guys like Moffatt, Forbort, and Salisbury so low is pretty diplomatic.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Kuznetsov is waaay better than Galiev.....has always been. He could even end up being better than Kabanov in the long run.

Kitsyn at 62?

You're missing others with potential for top 2 rounds:

Barbashev
Tarasenko
Zotov
Marchenko
Gogolev
Ilminsky
Apalkov

Taking into account the transfer agreement, you'll likely see only 2 or 3 Russians in the top 2 rounds.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
How does Watson differ from a player such as Steven Shipley at this point? Similar size and skating ability, similar numbers, with Shipley being asked to play a larger roll on his team currently. Long way to go before these arguments are settled, but it's fun to " project "

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Taking into account the transfer agreement, you'll likely see only 2 or 3 Russians in the top 2 rounds.

- Relations between NHL and KHL might improve during the next 16 months and the financial situation in Russia might play a role as well.
- This is a very good draft class for the Russians, players like Kabanov, Galiev, Kuznetsov and Kitsin are almost certain draft picks in the first two rounds, no matter what.

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
- Relations between NHL and KHL might improve during the next 16 months and the financial situation in Russia might play a role as well.
- This is a very good draft class for the Russians, players like Kabanov, Galiev, Kuznetsov and Kitsin are almost certain draft picks in the first two rounds, no matter what.

When we speak about 2-3 russians in top 2 rounds Galiev is out of discussion IMO, since he is in America already.

Now Kitsyn I feel is heavily overrated and it's far from fact that he will be in TOP 60.

Tarasenko right now looks better than him, he's a bit small though.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
When we speak about 2-3 russians in top 2 rounds Galiev is out of discussion IMO, since he is in America already.
Kabanov might play in CHL next season, so should we count 50% of him out as well?

Now Kitsyn I feel is heavily overrated and it's far from fact that he will be in TOP 60.
If you don't like Kitsin, you can replace his name with some late bloomer, it's likely that there will be one because their draft class is fairly deep. Kitsin's stats this season in KHL are 28gp 5g+2a=7p. Malkin's stats in his draft year were 33gp 3g+9a=12p and I believe that Kitsin will surpass those stats next season.

Tarasenko right now looks better than him, he's a bit small though.
Yep, I have him above Kitsin on my list, he has been better in international tournaments than Kitsin and his KHL stats are equally impressive: 36gp 6g+3a=9p.

i love staal

Oct 19, 2008
I am an American and I think that there are too many Americans in your top 30, all will have a chance to be in the first round though I doubt it. Also, Knight is way way too high. Mcfarland is actually about right, he doesn't have that high ceiling in my opinion. I doubt that Watson will go top 10, but he has that kind of talent.

Yaremchuk

Mar 19, 2008
Ottawa
I can't help but think that Hishon will go higher in the first round. Right now he's 8th in the OHL in scoring (58-33-40-73) while, for comparison purposes Hall is 56-36-44-80. Now obviously Hishon doesn't have the same physical gifts as Hall, but you also need to consider that Hall is playing with the domination that is Windsor, while Hishon is leading a decidedly mediocre Owen Sound team.
Overall, I think Hishon could be in the top-15 come 2010, particularly if he puts on some weight and continues to improve as he has so far. From watching him, he seems to just have really good offensive instincts and plays a smart game - the kind of things you can't teach or improve as easily as strength and positioning.

SFKingshomer

Aug 2, 2008
Sioux Falls
Galiev has great hands and shot but I only saw him in the USHL AS game. John Moore is in a league of his own in the USHL, he can go coast to coast at will and still plays a solid defensive game.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
Probably out on the golf course. His team got eliminated in the first round of Minnesota High School playoffs. The score was 9-3. I'd love for Joey to be as good as his stats indicate, but he won't. Unless he lights up juniors next season (which he probably won't), he's not going to be drafted AT ALL.
if he gets missed it could bite tems in the butt one day. i'm not sure how tough his competion was this year but 62 goals in 23 games is amazing. i would think someone takes a shot on him

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kabanov might play in CHL next season, so should we count 50% of him out as well?

If you don't like Kitsin, you can replace his name with some late bloomer, it's likely that there will be one because their draft class is fairly deep. Kitsin's stats this season in KHL are 28gp 5g+2a=7p. Malkin's stats in his draft year were 33gp 3g+9a=12p and I believe that Kitsin will surpass those stats next season.

Yep, I have him above Kitsin on my list, he has been better in international tournaments than Kitsin and his KHL stats are equally impressive: 36gp 6g+3a=9p.

Kabanov will most likely go to OHL, but he will be a 1st rounder regardless of where he play.

Kitsyn is overrated IMO. I know what kind of stats Malkin had, but there's no comparsion between this two really Kitsyn is not even close. He is not really dynamic and doesn't create much at all.

KHL stats don't mean much to me. It's not like Tarasenko or Kitsyn were really impact players. Espescially Kitsyn who got some lucky goals in the beginning and that was pretty much all.

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
Kitsyn is overrated IMO. I know what kind of stats Malkin had, but there's no comparsion between this two really Kitsyn is not even close. He is not really dynamic and doesn't create much at all.
Kitsin is no Malkin, that's for sure, but strong, fast and fairly skilled player that's already producing in KHL will probably go in the second round. That's my opinion.

KHL stats don't mean much to me. It's not like Tarasenko or Kitsyn were really impact players. Espescially Kitsyn who got some lucky goals in the beginning and that was pretty much all.
Stats are stats, but the fact that they are already playing with men and scoring goals in a good league like KHL a full season before their draft, must count for something.

... And I'm willing to bet that there will be at least 4 Russians in the first two rounds in 2010. If not, I will stop writing to these boards.

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
I can't help but think that Hishon will go higher in the first round. Right now he's 8th in the OHL in scoring (58-33-40-73) while, for comparison purposes Hall is 56-36-44-80. Now obviously Hishon doesn't have the same physical gifts as Hall, but you also need to consider that Hall is playing with the domination that is Windsor, while Hishon is leading a decidedly mediocre Owen Sound team.
Overall, I think Hishon could be in the top-15 come 2010, particularly if he puts on some weight and continues to improve as he has so far. From watching him, he seems to just have really good offensive instincts and plays a smart game - the kind of things you can't teach or improve as easily as strength and positioning.
Yeah, if Watson is the next Modano, Hishon is probably the next Gretzky:)
(similar size, skating and vision)

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Kitsin is no Malkin, that's for sure, but strong, fast and fairly skilled player that's already producing in KHL will probably go in the second round. That's my opinion.

Stats are stats, but the fact that they are already playing with men and scoring goals in a good league like KHL a full season before their draft, must count for something.

... And I'm willing to bet that there will be at least 4 Russians in the first two rounds in 2010. If not, I will stop writing to these boards.

Come on, that's not smart.

From Russia I think Namestnikov and Tarasenko have better chanses than Kitsyn.

Kitsyn is worse prospect than Grachev IMO. Also A bit strange why Kitsyn hasn't grown at all since the age of 15 when he was 6'2 already. Accelerate? Or passport magic in work?

Tormentor

Dec 27, 2007
Too Far
From Russia I think Namestnikov and Tarasenko have better chanses than Kitsyn.
Vladislav Namestnikov is a 2011 draft prospect.

Also A bit strange why Kitsyn hasn't grown at all since the age of 15 when he was 6'2 already. Accelerate? Or passport magic in work?
The horror stories by foreign players and coaches in Russia has left me with an impression that the use of Performance-enhancing drugs is fairly organised and widespread there, so I wouldn't be surprised if the similar substances would be in use in juniors as well. On the other hand the situation in North America is probably almost as bad, it's just not as organised and the substances are different.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad