the Dream's 2010 top 65 players

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
This is a very exciting draft coming up. We still have a ways to go, and everything looks better down the road, but in my opinion this draft looks deeper then the once mighty 2009 draft. I will post top 65 lists for 2009 and 2011 coming up soon. Why 65 players you ask??? I am just to lazy to make it 66! This is all in fun, so flame all you want, but at least I am out there making a list.

These are only projections of what I feel will happen by next years draft, so if someone isn't on the radar yet, he soon can be and vice versa. Thanks for reading, hope you enjoy.

1. Taylor Hall F Windsor Spitfires CAN--I dont see anyone near him yet, #1 no question about it. I feel he is a better overall talent then Stamkos and Tavares are. He will have plenty of competition for #1, but it is his to lose.

2. Cam Fowler D USANTDP USA- Best dman in the draft, franchise player. He can play the all around game, and does it better then anyone else. Apparently he isn't headed to the NCAA which I feel is his best move. Stud!

3. Kirill Kabanov F Spartak Moscow Russia- extremely talented F, could challenge top spot from Hall. Just starting to see more of him, but I like everything I see. He is dynamic and just adds depth to this already loaded first round.

4. Austin Watson F Windsor Spitfires USA- Yes he is that good, could be next Modano. His size, wheels, hands, and shot are all comparible to Mike. He may not emulate him exactly, I know he plays with a rougher edge, but if he adds on 10 to 15 pounds, this kid is legit top 5 folks.

5. Stanislav Galiev F Indiana Ice Russia- big riser here, could challenge Kirill soon. Another one we are just starting to hear about, but the reviews are impressive. He is a legit sniper who needs to showcase his talents on even tougher competition.

6. Brandon Gormley D Moncton Wildcats CAN-slick and smooth, keeps getting better. Could challenge Fowler by draft time for best dman, but if he looks right behind him, Merrill is breathing down his neck. Safe bet to stay top 10 until draft time.

7. Jared Knight F London Knights USA- next year is his turn to shine, he keeps rising. London will bank on him next season, and I feel he will deliver. Needs to get a little bigger, but his talents are lights out. Stats arent other worldly yet, but give him a chance.

8. John Merrill D USANTDP USA- Big, strong, smooth, all around great defender. May not put up massive amounts of points, but he can contribute at all areas. Amazing passer, but needs to use his body more. Could rise more if he starts scoring more.

9. Teemu Pulkkinen F Jokerit Helsinki Fin- Will not be confused with another Teemu..Selanne, but is a legit top 10 prospect. He has dropped a little as he was billed top 3, but he still has the offensive talent to stay in the top 10. He is putting up great numbers this year, but not earth shattering yet.

10. Mikael Granlund F Karpat Oulu Fin- extremely talented forward, who could eclipse Pulkkinen as top Fin. Some think he already has. Either way this is another top Fin that the country needs more of. He is a top sniper and an extremely gifted passer, could be a big riser come draft day.

11. John McFarland F Sudbury Wolves CAN- What a deep draft this is when McFarland doesn't make top 10. His scoring has been disapointing, as has his consistency, but rest assured the talent is there. Others may rise even more which could lead to a further drop, but I am confident in John's abilities to challenge the top 10 next year.

12. Brett Connolly F Prince George Cougars CAN- By the time the draft comes around, I may be looking back at him being 12th and go what the hell was I thinking! You could make a serious case for swapping Brett and Jared Knight, and I fully see that. Once again this just shows how deep this class really is. Not really one thing bad this kid does yet, but for some reason I see a level off effect that keeps him outside the top 10.

13. Victor Ohman F Malmo Redhawks SWE- This is the Swedes top player for the 2010 draft, and his stock keeps rising. At nearly a point a game player, Victor has showed just how talented he is at his young age. Not quit as explosive as the other top forwards, just an extremely consistent forward that scouts love to see.

14. Chase Balisy F USANTDP USA- Chase is the wildcard of the draft. Last year he was the best North American player for this draft. This year questions have arisen. If and when he goes the CHL route, I think we will see the real Chase step up. All around great play maker who needs to work very hard on consistency issues.

15. Mark Pysyk D Edmonton Oil Kings CAN- Stats aren't everything for a dman, see John Merrill for that. Mark has that all around smooth game, that steady hand, and that leadership quality that teams covet. He may not be in the elite class of dman in the draft, but he is sure as heck pretty close.

16. Stephen Johns D USANTDP USA- The manchild has the most upside of any dman in the draft. His size is awesome, he still needs to add some pounds on, but his footspeed is good, his first pass is strong, and his all around play solid. Needs to use that size better, and needs to step up and not be another "looks good because of his size" defensemen.

17. Tyler Toffoli F Ottawa 67's CAN- Tyler is putting up solid numbers this year, and probably could jump a little bit higher on the list. He has no size concerns, but not that much really stands out to me YET. Much more will be seen from these kids next year as many start to become the go to guy, Tyler will be no exception.

18. Emerson Etem F USANTDP USA- Slick, skilled, gifted winger. His stock just keeps rising. His stats are very solid at nearly a point a game pace, and the way he steps up during big time tournaments is a key sign to his character and leadership.

19. Erik Gudbranson D Kingston Frontenacs CAN- Erik is starting to get some big notice from scouts, and is climbing the ladder. I am not as high on him as others are, but I definitely see the pluses with him. He is not elite, and really is not there yet with the likes of Psysk and Merrill, but he is not that far off.

20. Ryan Martindale F Ottawa 67's CAN - Ryan is another one of those does everything good, but nothing great type player. He is an all around solid player that teams will covet because of the way they can play both sides of the ice. I don't see him climbing much higher then this, but much time left until draft time.

21. Luke Moffatt F USANTDP USA- There really is no reason why Luke shouldnt be in the top 10. He has soo much talent and skill it is sick. But when he actually shows it is the major concern. Like Balisy, Moffat could use a change to the CHL to show off his skills. Luke could either go top 5 or fall to the tail end of the second round, that is not a good thing.

22.Nick Mattson D USANTDP USA- Another from the deep crop of defenders this program is churning out. Right now is better then Johns, needs to step up his game to get close to the elite defenders.

23. Evgeny Kuznetsov F Tractor Chelyabinsk RUS- I havent seen enough of him to rate him any higher, and I really don't think he is in the league of Kabanov and Galiev yet. He could be the drafts biggest surprise for next year.

24. Stephen Silas D Belleville Bulls CAN- Another all around good defender who is just outside the main group of studs. Nothing really flashy or worrisome about his game, but not much excites either. Tail end of first round is where he will go.

25. Derek Forbort D USANTDP USA- Another big body dman that the USA is putting out this year. I am a little down on him in comparision to others, but I just dont see the huge upside that some talk about. Doesn't do anything bad, but we need to see more of him soon.

26. Jordan Weal F Regina Pats CAN- There are no questions about his offensive abilities, but size still pops up in todays game. If he had Pat Kane skills, he would be top 5, but he is not there yet. He has plenty of skill and heart, just may not have top flight talent.

27. Kevin Clare D USANTDP USA- Reminds me of Carney/Weinrich/Mitera. All great dmen, just not going to light the world on fire. Every team needs a guy like Clare in their top 4, and his leadership skills are nearly unmatched here.

28. Joey Hishon F Owen Sound Attack- CAN- Could go a little higher here, not much weight on him yet, but if he can grow a little more he could challenge even higher. Keep an eye on Joey for next season.

29. Andy Iles G Salisbury USA- This is the best class of goalies we have seen in a while, which really isn't saying much. Andy is the most talented of the bunch. He needs to start seeing more top talented teams, and yes he needs to GROW! But just because he isn't 6'2 doesn't mean he isn't the most talented goalie in this draft. Has been for the past 3 years.

30. Tyler Seguin F Plymouth Whalers CAN- There is a lot to like about Tyler, I like his skill set and what he brings to the table. Has good size, good hands, and is a very good play maker. I do not see him really rising all that much, tail end of first round is where I see him.

31. Nick Bjustad F Blaine HS USA
32. Andrew Yogan F Erie Otters USA
33. Ben Duffy F Pei Rockets CAN
34. Jack Cambell G USANTDP USA
35. Jared Tinordi D USANTDP USA
36. Daniel Krejci D HC Slavia Praha CZE
37. Justin Faulk D USANTDP USA
38. Calvin Pickard G Seattle Thunderbirds CAN
39. Nino Niederreita F HC Davos SUI
40. Jacob Fallon F USANTDP USA
41. Aaron Harstad D Stevens Point USA
42. Troy Rutkowski D Portland Winterhawks CAN
43. Ryan Spooner F Peterborough Petes CAN
44. Adam Petterson F Skelleftea AIK SWE
45. Tyler Pitlick F Centenial HS USA
46. Maxime Clermont G Gatineau Olympiques CAN
47. Adam Sedlak D Peterborough Petes CAN
48. Shane Sooth F USANTDP USA
49. Max Reinhart F Kootenay ICE CAN
50. Max Gardiner F Minnetonka HS USA
51. Janos Hari F Fargestad HUN
52. Adam Brown G Kelowna Rockets USA
53. Guillaume Asselin F Montreal Juniors CAN
54. Johan Gustafsson G Fargestad SWE
55. Danny Biega F Salisbury CAN
56. Nolan Zajac D Winnipeg Thrashers CAN
57. Tom Kuhnhackl F EV Landshut GER
58. Jordan De Pape F Winnipeg Saints CAN
59. Brandon Hynes F Victoriaville Tigers CAN
60. Kevin Sundher F Chilliwack Bruins CAN
61. Jacob Berglund F Malmo Redhawks SWE
62. Maxim Kitsin F Metallurg Novokuzentsk RUS
63. Curtis Hamilton F Saskatoon Blades CAN
64. Jake Cardwell D Sudsbury Wolves CAN
65. Ryan O'connor D Barrie Colts CAN

Thats it. Thanks for reading, and try to keep the flaming to a minimal!!! This is a great draft and many players can move up or down very quickly here, so don't take offense if one of your favs isn't being "pimped" here!!

Orwell1984

Feb 10, 2009
Waaay too many Americans on your list, should change your handle to the Dreamer:laugh: Is it all the success U.S. teams have had internationally that has given you such optimism:laugh: Just kidding, nothing wrong with being a homer! All in fun.

Leperus Leprechuan

Dec 24, 2007
Windsor
Fowler has decommited to the NCAA as of yesterday. Looks like he'll be headed to the O.

Watson's probally too high and Seguin and Hishon will go higher me thinks.

Nice list though, I appreciate any list with some kind of write up.

Leaf Fever

Mar 20, 2008
Watch out for Jeff Skinner of the Kitchener Rangers.

He is basically Kitchener's first line centre as a 16 year old and this kid has skill and is an amazing skater! A little small but there's not much to worry about.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Waaay too many Americans on your list, should change your handle to the Dreamer:laugh: Is it all the success U.S. teams have had internationally that has given you such optimism:laugh: Just kidding, nothing wrong with being a homer! All in fun.

actually I thought I was being pretty diplomatic here. All Americans on this list are on everyone elses top 60 list, so I really don't know how I am being a homer. This is probably the best draft class the U.S has produced in some time. Still early, but I can't help it if the US has a deep class. And this list is still without the Minny high school kid that always goes first round... not sure if Bjustad goes first round. thanks for reading though.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Fowler has decommited to the NCAA as of yesterday. Looks like he'll be headed to the O.

I like Hishon, but I just don't see what seperates him from the herd. As for Seguin, it is the same thing, prototypical forward syndrom. Time will only tell, but you are right both can certainly rise.

I know some people don't see it yet, but I really do feel Watson is legit. This is a projection list, this isnt a list of whose who right now, but he most certainly can drop just like anyone else.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
Watch out for Jeff Skinner of the Kitchener Rangers.

He is basically Kitchener's first line centre as a 16 year old and this kid has skill and is an amazing skater! A little small but there's not much to worry about.

I was going to do a top 100, but I said at this point why bother. Skinner is 74th on my list, so he is a third round pick for me, he may be a stretch to get first round status, but if he gets some size to him, he could make a case.

Ian Esplen

Mar 8, 2007
calgary
great list although i to think the americans are a bit high and hishon is way to low. also you think hall is that much better then fowler, Pulkkinen and kabanov. right now i'd say hall is 1st but those 3 are very close behind. great to see some reports and names being tossed around though

byeyimini

Sep 10, 2002
Visit site
2. Cam Fowler D USANTDP USA- Best dman in the draft, franchise player. He can play the all around game, and does it better then anyone else. Apparently he isn't headed to the NCAA which I feel is his best move. Stud!

Dream, could you elaborate a bit on Fowler`s game ? Does he compare in some ways to other top young prospect dmen ? EJ, Doughty, Hedmen, etc...

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
One name missing is Jaden Schwartz of the SJHL's Notre Dame Hounds.

Led the Sask Midget AAA League in scoring at age 15 with 110 points in a little more than 40 games - an incredible total for that league, especially for a 15-year-old.

This year for Notre Dame, he was the SJHL's top rookie with 76 points in 46 games. Perspective: Brad Richards had 87 points in 63 games as a 16-year-old rookie for Notre Dame in 1996-97, so Schwartz's PPG pace was better than Richards. (The SJ plays about eight games fewer than they did in 1996-97, but Schwartz's clip, pro-rated over 63 games, would be about 102 points).

Schwartz was also named to the tournament all-star team at November's World Junior A Challenge, an impressive feat for a 16-year-old. The tournament is geared towards 18-year-olds, with a few 19-year-olds on each team.

He's probably the best prospect in the league since Richards, and the best player to come out of Canadian Junior A since Turris.

Canad93

Jan 21, 2008

As if the Spits weren't good enough as it is..:D:P

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Kuznetsov is waaay better than Galiev.....has always been. He could even end up being better than Kabanov in the long run.

Kitsyn at 62?

You're missing others with potential for top 2 rounds:

Barbashev
Tarasenko
Zotov
Marchenko
Gogolev
Ilminsky
Apalkov

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I'm guessing Gudbranson continues to rise. Fourth overall in the OHL draft, 6'4'', skates well, isn't soft, offensive upside, has worn the "C" for both Kingston(they rotate, but still, he's only sixteen) and Ontario's U17 team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad