OT - NO POLITICS The Dog Days of Summer continue

Status
Not open for further replies.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Yup, they give you 6 months to claim it, use that time wisely. Hire lawyers and accountants, gets your trusts and investment plan set up and be legally protected. Then go get the $

Actually, they give you one year from the draw date to claim in Illinois.

Reactions: BMC

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Ill say costco and past jobs really f***ed up my work mentality. It was always fast fast rush rush. Here I dont need to rush. Especially in this heat. Idk why I keep walking fast.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Id claim anonymously. Quit my job only after seeing how much the government wants to take.

Would only tell close friends and family

Last edited by a moderator:

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
Worked a public event last week. Got sick on Friday.
Test on Saturday was positive.

Covid again.

Here's a blessing I think we all could use:

View attachment 573934
get better quick. I got it around 4th of july when it went through my mens hockey team. knocked me out for a day. On the plus side I got to miss 5 days of work and get paid for it without being really sick.

• Haha
Reactions: Bruinswillwin77

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
I think it is better they remain anonymous until they have everything set up to handle their new wealth & notoriety and for the reasons the article mentions.

I have an old Reddit post bookmarked for the day I never win the lottery that actually does a great job detailing lottery winners and what they have done wrong and how you can make sure you do it right.

Fascinating stuff.

What to do if you win the lottery

All 3 of that users posts are pretty good in that thread.

Small excerpt:

So, what the hell DO you do if you are unlucky enough to win the lottery?

This is the absolutely most important thing you can do right away: NOTHING.

Yes. Nothing.

DO NOT DECLARE YOURSELF THE WINNER yet.

Do NOT tell anyone. The urge is going to be nearly irresistible. Resist it. Trust me.

/ 1. IMMEDIATELY retain an attorney.

Get a partner from a larger, NATIONAL firm. Don't let them pawn off junior partners or associates on you. They might try, all law firms might, but insist instead that your lead be a partner who has been with the firm for awhile. Do NOT use your local attorney. Yes, I mean your long-standing family attorney who did your mother's will. Do not use the guy who fought your dry-cleaner bill. Do not use the guy you have trusted your entire life because of his long and faithful service to your family. In fact, do not use any firm that has any connection to family or friends or community. TRUST me. This is bad. You want someone who has never heard of you, any of your friends, or any member of your family. Go the the closest big city and walk into one of the national firms asking for one of the "Trust and Estates" partners you have previously looked up on http://www.martindale.com from one of the largest 50 firms in the United States which has an office near you. You can look up attornies by practice area and firm on Martindale.

/ 2. Decide to take the lump sum.

Most lotteries pay a really pathetic rate for the annuity. It usually hovers around 4.5% annual return or less, depending. It doesn't take much to do better than this, and if you have the money already in cash, rather than leaving it in the hands of the state, you can pull from the capital whenever you like. If you take the annuity you won't have access to that cash. That could be good. It could be bad. It's probably bad unless you have a very addictive personality. If you need an allowance managed by the state, it is because you didn't listen to point #1 above.

Why not let the state just handle it for you and give you your allowance?

Many state lotteries pay you your "allowence" (the annuity option) by buying U.S. treasury instruments and running the interest payments through their bureaucracy before sending it to you along with a hunk of the principal every month. You will not be beating inflation by much, if at all. There is no reason you couldn't do this yourself, if a low single-digit return is acceptable to you.

You aren't going to get even remotely the amount of the actual jackpot. Take our old friend Mr. Whittaker. Using Whittaker is a good model both because of the reminder of his ignominious decline, and the fact that his winning ticket was one of the larger ones on record. If his situation looks less than stellar to you, you might have a better perspective on how "large" your winnings aren't. Whittaker's "jackpot" was $315 million. He selected the lump-sum cash up-front option, which knocked off $145 million (or 46% of the total) leaving him with $170 million. That was then subject to withholding for taxes of $56 million (33%) leaving him with $114 million.

In general, you should expect to get about half of the original jackpot if you elect a lump sum (maybe better, it depends). After that, you should expect to lose around 33% of your already pruned figure to state and federal taxes. (Your mileage may vary, particularly if you live in a state with aggressive taxation schemes).

/ 3. Decide right now, how much you plan to give to family and friends.

This really shouldn't be more than 20% or so. Figure it out right now. Pick your number. Tell your lawyer. That's it. Don't change it. 20% of $114 million is $22.8 million. That leaves you with $91.2 million. DO NOT CONSULT WITH FAMILY when deciding how much to give to family. You are going to get advice that is badly tainted by conflict of interest, and if other family members find out that Aunt Flo was consulted and they weren't you will never hear the end of it. Neither will Aunt Flo. This might later form the basis for an allegation that Aunt Flo unduly influenced you and a lawsuit might magically appear on this basis. No, I'm not kidding. I know of one circumstance (related to a business windfall, not a lottery) where the plaintiffs WON this case.

Do NOT give anyone cash. Ever. Period. Just don't. Do not buy them houses. Do not buy them cars. Tell your attorney that you want to provide for your family, and that you want to set up a series of trusts for them that will total 20% of your after tax winnings. Tell him you want the trust empowered to fund higher education, some help (not a total) purchase of their first home, some provision for weddings and the like, whatever. Do NOT put yourself in the position of handing out cash. Once you do, if you stop, you will be accused of being a heartless bastard (or bitch). Trust me. It won't go well.

It will be easy to lose perspective. It is now the duty of your friends, family, relatives, hangers-on and their inner circle to skew your perspective, and they take this job quite seriously. Setting up a trust, a managed fund for your family that is in the double digit millions is AMAZINGLY generous. You need never have trouble sleeping because you didn't lend Uncle Jerry $20,000 in small denomination unmarked bills to start his chain of deep-fried peanut butter pancake restaurants. ("Deep'n 'nutter Restaurants") Your attorney will have a number of good ideas how to parse this wealth out without turning your siblings/spouse/children/grandchildren/cousins/waitresses into the latest Paris Hilton.

Continued due to character Limit.

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Its fooookin hot!

Attachments

• E9D03137-3D27-427F-9FFE-CDF7740476F5.jpeg
    E9D03137-3D27-427F-9FFE-CDF7740476F5.jpeg
    107.9 KB · Views: 19
  • Wow

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
get better quick. I got it around 4th of july when it went through my mens hockey team. knocked me out for a day. On the plus side I got to miss 5 days of work and get paid for it without being really sick.
I also got it in early July. Did I get it back when they were paying 80 hours of Covid leave? Nooooooooo. But at least they did pay me for several days because I had to do some work from home that they don't have anyone else trained to do.

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
I also got it in early July. Did I get it back when they were paying 80 hours of Covid leave? Nooooooooo. But at least they did pay me for several days because I had to do some work from home that they don't have anyone else trained to do.
I flat out told my work. If I have to use my personal sick or vacation time Im coming into work.lol.
I cant work from home so I was told they let us use admin covid time. They made me stay out 5 days after my positive pcr test. I did pull a Charlie Mcavoy though and played my mens league game while I was out of work.

Si Hopkins

Dec 8, 2007
Easthampton
magichelicopterpress.com
Coming out of left field with this, but I just saw The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the first time (I know, I know). Holy hell what a Boston movie. The Garden scene at the end was just the most beautiful thing I've seen. I kept thinking "Please don't end, please don't end." Is there any better footage of what it was like at a the Boston Garden than that? I'm sure they had to pull some movie magic to make it happen, but you FEEL all cramped up with all those regular people cheering on the team. Must have been a spectacular time to be a Bruins fan. At the same time, the way that movie captures Boston as a run down roughed up city. Ooof. Pre-gentrification Boston is a sight!

Anyway, just wanted to share this here. I figure it's probably been talked about a million times here, but I was born and raised in Malden and cannot believe I missed this movie for so long.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
Coming out of left field with this, but I just saw The Friends of Eddie Coyle for the first time (I know, I know). Holy hell what a Boston movie. The Garden scene at the end was just the most beautiful thing I've seen. I kept thinking "Please don't end, please don't end." Is there any better footage of what it was like at a the Boston Garden than that? I'm sure they had to pull some movie magic to make it happen, but you FEEL all cramped up with all those regular people cheering on the team. Must have been a spectacular time to be a Bruins fan. At the same time, the way that movie captures Boston as a run down roughed up city. Ooof. Pre-gentrification Boston is a sight!

Anyway, just wanted to share this here. I figure it's probably been talked about a million times here, but I was born and raised in Malden and cannot believe I missed this movie for so long.
By far the most realistic Boston movie in every way. The Affleck movies, "The Departed" etc do not have the evocative real feel and grit this one does. I live in the sticks and have not been to Boston in years, but that's my take.

Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Why the womens room nicer than the mens??

Oh I use the womens room when im at the office

Attachments

• DB8B4D79-4647-40E3-A9F1-F4F9BC032B2E.jpeg
    DB8B4D79-4647-40E3-A9F1-F4F9BC032B2E.jpeg
    173 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
yeah F that. Im ready for single digit temps. Then i can pass out in front of the woodstove.
Hopefully your truck has AC at least.
My wife works for the post office and no AC in those shitboxes. No 4 wheel drive either for the winter. Can you tell its run by the government?? lol

Yeah we got AC. Funny thing my mother was trying to tell me to work for USPS.

Heat wasnt the issue today it was my route and locations. Apparently I was right in bitching about the 14-15 stops in the apartments they’re notorious and everyone hates them.

Then there were people with long driveways I had to drive down and maneuver out of. Training says dont drive down them but my company said too. Then the peoples driveways that are long I cant drive down.

I just think and talk positively like one of my coaches told me.

Last edited:

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

I went to a Celtics playoff game in the old Garden in 85 or 86. It was as bad as everyone said it was. I fully expected to have to fight a rat for my hot dog and I flatly refused to use the bathroom :laugh:

Reactions: Si Hopkins

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

You guys should have put the feral cat population to work (I'm sure Boston has thousands of those too) Problem solved. 🐀 🐈

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
:thumbu: It never hurts to have a positive attitude in any job. People remember it.

When I was coached up they noticed when I make a mistake Im negative about it. So now I think more positive. One of my managers is a big motivator. His morning speeches are the best. He also coached me up and made me faster. He says the job is 95% mental. I laugh at that sometimes drenched in sweat with my knees throbbing but still get the job done. :)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

@Si Hopkins

January 27, 1973 - The scene was shot using wireless mics at a game - those were not extras

Picture in Globe

1659403399407.png

Peter Yates used a new smaller camera to shoot scenes

1659404853277.png

The bar was the Kentucky Tavern and Mass and Newbury - long gone

1659403565775.png

1659403794810.png

I had a friend visit Boston for the first time in 45 years and he was in shock at how the city had changed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad