Post-Game Talk: The dog days of a playoff spring start now

Will you miss Jack?

• Total voters

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
For me Kulikov didn't get fair look here. Often the case with D you get at TDL. Its the same reason I'm not deciding on Kulak. Haven't seen him enough. Takes longer time to suss and gauge D. jmo. Kulikov had the elements I like in a 3-4 or lower D, potentially. Afairc he was cheap. To me he was always better than 4K who seems like a lost afterthought now.

Last comment but you can't gauge D without goaltending. For the most part we haven't had that. Hopefully the Smith run continues.
I always got the feeling that Holland went after 4K because he played well against us in the Hawks series. and nothing more than that.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
In regard to JP, I feel like he would be better suited to being on a line with the Nuge. I've seen McDrai give him the gears before and I don't think he's the type of player who does well with that pressure from linemates. Nuge is more easygoing and would be a better match for a fragile player such as Pulju. Just my two cents based on observations
I really do think the best value for oilers is to trade Jesse. His skating, awereness is like a 15 year old boy. It wont get better..

If qualified, he should het max 3,5 millions. His play is great for 8 games, then he goes colder than cold in 15 games, just isnt catching the game. And thats because he is just a NHL level player when he is on fire, that help to mask his bad awereness, passing game and bad skating

Trade him for a NHL ready winger prospect. Maybe Kakko?
Post automatically merged:

I always got the feeling that Holland went after 4K because he played well against us in the Hawks series. and nothing more than that.
Its not uncommon GM act like that. ... badly enough.

Last edited:

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Kulak is definitely a bottom pairing guy, for some of the reasons you stated, like a lack of passing ability and making some iffy decisions in his own end that separates those types from the front line guys. But for a bottom pairing I think he's close to as good as it gets. Good skater, physical and seems to play within himself. Of course with Nurse out, his minutes and important time have been elevated, and then some holes get revealed. I hope they can sign him.

As for Kulikov, he seems to be playing very well, although sheltered on a deep team. I thought he was terrible with us and did not shed a tear when he left.

The one of the main difference between the two is last year Kulikov was asked to play Keith's current top 4 role, plus shutdown minutes with Larrson; while Kulak is getting sheltered minutes on an offensive pairing with Barrie. Funny enough, that's same role Kulikov had a lot of success in before arriving here, as he primarily played with Subban in NJ.

I don't think Kuluk would have as much success if he was asked to play with Ceci on a pure shutdown pairing, with Nurse back to babysitting Barrie.

Off topic rant, but one thought that went through my head a lot last year is Holland should have gotten both Murray and Kulikov out of NJ.

Nurse-Barrie/Bear
Murray-Larsson
Kulikov-Barrie/Bear/Bouchard

That would have had Kulikov in a more comfortable role, and Larsson with a defenceman that could play shutdown minutes (Remember, Murray-Savard was CLB's 2nd pairing for years)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
The one of the main difference between the two is last year Kulikov was asked to play Keith's current top 4 role, plus shutdown minutes with Larrson; while Kulak is getting sheltered minutes on an offensive pairing with Barrie. Funny enough, that's same role Kulikov had a lot of success in before arriving here, as he primarily played with Subban in NJ.

I don't think Kuluk would have as much success if he was asked to play with Ceci on a pure shutdown pairing, with Nurse back to babysitting Barrie.

Off topic rant, but one thought that went through my head a lot last year is Holland should have gotten both Murray and Kulikov out of NJ.

Nurse-Barrie/Bear
Murray-Larsson
Kulikov-Barrie/Bear/Bouchard

That would have had Kulikov in a more comfortable role, and Larsson with a defenceman that could play shutdown minutes (Remember, Murray-Savard was CLB's 2nd pairing for years)
And yet, since Nurse has been out, Kulak has been elevated to the top pairing and hasn't looked too bad.

Regarding Murray, why on earth would we be interested in an injury prone band-aid like him?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad