The "Do you hockey?" thread.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
I've never played, but kinda want to join a local rec league. Would it be a complete waste of time and money to get into something if I'm older than most of those in this thread saying they are old? The entry level divisions around here are all no-checking, no slapshot so I assume there wouldn't be too many knuckleheads trying to run noobs like me into the boards.

It wouldn't be a waste of time at all. I'm 61 ( I stopped at 45, not age related, more the late ice slots were no longer of interest to me, and many of my friends still play, granted they've been playing for 55 years but there is a level out there for you.

If not, give roller a try, it's a helluva workout.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
I've never played, but kinda want to join a local rec league. Would it be a complete waste of time and money to get into something if I'm older than most of those in this thread saying they are old? The entry level divisions around here are all no-checking, no slapshot so I assume there wouldn't be too many knuckleheads trying to run noobs like me into the boards.

Most rinks that have men's league have their version of a "federal" league, which is generally for people newer to the sport, or older. Definitely worth it if you wanna play. And it's usually not crazy expensive. Many places have 40 and older leagues and things like that too. Fifth Third or Johnny's have federal leagues, I believe, if you live around Chicago. All depends on how old you are, I guess, and what your general skill level is. There are guys in their 50s that play in C leagues, and I'm sure a few playing in even higher leagues.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I vaguely remember playing Canada teams that were A compared to our AA teams and their AA teams playing our AAA, but was so long ago.

I'm not sure if the youth system has the same "northern progression" as men's league, but I was completely unaware of the difference in divisions the more north/south you got.

I play in an A/B+ league here in Central IL. We took a team down to Atlanta for a tournament a few years back and hopped in the B division and dominated. We took basically the same team up north in Michigan and got completely steam rolled in the B tournament. Night and day difference in skill level.

I've noticed A in the south is roughly equivalent to C in the northern states. Anyone else notice or experience this?

The level of beer leagues varies greatly depending on what city you're around, too. A league in a lot of the suburbs isn't A league at Johnny's, for instance.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Like I said, it's hard to find the motivation. I've only ever worked out in gyms. It puts my head in a different space, where I force myself to do it.

Working out really does suck. It's so boring, and difficult to get motivated for sure. Maybe it's my personality, but I need competition to motivate me. It's why I play so much hockey.

Find a beer league and just start playing. You won't regret it. There are leagues for everyone.

Marotte Marauder

Aug 10, 2008
Working out really does suck. It's so boring, and difficult to get motivated for sure. Maybe it's my personality, but I need competition to motivate me.

Oppo here, the competition for me is training to be in better shape than yesterday. Used to be to move more weight than yesterday, been there done that.

It is actually a national shame that people are not taught early on to embrace physical fitness. It's very liberating.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Working out really does suck. It's so boring, and difficult to get motivated for sure. Maybe it's my personality, but I need competition to motivate me. It's why I play so much hockey.

Find a beer league and just start playing. You won't regret it. There are leagues for everyone.
I usually play once a week, except when baseball gets in the way in the summer. Its too expensive to play more than a couple times a week, and no leagues are going on in ontario right now either, hopefully that changes when more rinks open in September. I've always been more of a bike, skate, rollerskate, kind of guy vs a gym rat. But when I do go to the gym I go hard, just cant stick to doing it for more than a few months at a time.

Reactions: ChiHawks10

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Oppo here, the competition for me is training to be in better shape than yesterday. Used to be to move more weight than yesterday, been there done that.

It is actually a national shame that people are not taught early on to embrace physical fitness. It's very liberating.
You can embrace physical fitness without going to a gym and trying to lift more weights than the previous day.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Did you guys down in Chicago ever play teams in Ontario? I'm just curious how AAA in Chicago stacks up against AAA in Ontario. I remember playing the Cincinnati Cyclones when I was about 10 years old. No idea what level they were considered in the US back then, but I assume it was the same level as us (A) if they were brought in to our tournament, and I remember beating them like 14-0 one game.

We played the Ontario Rangers at the CCM tournament in Chicago a couple of years ago

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
We played the Ontario Rangers at the CCM tournament in Chicago a couple of years ago
Ontario Canada? lol Pretty sure we don't name our teams after our Province, unless it's Team Ontario.

There are the North York Rangers, Kitchener Rangers, Oakville Rangers, but can't say I have heard of Ontario Rangers.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Ontario Canada? lol Pretty sure we don't name our teams after our Province, unless it's Team Ontario.

There are the North York Rangers, Kitchener Rangers, Oakville Rangers, but can't say I have heard of Ontario Rangers.

Oakville Rangers, thats what it was.

Reactions: Hawkaholic

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad