The "Do you hockey?" thread.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I haven't played a game of hockey in ,,,,, 24 or 25 years now if my memory serves me correct (I think 96 or 97 was last time I played a game of hockey as I was still in Jr High)

And it was roller hockey and I was goalie with an old novelty Jason Vorhees mask reinforced by hard plastic outer shell , An old catchers mitt (I believe it was my uncles from late 70's) and pads made from padding from an old car seat and magazines tapped together by duct tape and black electrical tape

For chest protection I used an old pillow with magazines taped over it and wore double layers of clothing to cover rest of my body.

Since we used those 90's street hockey pucks and those things hurt like a son a bitch when you played goal it was never a comfortable experience not to mention there would always be that one asshole like 3 years older going to net and slashing the hell out me anytime there was rebound

Was never a good skater thus why I played goal

Still it was fun but by the summer of 97 everyone else had moved away and then eventually the old little hockey rink we used in Riverdale fell into disrepair (It was not in that good of shape to begin with) and eventually was torn up and turned into basketball courts

Also used to play in parking lot behind old Dolton Expo Center (Now a church) since it was usually empty on weekends since Dolton Expo Center was rarely used on Sundays

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Started playing around second grade, stopped when I left home for college. I had zero interest in continuing at that point, I was focused on moving to a new place and trying to figure out what I was going to do with my life, try as much new shit as possible, etc.

Honestly had been losing interest in it for at least a year before that, didnt love it enough to put the work in to be great at it. Never ate, slept, breathed the sport like some of the guys I played with. It was a good way to make friends, stay fit, stay outta trouble (mostly), and by college I didnt really need the routine or structure anymore.

After college made some friends who played beer league, very casual, that was fun for awhile.

Havent been on ice in any capacity since I moved to Vancouver. Snowboarding became my new sports obsession.

Last edited:

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I haven't played a game of hockey in ,,,,, 24 or 25 years now if my memory serves me correct (I think 96 or 97 was last time I played a game of hockey as I was still in Jr High)

And it was roller hockey and I was goalie with an old novelty Jason Vorhees mask reinforced by hard plastic outer shell , An old catchers mitt (I believe it was my uncles from late 70's) and pads made from padding from an old car seat and magazines tapped together by duct tape and black electrical tape

For chest protection I used an old pillow with magazines taped over it and wore double layers of clothing to cover rest of my body.

Since we used those 90's street hockey pucks and those things hurt like a son a bitch when you played goal it was never a comfortable experience not to mention there would always be that one asshole like 3 years older going to net and slashing the hell out me anytime there was rebound

Was never a good skater thus why I played goal

Still it was fun but by the summer of 97 everyone else had moved away and then eventually the old little hockey rink we used in Riverdale fell into disrepair (It was not in that good of shape to begin with) and eventually was torn up and turned into basketball courts

Also used to play in parking lot behind old Dolton Expo Center (Now a church) since it was usually empty on weekends since Dolton Expo Center was rarely used on Sundays

Random comment: goalies typically are sone of the best skaters on the team (if they are good).

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Random comment: goalies typically are sone of the best skaters on the team (if they are good).

Yeah but we were 11-14 year olds playing roller hockey

For that the goalie just had to be able to move side to side and be willing to attempt to stop the puck

Most people dont like idea of people shooting things at you or standing there waiting for play to come to them

Every other kid wanted to act like they were Roenick at time (By far the most popular Hawk back then) and score goals/hit/etc

Usually if your playing goal you would stop some shots then stand there waiting which is not for everyone especially kids who think they are all scoring a goal every time they have puck

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah but we were 11-14 year olds playing roller hockey

For that the goalie just had to be able to move side to side and be willing to attempt to stop the puck

Most people dont like idea of people shooting things at you or standing there waiting for play to come to them

Every other kid wanted to act like they were Roenick at time (By far the most popular Hawk back then) and score goals/hit/etc

Usually if your playing goal you would stop some shots then stand there waiting which is not for everyone especially kids who think they are all scoring a goal every time they have puck

I was a goalie.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Unless you had kids you didn't know joining in , Always hated that

Sure usually they were fine but every now and then you would get that kid you just wanted to slash ankle of

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
I played up through HS and AAA. I coached at those levels and now coach ACHA (club) college.

I played LW most of my life and am a “playmaker” aka I racked up way more assists than goals.

I broke my hip playing down in Tampa and have some screws in there now which makes skating super uncomfy so I really only get out there for tournaments.

Were you playing in the senior tournament in Tampa when you broke your hip? If so, I know a bunch of guys that play in the nationals there, pretty much every season.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Not sure what age I started exactly, (3 or 4?) My Dad went out and bought everything, put it on me while I was crying about it, kicked my ass out on the ice, and the rest is history.

Played competitive until 15/16. Made the high school hockey team, and that same year shattered my leg in half (bone popped through the skin) after being checked from behind chasing the puck into my end on the PP. (buddy crosschecked me on my ass, feet came out from under me 5 feet from the boards)

Basically stopped playing competitively after that, as I was just too scared to go into the corners to be successful. Didn't stop playing though, still play pick up to this day.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Not sure what age I started exactly, (3 or 4?) My Dad went out and bought everything, put it on me while I was crying about it, kicked my ass out on the ice, and the rest is history.

Played competitive until 15/16. Made the high school hockey team, and that same year shattered my leg in half (bone popped through the skin) after being checked from behind chasing the puck into my end on the PP. (buddy crosschecked me on my ass, feet came out from under me 5 feet from the boards)

Basically stopped playing competitively after that, as I was just too scared to go into the corners to be successful. Didn't stop playing though, still play pick up to this day.

WTF??? Your buddy did this to you??

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
Started playing when I was 6, all the way up to two years of club in college. Took a long break. Now skate twice per week in a few leagues.

BHFAN92

Jan 21, 2016
Mid-West
grew up playing pond hockey. My 8 yr old though has played yr round hockey since he was 3 and just signed up for travel hockey. So forseeable future my life will be spent at ice rinks

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Were you playing in the senior tournament in Tampa when you broke your hip? If so, I know a bunch of guys that play in the nationals there, pretty much every season.

Nah, I was playing in a morning A league in Clearwater. Getting walked by Vinny Prospal.

Reactions: Pez68

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Ice rinks, restaurants and hotels.

Kiss your weekends goodbye and hold on for a financial ride.
Very true. However, our whole family loves it and we get to spend a lot of time together. It should be interesting when my youngest starts travel though.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Played from 6th grade through high school, but started skating well before that. I was never good.

Have maybe skated 10 times in the last 14 years since then. Watching is much more my speed these days, lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->