The disgraceful oversight of Nick Backstrom

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
The reason i brought up the Selke argument is because when i watch guys like Bergeron, Toews or Kopitar i don't look at them and go 'wow i wish Nick would do that' nor do i think they are head and shoulders above him to the point where Backstrom doesn't even get a nomination? I mean not even a damn nomination, even if he doesn't win at LEAST give him consideration, that's outrageous and like i said a disgraceful oversight.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
The reason i brought up the Selke argument is because when i watch guys like Bergeron, Toews or Kopitar i don't look at them and go 'wow i wish Nick would do that' nor do i think they are head and shoulders above him to the point where Backstrom doesn't even get a nomination? That's outrageous and like i said disgraceful.

And clearly you're an objective observer, aren't you?

Your use of the word disgraceful is the disgraceful thing here.

Bear of Bad News

Your Third or Fourth Favorite HFBoards Admin
Sep 27, 2005
The reason i brought up the Selke argument is because when i watch guys like Bergeron, Toews or Kopitar i don't look at them and go 'wow i wish Nick would do that' nor do i think they are head and shoulders above him to the point where Backstrom doesn't even get a nomination? I mean not even a damn nomination, even if he doesn't win at LEAST give him consideration, that's outrageous and like i said a disgraceful oversight.

So now you agree that those three players are better defensively than Backstrom (otherwise you wouldn't say that they aren't "head and shoulders above him to the point where..."), and now you're only ticked that he didn't get a nomination (instead of finding it a "disgrace" that he didn't win)?

First of all, you backpedal faster than Lance Armstrong on a DVR in rewind mode.

Second of all, if three players are better than someone, then you shouldn't expect a nomination for that someone.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
And clearly you're an objective observer, aren't you?

Your use of the word disgraceful is the disgraceful thing here.

Of course, i criticise Nick for not pulling the trigger more often or overthinking the situation instead of getting it on net.

You think i'm just saying Nick should be a Selke contender because i'm a Caps fan? That's a pretty dumb statement you're making.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
So now you agree that those three players are better defensively than Backstrom (otherwise you wouldn't say that they aren't "head and shoulders above him to the point where..."), and now you're ticked that he didn't get a nomination?

First of all, you backpedal faster than Lance Armstrong on a DVR in rewind mode.

Second of all, if three players are better than someone, then you shouldn't expect a nomination for that someone.

You CLEARLY missed the point, i mean talk about sailing over you're head. I'm saying they are not head and shoulders better and he's overlooked to the point where he doesn't even get to be in the conversation. Plus i didn't say they were better i said nothing they do makes me say ' i wish Nick could do that'. Can you not read?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
You CLEARLY missed the point, i mean talk about sailing over you're head. I'm saying they are not head and shoulders better and he's overlooked to the point where he doesn't even get to be in the conversation. Plus i didn't say they were better i said nothing they do makes me say ' i wish Nick could do that'. Can you not read?

I can assure you that I can read.

How did you simultaneously tell me that I missed the point, while repeating what I said back to me?

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Of course, i criticise Nick for not pulling the trigger more often or overthinking the situation instead of getting it on not.

You think i'm just saying Nick should be a Selke contender because i'm a Caps fan? That's a pretty dumb statement you're making.

Yes, I am saying that, and you still haven't provided evidence for why Backstrom deserves to be a Selke finalist(which is still not deserving to win the Selke, as you said initially).

Your argument so far consists of: The guys who win it aren't head and shoulders better than Backstrom, so it's disgraceful that Backstrom isn't being handed the Selke.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Backstrom was 12th in voting last season. He was 11th in voting the season before. He's quite obviously "in the conversation" but that doesn't mean he deserves to win.

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Yes, I am saying that, and you still haven't provided evidence for why Backstrom deserves to be a Selke finalist(which is still not deserving to win the Selke, as you said initially).

Your argument so far consists of: The guys who win it aren't head and shoulders better than Backstrom, so it's disgraceful that Backstrom isn't being handed the Selke.

They are not better to the point where he doesn't even get a look in, that's a joke to me. By not even considering him they are saying he's not that good when it's evident that he is.

Hence the term 'oversight' that i used, it's in the title.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
They are not better to the point where he doesn't even get a look in, that's a joke to me. By not even considering him they are saying he's not that good.

If three people are better than Backstrom, then he doesn't get a nomination. And even you're admitting that three people are better (and you're biased for Backstrom).

That's how it works.

To head off your response, yes, I can read. :scared:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
They are not better to the point where he doesn't even get a look in, that's a joke to me. By not even considering him they are saying he's not that good.

Hence the term 'Oversight' that i used, it's in the title.

Are you unaware of how the award is chosen? It's voted on. Backstrom gets votes. That contradicts everything you're saying, because he is being considered. He just isn't getting enough consideration to win. It isn't an oversight when other players are more deserving, despite your clear lack of objectivity regarding this subject.

Only the top 3 are Finalists for the award. If he isn't top 3, he isn't named as a Finalist. You seem completely ignorant about how it all works.

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
are you kidding me?

toews >>> backstrom

he's a good ol western canadian boy who has all the intangibles AND 3 cups! already a lock for the HOF
:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

The Toews Era*

Nov 29, 2014
are you kidding me?

toews >>> backstrom

he's a good ol western canadian boy who has all the intangibles AND 3 cups! already a lock for the HOF
:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

Which years when Toews finished ahead of backstrom in selke voting did backstrom deserve to be ahead?

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Are you unaware of how the award is chosen? It's voted on. Backstrom gets votes. That contradicts everything you're saying, because he is being considered. He just isn't getting enough consideration to win. It isn't an oversight when other players are more deserving, despite your clear lack of objectivity regarding this subject.

Only the top 3 are Finalists for the award. If he isn't top 3, he isn't named as a Finalist. You seem completely ignorant about how it all works.

Again that's your opinion but many disagree with him not being a finalist or winning one. His numbers sort of do the talking for him so i don't exactly need to spell it out.

My whole point is exactly that, it's an oversight because he's constantly looked past over other players who throughout a season are deemed to better than him which is highly debatable but because he is not RARA but quiet and graceful no one sees his hard work.

He's been brilliant since day one and has only got better and more well rounded over his career, the facts are there.

I Like Foolish Posts

Apr 25, 2012

Well Backstrom is clearly not head and shoulders above anyone defensively... How can you say he DESERVES the Selke then, like it's his God-given right?

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Again that's your opinion but many disagree with him not being a finalist or winning one. His numbers sort of do the talking for him so i don't exactly need to spell it out.

Who's the "many" that disagree? I count one (you).

And please - spell it out.

You're arguing in circles, all the while asking if people can read. The problem isn't that we can't read.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
Not sure if there is a player more overlooked and under the radar than Backy. I mean how can a virtually career PPG (682p/694g) player who is that good be overlooked for everything? Never gets the awards he deserves, never gets the recognition but you can bank on the next time Crosby or McDavid grabs a cup of coffee we will hear about whether it was decaff or not 5 minutes later.

Give this man the Selke and All-Star games he DESERVES.

Just like his game. Don't notice him too much until you check the stats and he's got 2 to 4 points.:)

Ovechtrick89*

Apr 10, 2012
Read it. It says a lot about how calm he is when he plays ping-pong.

Doesn't mention his defensive play at all.

:popcorn:

Ask any of the Capitals about Backstrom, and then pull up a chair as they praise his intelligence, his attention to detail and a skill that’s not appreciated enough outside of Washington’s locker room. Trotz campaigned for him to get his first all-star nod last season, and he has often ranted about how Backstrom’s defensive ability is underrated. Backstrom finished 12th in voting for the Selke Trophy, which goes to the top defensive forward, and that he wasn’t in the top five frustrated Trotz.

Clearly you didn't read it. Keep waving your pom poms for the leagues poster boys while guys like Nick go under the radar.

Bear of Bad News

Sep 27, 2005
Clearly you didn't read it. Keep waving your pom poms for the leagues poster boys while guys like Nick go under the radar.

I agree that one of us is waving pom poms. Have a good night, and good luck with your quest for...well, what, exactly? Whatever it is, good luck with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad