The dilemma: win-now, or reload?

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think some of you folks think too far ahead - especially with the formula that Stan has used for a few years now. The formula to sign the core group first, then the 4th liners (for cheap), then fill in the rest with what is available. As well, the Hawk scouting has seemingly expanded which has paid off, as the roster now includes recent steals like Panarim, Gustafsson and Tiko.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Easy... stand pat, do nothing. Let the Kids Play and when you know it you keep Shaw/Krüger/Garbutt/Daley or not you try to make a hockey trade and bring in a new D that can play in the NHL.

If we win, we'll win because of the Core. If we lose, so did 28 other Teams. Not a season to go out and give away more prospects and higher draft picks.

abt424

Apr 4, 2012
Austin
Look man, the intention of my original post was to establish both sides of the argument and create a place for people to discuss. I shouldn't have included pieces of opinion in saying upgrades are probably needed, and I feel comfortable dealing non-NHL roster pieces.

I DID NOT absolutely say the franchise cannot afford another 10/11. I said, "You could argue..." in order to drive that side of a potential debate. Some people are okay with hoping the younger guys grow enough to win this year, some are not.

The goal of this thread is to discuss whether they should "sell the farm" in order to win this year. So the second part of your last post is a perfect example of what I was hoping for.

Again, I really blew it when it came to creating a title [anyone know how to change it?] and it's clearly throwing people off. Yes, I'm new to posting on this site, however I've always enjoyed reading the threads where people on both sides of an argument have a rational discussion. That is my hope with this thread.

Except you can't argue that. I mean, those of us who have been fans for a while remember years when hey didn't go to the playoffs. The team is still around.

That argument is "The Blackhawks can't afford two years where they go to the playoffs and lose in the first round?"

I mean ... that's ridiculous.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
You don't "punt" years of Kane/Toews prime, you just don't. How much you give up of the future to add for this years run is another question.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
At this point, no. We don't sell the farm but over this year and next year it has to be an evaluation of talent because there will be a housecleaning in 2018.

Which is just fine because really, the club is fine at this point.

But, can the "hawks afford another 2011?" as a franchise, sure...keeping in mind of course Keith mailed it in that year and he's unlikely to this year. What the 'hawks can't afford is a 2006/2007--and gambling the farm away to stock an ancillary slot when the team is doing well will likely drop the team back into those bowels of hell.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Anything's possible in this world. Even being a diehard of 2 teams (it's really not that hard to decide who to cheer on more if they play each other, I live closer to LA).

If it is easy then you are not a diehard Hawks fan? If it was hard I could see it but since it is easy then you are a King's diehard and a casual Hawks fan. Nothing wrong with that.

Zero Pucks Given

American Hero
Mar 21, 2015
Southern CA
I can see having a 2nd team to casually cheer for, but being a diehard of 2 teams doesn't really make sense.

Just think of it this way, though - I live closer to LA so I'd go for LA over Chicago anytime those 2 meet, but that doesn't make Kane and Toews any less exciting to watch. It's complicated, I'll admit that.

If it is easy then you are not a diehard Hawks fan? If it was hard I could see it but since it is easy then you are a King's diehard and a casual Hawks fan. Nothing wrong with that.

Second part nailed it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I still love the Headline... Dilemma... while we have Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and added Anisimov, Teräväinen and Panarin

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I still love the Headline... Dilemma... while we have Toews, Kane, Keith, Crawford, Seabrook, Hjalmarsson and added Anisimov, Teräväinen and Panarin

Yeah... Like I've said several times already, I completely blew the ****ing headline!!! When I made it, I didn't know you can't edit it.

The whole idea of this ****ing thread is to discuss if the Hawks move farm pieces (prospect/picks) for an "all-in" year, or just be patient and allow young talent to develop.

If you look in the Marleau thread, people are talking about moving Pokka and a 1st to plug the 1LW spot. That's the same type of discussion I was hoping to spark here.

Why doesn't a mod just lock this piece of **** thread, or delete it? Next time I'll be sure to post a "This superstar sucks" or "What's wrong with this superstar?" thread.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
My only quizabuck about it is what would really reloading be. I don't see many small reload type moves unless they really did something big like moved one of their 3 main Dmen.

I guess there's trade Shaw/Kruger type of moves but there's nothing really smalltime with the main roster other than that.

WaltWhitman

Oct 18, 2010
Yeah... Like I've said several times already, I completely blew the ****ing headline!!! When I made it, I didn't know you can't edit it.

The whole idea of this ****ing thread is to discuss if the Hawks move farm pieces (prospect/picks) for an "all-in" year, or just be patient and allow young talent to develop.

If you look in the Marleau thread, people are talking about moving Pokka and a 1st to plug the 1LW spot. That's the same type of discussion I was hoping to spark here.

Why doesn't a mod just lock this piece of **** thread, or delete it? Next time I'll be sure to post a "This superstar sucks" or "What's wrong with this superstar?" thread.

It's ok, man. It's a good question. Whether you call it a choice or a dilemma or whatever is just semantics.

Enyaw

The names ... Wayne
Jan 17, 2014
If this team decides to go for a rebuild ... Q is not the coach for that .. he seems to have little patience with kids

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
no to an all-in year. Not worth it this year.

Growing experience for the Young guys and if we win with our core it's because they are good

EddieOs HairPluggs

Nov 11, 2015
I think some of you folks think too far ahead - especially with the formula that Stan has used for a few years now. The formula to sign the core group first, then the 4th liners (for cheap), then fill in the rest with what is available. As well, the Hawk scouting has seemingly expanded which has paid off, as the roster now includes recent steals like Panarim, Gustafsson and Tiko.

I am with you on this topic. The Hawks are just reloading. From my perspective the Hawk's goal is to maintain a playoff team throughout Toews and Kane's tenure. Just get this core in the playoff's. Keep the core together while subbing and plugging on the outskirts of the core.

I believe this new squad is a 3 year reload process. What appears to be an extremely new squad, will take 2-3 years to ultimately be serious Stanley cup favorites. This current squad will take some time to learn to play together.

It is not easy replacing all the pieces we just lost. This time period we really have to rely on what Rockford is building and bringing up talent.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad