The Difference Between Jack Johnson and Todd Bertuzzi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice

Feb 13, 2004
Bruwinz37 said:
The camera angles I saw didnt show it that well. Didnt look like he caught him all the way. I wouldnt put it past Downie to embellish to get the extra penalties to Johnson. Maybe Downie should have thought twice about giving Johnson those little slashes to the back of the legs as the EN goal was being scored.

I watched it in HiDef with a DVR and I replayed it a few times. It was impossible to tell how much contact there actually was but it looked vicious and certainly the intext was vicious. He could have at least aimed for mid-section instead of the face. Probably a split-second poor decision that he'll regret for quite some time.

zenator

Jan 1, 2004
It's true, Downie is an agitator, and you do live by the sword, die by the sword.

However, Johnson should have filed it away and got him back later in another game with a big bodycheck, or even attack him with fisticuffs in a 6-1 game.

Little whacks are part of the game and happen every game. Hockey players usually have the ability to suck it up and not violently retaliate.

To take such a cheap shot at such a time in an important tourney was dumb. Johnson's suspension costs his team their #1 defenseman for a crucial game(s). This shows a lack of composure, maturity, and downright stupidity.

I imagine the USA brass and team won't be happy with Johnson when/if he is suspended.

I thought for a #2 overall pick, Johnson coughed up the puck, and made giveaways an awful lot. I thought Lee was a far more solid puck mover, but then again, I'm a Sens fan so I'm biased of course.

trickster

Maple Leaf Lane Forever
Mar 6, 2002
Leaf Nation
Johnson made a bad decision

Bruwinz37 said:
The camera angles I saw didnt show it that well. Didnt look like he caught him all the way. I wouldnt put it past Downie to embellish to get the extra penalties to Johnson. Maybe Downie should have thought twice about giving Johnson those little slashes to the back of the legs as the EN goal was being scored.

I agree whole-heartedly with the recognition that this was possibly not as bad as it looked...

Bob Mckenzie alluded to the fact that the camera angle we all saw did not show the extent to which Downie's face/head was struck... A close up would be shed some light on it.

Fact of the matter is, the intent to injure was there - and intent has nothing to do with the outcome. I hope Johnson is supended because of the intent. Sure, he and Downey were lightly jockeying down the ice, but Johnson clearly got caught up in the moment and took out his frustration (as Johnsons often do - I am a Johnson, and some of my posts have been reactionary rather than intelligent).

Johnson had to have been incredibly disappointed to lose this game, he just made a bad move in the heat of the moment.

Intent will be the key issue when they review this... it is much more damning than the effect of the contact.

Glen Erickson

Oct 16, 2005
Bruwinz37 said:

You make a good point. A little self-preservation, rather than a meaningless whack with the stick and we don't have a thread here...

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Ice said:
I watched it in HiDef with a DVR and I replayed it a few times. It was impossible to tell how much contact there actually was but it looked vicious and certainly the intext was vicious. He could have at least aimed for mid-section instead of the face. Probably a split-second poor decision that he'll regret for quite some time.

to be honest when i first saw the replay i though he was diving also, but after a couple replays it hard to tell, the way the ref put up his arms quickly makes me think it was a bad hit.

As for JJ regretting it, in the big picture this is a meaningless tournament in his career and money making potential. JJ will now have a reputation as a mean mother f'er, which will only help him in his career.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
Ice said:

I think the determining factor is if Downie sits out a game. No doubt for someone to be down that long like they were shot means he must have been concussed. Surely he will miss at least one game should that be the case. If he doesnt then I think it is at least reasonable to assume that he put on a bit of an act.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:

Are you KIDDING?????????

take a look at it another 20 times and seriously re think your post, absolute homer response.

HILLARIOUS :help:

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
Bruwinz37 said:
I think the determining factor is if Downie sits out a game. No doubt for someone to be down that long like they were shot means he must have been concussed. Surely he will miss at least one game should that be the case. If he doesnt then I think it is at least reasonable to assume that he put on a bit of an act.

But Canada gets the bye, so you could argue that he sat out the Quarterfinal game.

Edit: Assuming he suits up for the Semi.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
I thought Jack Johnson was suppose to be a tough guy. Got fed his lunch all game and then reacted like a punk. More than that it was absolutely selfish. Took himself out of the tournament because he felt like indulging himself rather than playing thru stuff to help his team. If JJ had played Junior Hockey he would have learned the kind of mental toughness that gets you through situations like this. Instead he disgraced himself and his team.

Bruwinz37

Feb 27, 2002
phaneuf_fan_3 said:
Are you KIDDING?????????

take a look at it another 20 times and seriously re think your post, absolute homer response.

HILLARIOUS :help:

Read what I posted. I said I didnt see a good camera angle that showed the hit that well. I watched on TSN just like everyone else. If they showed other angles I didnt see it. I just said, due to his reputation, that I would not doubt if Downie embellished. If he sits out next game I think it will be clear I was wrong. If he isnt, then why was he down so long. The question has to at least be asked.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
Bruwinz37 said:
Throwing a clean body check and slashing someone at the end of a game arent the same. Neither were the retaliations. Good try though.....that all ya got?

slashing him at the end of the game LMFAO.......he tapped him twice and johnson tapped him twice, then johnson throws a flying elbow.....bad bad downie you should be suspended Johnson shouldnt have got a penalty at all right????

LMFAO HOMER

therealdeal

Apr 22, 2005
Also what you pro-JJ people fail to realize, is that whether or not he did get downie clean or not, the intent was still the same, as I said before, he's no better than Todd Bertuzzi, just not as strong or precise.

Letang fan 58

No More Fleury
May 12, 2004
Canada
I will not comment on any homer posts from this point forward.

My thoughts on this is that Jack Johnson deserves a suspension, at least 1 game, likely for the tourney, I am not comparing this to Bertuzzi as bertuzzi's broke a neck, Johnson made a disgraceful display for team usa and def. deserves a suspension.

end of subject.

Misos Milakos*

zenator1 said:
Exactly what I was gonna say.

= Domi on Niedermayer

How many games did Tie get ?

I predict Jack-a$$ is out for the tourney.

Selfish player. Tarnishes his team.

Domi was gone for the rest of the playoffs, and I think the first 10 or so games of following year. Johnson should be gone for the rest of the tournament.

Nazzy-19

Mar 3, 2004
Vancouver
therealdeal said:
Also what you pro-JJ people fail to realize, is that whether or not he did get downie clean or not, the intent was still the same, as I said before, he's no better than Todd Bertuzzi, just not as strong or precise.

I think when the IIHF reviews this incident that is what it will come down to. Intent. This was a blatant intent to injure and he will likely be punished accordingly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad