The Devils vs. The waiver wire

McJags

Oct 1, 2007
So there's 10 days basically to go until rosters have to be finalized (Sept. 30th). Assuming Lou doesn't make a move before then, what do the Devils do with their roster and the waiver wire?

Do they keep Tedenby, Urbom and Josefson so they don't have to put them through waivers? Or do they take a chance? Assuming nobody is put on IR (Jagr, Clowe, Tedenby) what would you like to see them do and what do you think they'll do?

For me I think Harrold should be put on waivers for sure, better chance he clears. For forwards, I think you put Barch and Gionta on waivers as there's more upside with the younger guys.

ryangib

May 4, 2009
I don't think Harrold clears. I think he's got a decent enough upside that I'm sure a few teams would take a flyer on him.

Send barch to the arctic circle for all I care.

McJags

Oct 1, 2007
So who would you rather lose, Harrold or Urbom? If that's the choice, a 22 yr old wtih upside or a 30 yr old 7th dman?

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Final Cut:
Zajac
Elias
Zubrus
Jagr
Ryder
Clowe
Brunner
Loktionov
Olesz
Bernier
Carter
Henrique
Tedenby
Josefson
----------------------
Gionta, Barch, Janssen, Matteau, Sestito, Sislo

Greene
Salvador
Volchenkov
Larsson
Fayne
Gelinas
Zidlicky
---------------
Harrold, Merrill, Severson, Burlon, Young

Total: 23 man roster (including MB and Schneider)

Gelinas > Harrold only because Gelinas has looked so smooth skating wise and he looks like he could immediately contribute offensively and in breaking out. Gelinas + the other 6 guys is fine because Salvador/Volchenkov/Zidlicky may need rest in back to backs, injuries, etc.

Keep Josefson/Tedenby up to start the season to see if Loktionov/Brunner/Olesz establish their games. Maybe even keep them up because with guys like Clowe, Jagr, etc. they may need a game off on back to backs and Josefson/Tedenby should be able to step in.

In any given night there will be 3 guys in the press box but we have some older guys so they won't be there for any longer stretch of games.

fortheloveof666

Resident soothsayer
Feb 22, 2007
Dirty Jerz
So who would you rather lose, Harrold or Urbom? If that's the choice, a 22 yr old wtih upside or a 30 yr old 7th dman?

Given our penchant for players leaving and then coming back, I actually don't know if I actually fear losing Urbom. His upside so far has really just been his shot, which hasn't even produced much in point totals anyway. And considering he's never even finished a season anywhere as a + professionally..we'd be losing potential.

Harrold has proven he's game to do what the team needs of him, as evidenced by this time at wing. Where, I think it's hard to argue, he did a pretty damn good job at grinding.

Capability over potential. Urbom could always make his way back.

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009

I don't think Urbom has to go through waivers. He can just be assigned he is still on his ELC. And isn't there a certain date where anytime before it you can just assign players to Albany without going through waivers?

apice3*

Harrold is the perfect #7. He's not going anywhere. You can't just pick your 7 best D-men just to scratch one. That's pointless and creates the same situation as last year. Gelinas may start the year in Albany just by default.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Here's the thing everyone is making cuts at the same time so the concern about someone no clearing is minimal. Teams have to make room at this point to pick someone up (unlike maybe later in the year when injuries start).

Remember Bobby Butler last year was pciked up multiple times on waivers during the year, but cleared to start.

It is something to keep in mind (especially regarding top prospects), but not an overly major concern

Czech Trio

Aug 29, 2009
Harrold is the perfect #7. He's not going anywhere. You can't just pick your 7 best D-men just to scratch one. That's pointless and creates the same situation as last year. Gelinas may start the year in Albany just by default.

Its perfectly fine to run a 7 man rotation with a young guy when you have Zidlicky (36), Salvador (37), and Volchenkov on the team.

It would stupid to put Gelinas down just because we have Volch/Zidlicky/Salvador under contract and we cannot trade one. They are far from iron horses and they WILL get hurt and banged up.

Gelinas has gotten everything out of the AHL. We can have him another year there. Give him a chance.

jkrdevil

UnRegistered User
Apr 24, 2006
Miami
Anyways, I cut Gionta and Barch. Barring a trade Gelinas starts in Albany and will be first call up when a defensemen gets injured.

And sign Brunner

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Its perfectly fine to run a 7 man rotation with a young guy when you have Zidlicky (36), Salvador (37), and Volchenkov on the team.

It would stupid to put Gelinas down just because we have Volch/Zidlicky/Salvador under contract and we cannot trade one. They are far from iron horses and they WILL get hurt and banged up.

Gelinas has gotten everything out of the AHL. We can have him another year there. Give him a chance.
You really think the coach is gonna play Gelinas over those guys if we have 8 D? Maybe if they're day to day with injuries.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Here's the thing everyone is making cuts at the same time so the concern about someone no clearing is minimal. Teams have to make room at this point to pick someone up (unlike maybe later in the year when injuries start).

I was just going to say that. Remember, EVERYONE is making cuts, and I'm sure everyone has to put players on waivers that they don't want to. If we put our players on waivers at the same time, we stand a chance for them to pass through.

Devil X

Call me Nostradamus
Jul 9, 2007
Bergen County
This will be the toughest call to make. I think the forwards is easier then D. I know Pete loves Gio but i think his time has come to an end, also being on a 2-way and having the 2 salaries hurts him. Barch should be cut not even a 2nd thought.

Now I do not agree with cutting Harrold. Its very hard to find Dman that can not play a game for 3 weeks come in and play well. I dont want any of our young guys sitting behind all those players also. While i agree right now that Gelinas should make the team i think he starts in the AHL unless Lou moves a Dman.

I just hope Urbom makes it through waivers.

GameSeven

ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς
Jan 11, 2008
Anyways, I cut Gionta and Barch. Barring a trade Gelinas starts in Albany and will be first call up when a defensemen gets injured.

And sign Brunner

I agree with this, and I hate to say it as I want Gelinas up with the big club. But, until a spot open up (which would be likely to be soon), it's the most logical outcome.

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Any chance that Jon Merrill makes the team? Or he's gonna starts in Albany? Thanks for the input.

No chance Merrill makes the team unless he seriously outplays almost everyone in the remaining preseason games. Urbom and Gelinas are ahead of him on the depth chart, they've both had more experience defending professional players, and both of them have shown they can play through a full season of 70+ games. Jon Merrill's played 52 organized games since 2011.

I didn't mean any of that to sound snarky, just trying to educate. A lot of us have really high hopes for Merrill, but the Devils' log jam on defense is such that Merrill would have to blow the coaching staff away to really be considered.

Uli Hiemer

Dr. Evil
Oct 19, 2011
Queens
I hope they don't cut Gio but if they do, I'm curious if there's any team out there that would be interested.....

he'd be the easiest to cut, and he'd probably pass through.

he needs to go, but deboer seems to be in love with him so i doubt it.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
I doubt Harrold's going anywhere. Hes one of Pete's boys and plays his role perfectly.

Urbom would probably make it through waivers if they decided to go that route. He hasn't shown nearly enough at the NHL level for someone to really be interested in him.

I don't think anyone would claim Gionta unless someone is really desperate for a 4th line center who can't win draws.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad