Proposal: The Devils Should Trade Travis Zajac At The Draft

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL
Too much reading for me. I don't see any circumstances in which moving him would improve this group. You wanna move him for picks and forward prospects or a reclamation project? I don't see how that helps us for 2013/14 and yea like others have said, he's the only actual proven center on the team. Everybody else is young and still has question marks. Your thinking way too outside the box for trying to improve the team. We don't need THAT big of shakeup.

B A T M A N

Nobody would want him with that disgusting new contract he signed. We're boned, stuck with him.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The only sure NHL centerman on your list is Zajac.

And Zajac and Kovalchuk showed a ton of chemistry, does no one remember the Kovalchulk-Zajac-Palmieri line? I think the problem there is that Zajac and Kovy work best when Kovy is on Travis' left, so Travis can hit him with forehand passes instead of backhand passes on the rush.

Finally, are we really going to trade Zajac for yet another young, unproven center in Burmistrov?

The Kovy-Zajac-Palmeri line was really a one-man show, Travis's numbers have never spiked with Kovy. This constant need to have the two of them together is like when the Devils kept trying to shoehorn Gomez with Elias. For years it didn't work, even in '03. Finally, in '04-06 it did.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
As said, no one is taking that contract.

And it's not because of 1 bad year. He's 3 years deep if u include the injury last year.

Just have to hope he can rebound.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
yea lets trade the only guy who can win faceoffs consistently and an elite defensive forward for unknowns. sounds great!

is he overpaid? probably. do I care? not in the slightest. because we're a better team with him than without him

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
U don't pay centerman 8 years $46 million to win faceoffs and play defense.

We as Devils fans need to cross our fingers and hope he can find his offensive touch.

RSeen

Oct 26, 2011
Toronto
He is grossly overpaid. Knew it from the moment that contract was announced. He is not as good as the numbers showed when Parise helped pad his stats. Can't see anyone wanting his contract.

kiwidevil

I want to pick up another centre from UFA/Trade. A 2nd/3rd line tweener would be ideal.

apice3*

I had 0 problems with the contract when it was signed, and I have 0 problems with the contract right now.

If he puts up 40 points a season, the contract is fair. If he can channel 60 again, it's a bargain.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
So that is a consensus No.

I'm fine with that, I don't hate Zajac. He is a very good player and will help the Devils next season. I just hope he can bounce back and he can show the form of 3-4 seasons ago.

Personally, if we choose to shop him around the league, I think we would get very good offers. I don't think his contract is that bad.

kiwidevil

So that is a consensus No.

I'm fine with that, I don't hate Zajac. He is a very good player and will help the Devils next season. I just hope he can bounce back and he can show the form of 3-4 seasons ago.

Personally, if we choose to shop him around the league, I think we would get very good offers. I don't think his contract is that bad.

What centre would you want back for Zajac? Or do you want to run with Henrique, Loktinonov and Josefson?

apice3*

Zajac is the only true center we have. One can argue that Gionta, Loktionov, Josefson, Henrique, Elias, and Zubrus are literally all better suited as wingers.

Balance

Jesus loves you!
May 20, 2013
Depending on Henrique is 10x the risk compared to depending on Zajac.

Only centerman I'd move is Henrique and that's only if it'd be at a good price which I really doubt.

apice3*

I wouldn't move anyone. If I had to pick, Josefson in a package deal, but I like our center depth.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
What centre would you want back for Zajac? Or do you want to run with Henrique, Loktinonov and Josefson?

If the deal happens, we can immediately go to the UFA pool and get a good top 2 line center to replace Zajac for potentially a upgrade on what we are currently paying Zajac - Weiss, Ribeiro, Roy, Filppula can do a job for the next 2 - 4 seasons.

Even if that doesn't happen, I wouldn't be against giving Henrique, Loktionov and Josefson a shot, providing Elias and Zubrus re-sign and I would use our top picks in this upcoming draft to pick a center so that they can be transitioned into the lineup in a season or 2. The key is to re-sign both Elias and Zubrus so that we have their flexibility to plug holes at center if Josefson and Loktionov struggle - I don't have any concerns about Henrique, he is a keeper.

NC107*

Consider the following: Playing 20 minutes 5 on 5 with Zajac the goal for production is .581 and the goal against is .083. That terrific defensively but no scoring. With Henrique it's GF 1.02 1 and GA 1.148. With Loktionov it's GF .0393 and GA 1.31. The Devils are a low scoring team with little reason at this point to think this will change. Zajac offers the best protection with Kovy when Kovy makes a defensive error. Kovy has been playing too many minutes to be that effective. Kovy should be on his natural side LW. then Kovy and Travis haven't had a good wing to play with since he signed the big contract. Don't blame Zajac.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad