The Devils have swept the season series against the Lightning.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I think it's fair to say that if you are a contender, nothing short of a cup should be considered a success, but that's my standards.
I get that, but becoming a contender in the first place is a success as well. NYR had to do that to even get to the position - kudos to their teams in those years just like kudos to the Devils team this year for getting it together.

Reactions: Palpatine

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
as a matter of fact, yes, the devils have quite a history of success against the tampa bay lightning.

in 97 regular season games all time, the devils hold a .665 points percentage at 58-26-7-6 against the lightning at 3.19 gf/g and 2.34 ga/g.

we've also beaten them both times we've seen them in the playoffs at a combined record of 8-3.
Woah!

Cool.

And maybe 3 players from each team played for even 50% of those games. It’s 2018 bruh. Nobody playing cares about 90s teams vs 90eams. Nobody playing on the Lightning today is like “Remember 2003!”

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Woah!

Cool.

And maybe 3 players from each team played for even 50% of those games. It’s 2018 bruh. Nobody playing cares about 90s teams vs 90eams. Nobody playing on the Lightning today is like “Remember 2003!”

:huh:

You literally asked, “Is there some history between the two teams I’m forgetting?”

The word “history” means only one thing so I shared some history. You never inquired about the relevancy of it.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
:huh:

You literally asked, “Is there some history between the two teams I’m forgetting?”

The word “history” means only one thing so I shared some history. You never inquired about the relevancy of it.
It was 100% implied by the post’s first tone given I was questioning the thread’s relevancy, but no reason for any of us to continue to waste time talking Semantics

Last edited:
Reactions: New Jersey

Bramskii

Jul 23, 2007
Toronto
I get that, but becoming a contender in the first place is a success as well. NYR had to do that to even get to the position - kudos to their teams in those years just like kudos to the Devils team this year for getting it together.
As much as I hate them, I think it's foolish to not acknowledge the Rangers consistency over the last few years as successful. To be a perennial cup contender year in year out is no small feat.

Uncle Dru

Formerly Kakk Addict
Mar 12, 2012
"slight" even with two cups and three finals appearances in four seasons and the rangers missing the playoffs with the highest payroll in hockey. :biglaugh:

so do i, our's is a good example that rivalries aren't totally dead in the nhl, despite hf's cries about how soft and mundane everything is nowadays. hilarious to me is that whenever we showcase the vitriol the two fan bases have still for each other, we typically get shut down and will proceed to read another thread about how rivalries are dead in this league.

I was being sarcastic...I still havent fully recovered from those years

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Why is this even a thread? It's three games and it's the regular season... The Sabres have also won us twice in a row and could very well make that three when we face them at the end of the season.

New Jersey

(pacmanghost x) sad again
Sep 7, 2009
*intro to the sopranos*
twitter.com
Why is this even a thread? It's three games and it's the regular season... The Sabres have also won us twice in a row and could very well make that three when we face them at the end of the season.

OP appears to be a Canucks fan, so this is an extremely valid question.

Devils are in a position right now where if we're the last team in, it's because we came up big against elite teams like the Bolts.

If we're the first team out, it's because of how inconsistent we were against shitty teams.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
OP appears to be a Canucks fan, so this is an extremely valid question.

Devils are in a position right now where if we're the last team in, it's because we came up big against elite teams like the Bolts.

If we're the first team out, it's because of how inconsistent we were against ****ty teams.
I wonder if he made a thread last season when the Canucks won all their games against the Bolts.

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I watched the last couple of games against them and both games the Lightning outplayed them but the Devils were the more opportunistic and scored on their opportunities. Also I like how structured they play. They could be tough in the playoffs. They also got really good goaltending from Lack and Kincaid. I think as long as their goaltending holds up they got a chance to surprise some teams.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

did you not see our banner and t-shirts?

this is huge

Reactions: JoVel

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
2 regulation wins and 1 shootout win.
200w.webp

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
Could be an interesting first round in the East.
Tampa vs New Jersey and Boston vs Toronto. Both underdogs have owned the favourite over the last year +

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
Lol you just said making the playoffs was "a pretty big success" one page ago and now you're saying conference finals, cup finals and presidents trophies aren't because you have high standards.

For sure, I haven no issue with that or the Devils in general really.

Just find it really silly that the particular poster quoted was saying NYR making the finals wasn't a success but the Devils maybe making the playoffs is.

It’s simple. The franchise’s overall success since becoming a team is why we have higher standards than the Rangers. More championships.

This current teams transformation from dead last in the east to possible playoff birth is a success for these current players.

Don’t you think the Pens have bragging rights over the Flyers (other rivals) for their overall success?

Jerzey Devil

Jerzey-Duz-It
Jun 11, 2010
St. Augustine, FL
I hear you. I grew up in Morris County. But the last thing on my mind right now is how the Rangers are doing. Who cares? They're like 10 points out of the playoff race. In my mind the "enemies" right now are Philly, CBJ and Florida.

Eh, what happens, happens. I have no control over it. I’m just here to enjoy the ride. And kicking Rangers fans while they’re down is part of my ride. Especially if they’re going to troll us. Remember when we were 20-0-5 against them over a few seasons?

NjDevsRR

Hard To Find
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Dumb thread and a lot of talk like the Devils are in the postseason. Still a long ways to go.

Just make the playoffs please.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad