News Article: The Detroit Red Wings' slow, painful 'Yzerplan' is finally starting to pay off (ESPN)

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
I mean I agree with Holland's analysis that 2018 was our first rebuild year, but Holland's thoughts on holding on until the wheels fall off is how you end up in a 10 year rebuild. It's also how you get looped into bad contracts that inhibit your ability to be a profitable team. Yes rebuilds do take some luck, but if you have a competent scouting team, get high draft picks, and do a good job managing your assets it shouldn't take that long to rebuild. It make take you 10 years to be a legit cup contender but you if you are a bottom 5 finish for 4-5 years you should be able to put together a good team.

The minute we were unable to replace Lidstrom with a similar level player (not Lids obviously but at least a top 2 dman) we should have started the rebuild. We had a defense that was basically Kronwall from that point out until basically this season. You aren't going to win with that. So I get taking your shot at Suter, but the minute that failed and we weren't able to acquire another dman of that level we should have been moving towards the rebuild. You hold on to Z and maybe Kronwall but you deal everyone else. Guys like Franzen, Datsyuk, Quincey, Abby, Helm, Howard, etc. should be dealt. Load up on draft picks and accept the tank for a few seasons. You have a few key vets to guide the process and you embrace the youth movement. Guys like Tats and Nyquist get full time spots sooner. You have some top 5 picks to bring in like we are doing with Seider & Ray now. If you take on bad cap hits, do it for picks or prospects, not to extend a non existent window. 10 years of muck happens when you don't have cap space because of bad contracts, you have incompetent management & scouts, and terrible luck. But this assessment is purely from a hockey standpoint. It is not factoring in things like needing to pay for a new arena, trading fan favorites that drive both ticket and jersey sales, or the drive of a very competitive owner. You can't be nostalgic if you want to be as competitive as possible most of the time.

Building a contender or a cup winner is not so easy as the posters on this board think it is.
Just look at our 2002 team. We won 4 series, but the only easy win was vs blues. The proof is the next year as we lost in round 1.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
I'll give Holland credit for improving Oilers. It's one thing to inherit franchise level talent and it's another to actually build a competitive team around them.

EDIT: I think his short term game is stronger than his long term.

Also funny how his playoff streak is longer, than any other current GMs.

19 years in-a-row at Detroit and 3 Cups as a GM. No one can match that and that's how "bad" long-term builder he is. :laugh:

Killerjas

Mar 6, 2017
Netherlands
Slow? Nah quite typical for a rebuilding team to rebuild for 2/3 years
Painful? Nah not really, we had some amazing trades and drafted well. Not in the slightest painful

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
The minute we were unable to replace Lidstrom with a similar level player (not Lids obviously but at least a top 2 dman) we should have started the rebuild.
That would have been starting at almost nothing. Very difficult. I think it's possible we would have stayed outside the playoffs for 8-9 years in that scenario.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Remember how Brett Hull wanted a Cup and Kenny only had to say "name your price"?
Then the Salary Cap happened and Kenny was well, a GM who should have never "sniffed" the Hall of Fame.
Kenny is on his way to another cup. Probably more than 1.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
So happy Holland is gone, so happy Yzerman is here.

That's all that really needs to be said with regard to Holland. I was so thrilled when Yzerman came back, he could have stayed in Tampa with the team he built and get his name on a couple more Cups but he did the hard thing and came back to Detroit to do a proper rebuild. Yes, his family was still here but my appreciation for the Captain has only grown as he has taken on this new role.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
Cities are personal preferences, we should really just drop that subject. Some people even like Minnesota, remember Parise and Suter?

Stevie doesn't need any freebies anyways, he'll just keep stealing from other GMs.
When does that start? So far Fabbri is the only trade he has won and he can't stay healthy.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
When does that start? So far Fabbri is the only trade he has won and he can't stay healthy.

I would say that we 110% won the Mantha trade and I was a huge Mantha fan. We got a player of very similar value + 1st + 2nd..

Reactions: TheClap

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
That's all that really needs to be said with regard to Holland. I was so thrilled when Yzerman came back, he could have stayed in Tampa with the team he built and get his name on a couple more Cups but he did the hard thing and came back to Detroit to do a proper rebuild. Yes, his family was still here but my appreciation for the Captain has only grown as he has taken on this new role.
If he stayed in Tampa they probably don't win those cups.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
I would say that we 110% won the Mantha trade and I was a huge Mantha fan. We got a player of very similar value + 1st + 2nd..
We got an inferior player who was already injured. Then we squandered the picks. Now we have AA 2.0 on IR and a goalie prospect. They have Anthony Mantha.
There's a reason that deal happened and it isn't because Yzerman is so smart and they are so dumb.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
I am pissed about the headline, but I forced myself to read the article before commenting out of respect for you. It did confirm that the author is barely sentient.

"Slow" shows that the author thinks he had a better plan even though the author has ALREADY (not "Finally") been proven wrong, and even so, they're still very much attached to their idiocy.

Revenge of Gru

Jul 31, 2021
You can laugh but the fact is that Yzerman started with a conference final team complete with Baby Stammer/Hedman and in 8 years never won a cup. We can pretend Brisbois had nothing to do with getting them over the hump but we'd only be fostering delusions.
If I want to win the cup I pick a GM that has actually done it. Yzerman will return this team to the playoffs but I will believe he can build a cup team when he actually does it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
You can laugh but the fact is that Yzerman started with a conference final team complete with Baby Stammer/Hedman and in 8 years never won a cup. We can pretend Brisbois had nothing to do with getting them over the hump but we'd only be fostering delusions.
If I want to win the cup I pick a GM that has actually done it. Yzerman will return this team to the playoffs but I will believe he can build a cup team when he actually does it.

Your agenda is exhausting. Yzerman drafted a top 5 player (Kucherov) and another top 25 player or so (Point) to that team.

Go back under the bridge you came from.

Reactions: RedHawkDown

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
  • Erne for 4th
  • Ned for 3rd - though I don't like his style, it's still a damn good deal
  • Marc Staal - free 2nd rounder plus we even re-signed him. Slow, but decent 3rd pair veteran D
  • Vrana/Mantha deal - Sure Vrana's injured and I don't like using the 1st on a goalie, but that doesn't mean the trade itself wasn't good. Vrana injured himself over the summer after he had played for the team.
  • 4th for Nemeth - not much return but Nemeth was an UFA signing
  • AA - Sold while he still had value
  • Mike Green - not much return but better than nothing
  • Fabbri
  • Savard deal

Trades I didn't like:
  • I think he overpaid for Leddy, but it's still working out well regardless of the price
  • Every trade up in the draft, seems like this team gets a lot of FOMO in the draft
  • Mitchell Stephens is a dime a dozen players

Also didn't like signing Rowney, totally useless.

Not sure why you're still complaining since the team looks better than expected with Stevie's draft picks outperforming expectations by a considerable margin. The team is actually interesting to watch, and they're gonna have an absolute ridiculous defense tandem with Seider and Edvinsson for the next decade. I don't know if this team will win the Cup again in my lifetime, but the dumpster fire has been extinguished.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Some people even like Minnesota

giphy.webp

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Your agenda is exhausting. Yzerman drafted a top 5 player (Kucherov) and another top 25 player or so (Point) to that team.

Go back under the bridge you came from.

Not to mention this infamous trade

Detroit - Kyle Quincey
Colodado - 6th round pick
Tampa Bay - eventually Andrei Vasilevskiy

Damn that Steve Yzerman, he has such a bad habit of using mid-1st round picks on goalies and they never pan out.

jfrank21

Oct 1, 2009
I don't typically ignore people, but I have finally Ousted the Annoying F***. Holy cow, talk about never adding anything to a convo and being a non stop troll.

But anyway, you have to give Stevie props, I thought playoffs year after next if things panned out well, but at this point it's looking like there's a good chance for playoffs next season. Future is looking bright!

dalem177

Plausible Keats
Oct 4, 2021
Minnesota

I've come to like MN a lot, and I even followed the Wild closely for a few years, but since I cut the cord it's been almost impossible to catch any home games so I have no idea anymore. I've seen them play the Wings here 3x I think, in person. The Excel Center is a nice venue IMO.

Reactions: Bench

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad